• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Swiss Plants

Texfoto

Seedling
Hello all,
I recently had plants go bad in the aquarium and got rid of them. I bought some more healthy ones and not a week in they have already started with the same symptoms as my previous. Not all plants in the Aquarium are having a problem, just this type. I'd love to tell you the name of them but I don't have that I'm afraid. Only liquid carbon added a few times a week and I did add some root tabs from API that contain iron and potassium. Substate already has iron in it as well. As you can see they look like Swiss cheese. They will gradually get worse and die off like the last ones. I do have good lighting in the aquarium for about 8 hours a day.
0e26d664910c8e6a65e14876577e27b0.jpg

Any suggestions?

Sent via iPad using Tapatalk

Plant is some sort of amazon sword I think, I've not got any real experience of them. They aren't welcome in my little tank :p I'd presume its nutrient deficiency just based on the fact that you don't dose anything. It may be potassium deficiency but the holes are quite dramatic. Do you have any possible suspects? :pompus: Lots of snails, or a pleco?

I'd start dosing some fertilisers first and see if that helps. You should be doing it anyways really so there's no drawback! But it is quite a soft plant so if a pleco is going to damage anything, it'll be this.

It's damage through a wels/catfish, ik think i even see the culprit in the pic. Feed the catfish veggies. If the leaves are emersed leaves (before the plant makes submersed ones) they go bad and may be extra tasty for the fish.

Hi all,
Lots of snails, or a pleco?
It's damage through a wels/catfish, ik think i even see the culprit in the pic. Feed the catfish veggies. If the leaves are emersed leaves (before the plant makes submersed ones) they go bad and may be extra tasty for the fish.
Definitely the Ancistrus.

cheers Darrel

Thanks all. I have NOT been giving them nutrients which sounds silly but another type of plant I have never had an issue before. Got that one figured out now.

Regarding fish feeding on the leaves, I just confirmed this with 2 local LFS shops. I'll feed them more of their own food so they hopefully leave the plants alone.

Many thanks for,your replies.

Sent via iPad using Tapatalk

Back