• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snail eaters

What I found to remove MTS, was to get a coarse net that has holes big enough to pass the substrate, and then symphon the substrate through that and leaving just the larger snails on the net!
I do this on all my low techs with MTS, standard coarse net is fine for the sand I use in those and every so often remove the adults snails!

You’ll have to compromise somewhere mate.
Either take them out or start manually removing the MTP yourself.
I don’t think a fish will be the solution here.
Late of an evening, when I have lost the capacity for meaningful thought, I sometimes sit beside my shrimp / growout tank, using a drop tube to hoist snails from the substrate. It gives me a kind of solace.
Crush snails with your finger tips, free fish food.
This also brings a satisfaction, and it's excellent food for young livebearers.

The point is balance and compromise: I recognises the value of them. I'm not trying to eliminate them, but now and then a reduction in the population improves the aesthetic. The method you enjoy most / find least of a PITA .. that is the one that will work best. Learn to enjoy your snails, and learn to enjoy killing them.
I do also have a couple of assassin snails in there but tbh have noticed no significant reduction of the snails.

Hi all,
Late of an evening, when I have lost the capacity for meaningful thought, I sometimes sit beside my shrimp / growout tank, using a drop tube to hoist snails from the substrate. It gives me a kind of solace.
We may have <"some music for you">? If you aren't a Bobby Womack fan, there is always James Carr, <"Bobby Blue Bland"> or <"Gary BB Coleman">.

cheers Darrel

We may have <"some music for you">? If you aren't a Bobby Womack fan, there is always James Carr, <"Bobby Blue Bland"> or <"Gary BB Coleman">.
Having thankfully lost the capacity for meaningful thought a little earlier than usual today, I gave that a shot. Hadn't listened to Bobby Womack for a couple of decades. All three good, but the Gary BB Coleman exceptional. A playlist has been started (have added Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of The Sky Is Crying).

I'd avoided Songs from the Man Cave previously, because it conjured up images of men of a certain age bellowing incoherently into the void. After several months of membership I now appreciate that 'men of a certain age bellowing incoherently into the void' goes for much of UKAPs, and I thoroughly approve.

Back