• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

So…. Have I made the biggest newbie mistake yet?

Jimmyc

Hi all. So I’ve stumbled across a couple of threads on here whilst having a general read about substrates. I have two tanks currently running, one of which I’m doing a dark start with and isn’t quite ready yet, and both tanks I’m using ADA Amazonia V2, with powersand advanced under this, as advised by a shop. I’m using tap water and I have no idea of the chemistry of it? but i do know we have very hard water. I was informed that using Amazonia would be absolutely fine with hard tap water, but after doing a little reading on here, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve actually made a big mistake. Stupidly, I should have done my own research, but after seeing a lot of YouTubers doing the same as me, or similar, i thought everything would be okay.

So, i wonder if anyone could help me out with what I’d need to do from here onwards in Lehman terms. I have put quite the sum of money into this, and rather than get caught out at the last minute, I’d rather plan ahead for when the time comes to change things about. Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I’m very new to this and I’m definitely willing to learn
Thanks
James

Hi James.

Welcome to the forum.

Could you link us to the articles you’ve read that have lead you to think you’ve made a mistake?

How hard is your water? You can get a water report from your local utility. If you’re not sure who that is, let us know where in the country you are and we can point you in the right direction. There’s lots of people on here with hard water who have amazing success and beautiful aquariums.

You’re in the best place for help though mate. The collective knowledge here is huge and everyone is supportive and helpful.

Sorry, I’m not clear as to what your big mistake is.
Sorry I didn’t quite get my point out there. So I was doing a general google search and aqua soil and tap water, it came up with discussion on here about hard water blocking the exchange capacity. There’s me thinking straight away, I’ve made a huge mistake etc. really i should have took a bit more time and explain myself better. My apologies.

Sorry I didn’t quite get my point out there. So I was doing a general google search and aqua soil and tap water, it came up with discussion on here about hard water blocking the exchange capacity. There’s me thinking straight away, I’ve made a huge mistake etc. really i should have took a bit more time and explain myself better. My apologies.

Plenty of people with harder water use aqua soil, if it does hinder the CEC of the soil, it wouldn't mean you're going to have a disaster with your new setup, just that it may not be able to buffer excess nutrients as well, there are of course ways to lower PH if you feel the need to go that route.

I agree. I am not an expert but I don't see what the big mistake is. I don't think you have done anything wrong. There will be some plants that wont do so well in harder water but in general you should be fine in my opinion.
Thanks. I’m sorry for not really putting my point across properly here, I was in kind of a rush yesterday 😅. From how i interpreted it was, that using aqua soil was a no no when it comes to hard tap water? and that to get the best out of it would be to use RO instead. Something to do with blocking the exchange capacity? and that it happens really quickly, and that you need to be careful with your fish. Since I’m new to this and just went with the advice from a shop, I thought nothing of it. Currently, my tank is thriving and plants seem to be really healthy, so I can see the benefits.

Plenty of people with harder water use aqua soil, if it does hinder the CEC of the soil, it wouldn't mean you're going to have a disaster with your new setup, just that it may not be able to buffer excess nutrients as well, there are of course ways to lower PH if you feel the need to go that route.
Thanks for your reassurance, and please excuse my ignorance.i know for you more experienced people, it must be tiring for people the likes of me that go head first into something without properly understanding the process, then coming onto places like this and asking the most basic of questions.

Hi James.

Welcome to the forum.

Could you link us to the articles you’ve read that have lead you to think you’ve made a mistake?

How hard is your water? You can get a water report from your local utility. If you’re not sure who that is, let us know where in the country you are and we can point you in the right direction. There’s lots of people on here with hard water who have amazing success and beautiful aquariums.

You’re in the best place for help though mate. The collective knowledge here is huge and everyone is supportive and helpful.
Thanks, i appreciate the fact you have taken your time and given some reassurance. I’m located in Herne Bay, Kent, which i know we have hard water? The thing is, I’m not the brightest spark out there 😁, so it’ll take me some time to even make sense of it all. Currently my planted tank is looking amazing so far ( well to me at least ) and nothing anywhere near as good as you seasoned pros on here. So I’m doing something right at least for now, but I’m willing to learn!

Thanks for your reassurance, and please excuse my ignorance.i know for you more experienced people, it must be tiring for people the likes of me that go head first into something without properly understanding the process, then coming onto places like this and asking the most basic of questions.

You are very welcome 🙂 Don't worry, it's the sort of hobby where you will always have more things you can learn - whether you've been doing it 2 months or 20 years. I don't tire of people like you, I only personally tire of the people who put lots of live fish in a tank and then start asking questions about if they should be in there together 😀

You are very welcome 🙂 Don't worry, it's the sort of hobby where you will always have more things you can learn - whether you've been doing it 2 months or 20 years. I don't tire of people like you, I only personally tire of the people who put lots of live fish in a tank and then start asking questions about if they should be in there together 😀
Thanks. I won’t be that person 😁, but i do tend to jump in the deep end, before learning to swim! Which tends to put me out of my comfort zone at times. I guess my next step would be to obtain a water report, and try to make sense of it all. Ultimately, my aim is to grow plants to put it simply, and I have my wife on board with it too. Though for her, it’s more about seeing fish, as opposed to me, it’s all about plants. So I’m having to trade off continuously, but it’s currently working for both of us.

Hi @Jimmyc use the below tutorial.

Thanks. I won’t be that person 😁, but i do tend to jump in the deep end, before learning to swim! Which tends to put me out of my comfort zone at times. I guess my next step would be to obtain a water report, and try to make sense of it all. Ultimately, my aim is to grow plants to put it simply, and I have my wife on board with it too. Though for her, it’s more about seeing fish, as opposed to me, it’s all about plants. So I’m having to trade off continuously, but it’s currently working for both of us.

Obtaining a water report will let you know more about what you're working with, obviously if you have a test kit you can test your water to get a rough idea of some of your parameters. Some people use tap water, some people use RO water, some people use rain water, there's lots of different ways to find success (and failure..) in fish/plant keeping. It's up to you how complicated and detailed you want things to be, I would suggest not going too crazy with how in-depth you monitor things to start off with or it can be a little overwhelming. Having stable parameters (PH/CO2/Lighting etc) should help lead to success, even if those parameters themselves aren't fine tuned. It's also better to change one thing at a time, then monitor if the changes have the desired affect, rather than constantly changing multiple variables. Hope that made some sort of sense! Looking forward to see your tank as it progresses 🙂

Edit - Spelling.

Last edited:
Obtaining a water report will let you know more about what you're working with, obviously if you have a test kit you can test your water to get a rough idea of some of your parameters. Some people use tap water, some people use RO water, some people use rain water, there's lots of different ways to find success (and failure..) in fish/plant keeping. It's up to you how complicated and detailed you want things to be, I would suggest not going to crazy with how in-depth you monitor things to start off with or it can be a little overwhelming. Having stable parameters (PH/CO2/Lighting etc) should help lead to success, even if those parameters themselves aren't fine tuned. It's also better to change one thing at a time then monitor if the changes has desired affect, rather than constantly changing multiple variables. Hope that made some sort of sense! Looking forward to see your tank as it progresses 🙂
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Absolutely i don’t want to get bogged down with the science behind it all, and trying to create problems for myself. I just got a little panicked when i started reading about aqua soil and hard water! I’m going to put that behind me now, and concentrate on just trying to grow the best plants i possibly can. Of course, in the midst of that, keeping fish healthy and the wife happy 😃. I’ve gone all out with regards to my setups! ( this is what I meant by jumping in the deep end ) all of my tanks will be co2 injected, daily fertiliser, and good quality lighting. Then at least i know i stand a good chance at it?
Thanks
James

Hi all,
it came up with discussion on here about hard water blocking the exchange capacity.
Active substrates (substrates that exchange a H+ ion for a calcium ion (Ca++) from the water column) will be exhausted a lot more quickly in harder water, they will stop having a water softening effect, but it doesn't really matter.

sphagnumcell-jpg.87045

and that to get the best out of it would be to use RO instead.
It would stay "active" for longer, have a look at <"Tropica soil raising my KH">. Personally I'm a rain water user.
I’m located in Herne Bay, Kent, which i know we have hard water?
It will. You can get figures from your water supplier, or <"just look at the map">, but all of the "North Kent Riviera" will have hard water from the chalk aquifer. In terms of fish there are some web pages that may be of interest <"Factsheets">.

I'll also add in @Mattant1984, as they don't live a million miles away.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Obtaining a water report will let you know more about what you're working with, obviously if you have a test kit you can test your water to get a rough idea of some of your parameters. Some people use tap water, some people use RO water, some people use rain water, there's lots of different ways to find success (and failure..) in fish/plant keeping. It's up to you how complicated and detailed you want things to be, I would suggest not going too crazy with how in-depth you monitor things to start off with or it can be a little overwhelming. Having stable parameters (PH/CO2/Lighting etc) should help lead to success, even if those parameters themselves aren't fine tuned. It's also better to change one thing at a time, then monitor if the changes have the desired affect, rather than constantly changing multiple variables. Hope that made some sort of sense! Looking forward to see your tank as it progresses 🙂

Edit - Spelling.

Attachments

• IMG_9897.jpeg
    IMG_9897.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9901.jpeg
    IMG_9901.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
Hi all,

Active substrates (substrates that exchange a H+ ion for a calcium ion (Ca++) from the water column) will be exhausted a lot more quickly in harder water, they will stop having a water softening effect, but it doesn't really matter.

sphagnumcell-jpg.87045

It would stay "active" for longer, have a look at <"Tropica soil raising my KH">. Personally I'm a rain water user.

It will. You can get figures from your water supplier, or <"just look at the map">, but all of the "N. Kent Riviera" will have hard water from the chalk aquifer. In terms of fish there are some web pages that may be of interest <"Factsheets">.

I'll also add in @Mattant1984, as they don't live a million miles away.

cheers Darrel
Thanks darrel, much appreciated. When i read that all the benefits of using aqua soil depletes quicker when using hard tap water, I kind of went into panic mode and thought I’d better get prepared now, than let it come up on me without any warning. I wasn’t made aware of this when we were planning things, and my main question was exactly this, how does this fair with hard water. So, it’s something that was on the back of my mind for some odd reason?
Thanks
James

Hi all,
and my main question was exactly this, how does this fair with hard water
It is a similar question to <"are these rocks suitable for my aquarium?"> If you already have hard, alkaline water? Then any limestone rocks you add won't make it any harder.

It is the same with your substrate, once the H+ ions have all been replaced with calcium ions (Ca++) ions etc. the substrate doesn't have any ion exchange capacity (in hard, alkaline water) and the Ca++ ions will be balanced between substrate and water. If you went to using RO (or rain) water at that point? Calcium (Ca++) and bicarbonate (2HCO3-) ions will be exchanged back into the tank water.
This is what me and the wife have done. I know it’s nothing spectacular in comparison to what the majority of you guys n gals do! But for our first attempt, we couldn’t be happier
I think you should be pretty pleased with that.
and thought I’d better get prepared now, than let it come up on me without any warning.
You can use your Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) to monitor the nutrient status of your aquarium, via the <"Duckweed Index">. Have a look at @keef321 <"pictures">, iron (Fe) is the most likely deficiency to develop as your water becomes harder and more alkaline.

cheers Darrel

Tank looks great! Plants all look healthy from what I can see and it looks like sensible stocking you've went with, it looks much better than my first effort a couple of years back 🙂

Back