• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taiwan Bee not so nano

I've been having the same problem since my rescape, I've lost blue bolts, blue shadoe mouras and alot of other shrimp. I feel your pain, I hope I can get into on top of it soon.

I have embers is with my red rili shrimp in my high tech setup, loads of shrimp and babies in there, I've never seen them eat one. I sure you'll be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not much to update, started adding BT9 again to help bacterial colonies given the deaths of late. Still no new deaths so looking positive.
Carpet had it's first trim today, it's filling in pretty well for the light level.
Some new pics to keep track.
4a2b35a3b2e84c863a14f78263e49885.jpg
3fc24cffcd530a9880b3ba99a385a4f9.jpg
ab06a6f4fb3a2dc1962054359cb69ed1.jpg
8f7a9c4344a57d3e9716df8059361d90.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Water fleas have gone bananas! I remove about the same amount as in the video every 3 days at water change but they just keep coming.

Anyone have any info on their lifecycle, maybe it can be interrupted? @dw1305
Really loathed to put a few fish in as unlikely I'll get them out again with the glued hardscape

Fish traps :)

Trio of juvenile molly should do it & they’re usually easy enough to net later
Or guppy group etc

I was going to suggest a Betta but best not to test with rare/expensive shrimp - individually some Betta seem to instantly hunt shrimp, others take weeks to months before deciding to try out the shrimp banquet, a few seem to never go shrimp hunting ...

(I’ve had single angel, betta, licorice gourami, ram juveniles that instantly went on shrimp killing sprees (separated by time & distance) - not eating but a slash & hunt frenzy :eek: )

Or perhaps some micro fish species that will happily coexist with shrimp long term

I suspect continued shrimp deaths were related back to the heater issue - if shrimp arrive in poor condition, significant number dead in bag or dying within a few days, mortality rate in that group will be higher over the next months as well.

Macro photos are great for seeing early signs of disease

Fish traps :)

Trio of juvenile molly should do it & they’re usually easy enough to net later
Or guppy group etc

I was going to suggest a Betta but best not to test with rare/expensive shrimp - individually some Betta seem to instantly hunt shrimp, others take weeks to months before deciding to try out the shrimp banquet, a few seem to never go shrimp hunting ...

(I’ve had single angel, betta, licorice gourami, ram juveniles that instantly went on shrimp killing sprees (separated by time & distance) - not eating but a slash & hunt frenzy :eek: )

Or perhaps some micro fish species that will happily coexist with shrimp long term
Hey, really not looking to put some fish in, just know it will be a nightmare to get them out.

So I increased the temp a few days ago to 24 and increased water changes, so far the reproduction of the fleas seems to have slowed.
The ficus in the filter is pretty established again and making it's way up the wall, filter maintenance will be impossible again at this rate.
833e5e74a9e284beccbec40c88de1dd6.jpg
46a1190281647b0a644eded6fa7bbb92.jpg

Lovely little tank, love the emerse growth and you sicken me with the ease at which you grow carpets :D
Kitchen looks spot on btw, and that splash back is epic, along with the painstakingly polished concrete worktop too of course.

Lovely little tank, love the emerse growth and you sicken me with the ease at which you grow carpets :D
Kitchen looks spot on btw, and that splash back is epic, along with the painstakingly polished concrete worktop too of course.
Hey Ady, thanks mate. The carpet is just Monte Carlo so couldn't really be any easier. Can't wait to see your now pal.

Added a handful of blue shadow mosura bees, this should help the gene pool somewhat as well as increase the likely hood of more interesting bees appearing. They seem to have settled well and growing fast.
480aa26665837d2b04fa791b4398cd5c.jpg
8c6e9dc107db8f906f2f32d78d847b6b.jpg

Very nice, and without co2!

Can you tell me the name of the plant in the filter?

And What's your routine with the pilea? It's looking awesome, mine seems dying and making some small curly leaves

Very nice, and without co2!

Can you tell me the name of the plant in the filter?

And What's your routine with the pilea? It's looking awesome, mine seems dying and making some small curly leaves
The plant in the filter is ficus Columbia from dartfrog http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/plants.html

The carpet is Monte Carlo, it's really no trouble as long as it has good flow around it. It's had a couple of trims already, if it's not kept short it starts going upwards..

Hey, I missed this bit, the pilea.... It's done really well for me as it's only about a year old and was 3 inches tall when I got it. All the new leaves come through curled up and can take a week or two to unfurl. The hard bit I find is stopping the older big leaves from yellowing and dropping off.
The only care it gets is a really good weekly watering, standing in the sink for half a day. But I won't do it until the soil is pretty dry, it likes a to dry out between soaks. Every other week I've now started using seaweed plant feed in the sink water as well.

Hi , really love the tank. Do you reckon I could use some ficus pumila to achieve the same result in my HOB?

Ticking along nicely, had a good trim of the old leaves on the needle leaf microsorum as they were gathering algae as old leaves do and a partial trim of the carpet to keep it compact.
The original leaves on the crypts and buces also still had the old hard diatoms from set up so trimmed most and added 6 horned zebra nerites who have started the clean up process.
Had the first shrimp hormone frenzy a few days ago so hopefully start seeing babies in about 30 days but may be sooner as have seen a few berried females before.

0df475219720ba2b3517ca3e306e4ae0.jpg
d40cb08b12bf3c004f2c5256a4410d4e.jpg
aa070fd1d62c48873909fab07ff4a962.jpg

Back