• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Starting a dirted tank

duyentb

Seedling
Sorry I didn't know where to specifically post this, and I also wanted go get a lot of feedback. So I have decided to try a dirted tank in a 10g tank. I'm going to keep it low tech and simple. I plan on using miracle grow organic potting mix, if that works. So I wanted to know what kind of prepping I would have to do on the soil and how much of it to put in. Also how long will the soil last before I have to start adding root tabs? As a side note question, is a dirted tank something a rookie should be attempting or is more for the advanced hobbyist? Thanks for the help everyone!

Many 'garden' composts contain things you don't want, such as lime.

Using soil is neither good or bad, advanced or for novices- its cheap, gets results and can give issues.

Have a look at the EL NATURAL AND LOW TECH section for plenty of inspiration

There is a "sticky thread" on dirted tanks in the substrate section.

I used it in my first scape. I fount it lacks nutrients and should have spent more money on a better product. Plant grows is very slow.

MGOC is commonly used but does have a few problems. It tends to be a bit hot in the beginning and can benefit from a little soaking. This will also provide you the opportunity to remove the floaters such as bark. People find it is best to use it at a depth of about an inch and cap it with sand or something else in a layer at least another inch. Michael over at APC has a great thread on suitable soils.

I’m not sure it has a whole lot more to offer than the dirt in your backyard but then again I suppose that depends on the dirt in your backyard assuming you have a backyard in the first place.

There are many videos on yutube to find about setting up a dirted tank, with and without peat, with compost or without mixed with kitty litter etc... :) One practice all of them did is kinda drystart the cycle with only moist soil for several weeks.. I guess this is done, not to get those massive amonia and nitrite spikes in the water collum and so you do not need to do so many water changes to cycle it.

But i with Darrel on this one, loam is one of the best options.. it doesn't degrade so fast if it ever does ?? And it has good exchange capacities msot aquatic plant like it a lot. You could look in the pond section of the lfs for Water lily substate, this contains loam and everything else that rots and stinks.. ;) No pun intented. :D..

Personaly i'm not up to the challange, i'm not into organic substrates in aquariums.. I can agree with the fact that for slow burners with a lot of rooted plants it is a very good practice. Depending on what you planning to plant, still you can slow burn as good on substrates like Akadama, Fuji sand and other lava pumis related gravels and add root and water collum fertilization. Most low tech suitable plants are also not the plants that need lots of everything. :thumbup: Hence the nurseries grow them lush and green on rockwool. Emersed where they have loads of Co2. Submersed low tech and then give 'm a highly fertilized organic soil?? Doesn't realy make sence to me.. But that's probably just me.. :thumbup:

Hello there, I was thinking about a dirted tank at one point and came accross this guy from America called Dustin. He seems to be very keen on dirtied tanks here is a link to his web site. http://dustinsfishtanks.com/ This bloke is very loud but also amusing.

Dirted tank's are all I have ever done or plant's in pot's of dirt capped with gravel (large cichlid tank's)
Plant heavily,and leave plant's alone.
I have used miracle grow organic soil and plain old top soil which I add peat and cat litter to.
I just remove the big pieces of wood and smoosh the big clumps /clods of dirt.

Back