• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow going, tank on a budget. (Now with moonlights)

jbirley

OK so this is going to be my first serious attempt at a fully planted tank. I am on a very tight budget since I'm living on a student loan. so its going to be slow progress, I am currently just collecting bits as and when I have the money.

so far I have my tank, a clearseal 30x15x12 tank, a Eheim 2215 (currently running on my 10g fish only tank) and a heater (also on my 10g)

As I am on a budget the stand and hood are being made by me, out of odds and ends I already have in the garage.

so far I have got the weight bearing frame built. No laughing at my DIY skills, computers at electronics are my thing not wood :)

WP_000060.jpg

Next it is going to be faced in MDF then sealed and painted, total cost of the stand and hood will just be the sealer and paint.

I have some akadama on the way for the substrate, and that's about it so far. I will keep the journal updated as and when things happen but it will slow going.

Re: Slow going, tank on a budget.

Its going to be a relatively traditional style tank and hood design in gloss black to match the rest of my little home office.

so far for the scape I'm thinking along the lines of a redmoor root hardscape either from one side, or both sides with branches sort of meeting in the middle to form a kind of arch type look. Although its all just in my head so until I actually have some wood to play with I'm not set on anything. Then I was thinking weeping moss on the wood with a background of swords and crypts and a foreground of either glosso or one of the forms of marsilea. going for sort of a overgrown wild look. Fish will be a school of harlequin rasbora, otos and amano shrimp.

As a bit of feedback on your frame, put in a couple of horizontal braces across the front and also front-back. You'll increase the strength of the frame massively in terms of "knocks and wobbles".

LancsRick said:
As a bit of feedback on your frame, put in a couple of horizontal braces across the front and also front-back. You'll increase the strength of the frame massively in terms of "knocks and wobbles".

OK thanks, I shall go digging in the garage see what I can find to do that.

looking good so far,but i'd be a bit concerned having the tank so close to a radiator.

MDF in place lots of filling and sanding to be done to make up for my poor workmanship.

WP_000062.jpg

A few nice sunny days and some free time later and the stand is finished.

WP_000063.jpg

Over all I am happy with it. It is far from perfect but will do. The only power tool I had was a drill so all of the cutting was done with a panel saw so im surprised it even came out as good as it did given my lack of ability to cut in a straight line. :lol:

The entire cost of the stand came to about £20 all of the wood was free. :D

sr20det said:
Well done mate that's awesome.

Thanks.

Also I have received my substrate 30L of fine grade moler clay from kaizen bonsai. cost me just shy of £20 for the 30L bag delivered.

WP_000065.jpg

Actually a pretty nice cabinet there. By the looks of it lot more practical than the standard ones with all the shelves but no room for a big filter :D The problem I've currently got :(

Hope you get nice results with a low budget, I'll keep an eye out for sure :)

RobS said:
Actually a pretty nice cabinet there. By the looks of it lot more practical than the standard ones with all the shelves but no room for a big filter :D

My thoughts exactly,...you've done a very good job on the cabinet too. I bet you could fit in a FX5 in there with ease. Looking forward to keep up with your journal. :D

Slow going, tank on a budget.

Nice looking stand. I have so DIY projects in my head right now. Hope they work out like yours has. Good luck with the tank.

Keen to go green :)

Thanks guys :)

Ordered the lights and ferts yesterdays so once they come and I get round to making a diy light stand I should be about ready to fill it up.

Yeah but they just slip over the rim of the tank, you can just pull them off. Im not at home right now but I will take a photo of them later if you like?

jbirley said:
Yeah but they just slip over the rim of the tank, you can just pull them off. Im not at home right now but I will take a photo of them later if you like?

Cheers mate, i was looking at one at P@H, small one anyways, and saw the black rims, and wondered if they were siliconed one.

Lights and ferts arrived today, only a light stand to make, hardscape and plants left to go :)

Back