• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sick Apisto

A

Antipofish

I am hoping someone can identify what is wrong with my male Apisto... he has been hiding for a few days and I coaxed him out to take a pic. Please, can anyone suggest what is wrong so I can try and treat him, or at least do what is right?

He seems to be blotchy and to have a hole in his dorsal fin.

8194711408_d8fa808880.jpg
sickmalenijsseni by Serengouti, on Flickr

It looks to me like some kind of bruising. Have there possibly been any aggressive tank mates which could of done this?
If there aren't then it could possibly be fin rot from an injury which has become infected with fin rot. Are there any items in the tank that your fish could of caught its fins on? As long as your water quality is good, then the fin should grow back as normal.

Hi all,
He doesn't look good I'm afraid, dark, blotchy and listless are never good signs. It could be a whole host of things, I think all you can try is larger water changes with some good quality water. I know other people won't agree, but I wouldn't try and keep these in tanks with regular fertiliser additions, and I would want to keep NO3- etc as low as possible. I'd be aiming for a TDS value below 50ppm for these, NO3 below 10ppm and dKH, dGH below 3 etc.

The other thing is diet, again not everyone will agree, but I wouldn't try and keep these unless I had a range of live food to hand as well.

They are quite a demanding Apisto (nijsenni), as they need much softer water than the closely related A. baenschi or A. panduro long term, which is why you'll see domestic bred baenschi & panduro much more often. TomC collected them in Peru, water parameters here: <http://apisto.sites.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2384&gruppeID=1>

If you haven't seen Bob Wiltshire's pages I'd have a look a them. They are the sort of parameters that most successful Apisto keepers use <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the links Darell. Sadly for the wee fella he did not make it. Im a bit annoyed if it was the tank parameters though, since I bought him and the two females from a reputable breeder who knew the tank they were destined for and said that whilst they probably would not breed, they would otherwise be ok.

Back