• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimps

How do you define "personality"?

What I like about shrimp is that when they're thriving they are so active; constantly grazing on plant leaves, hardscape, substrate etc.

Because they're relatively small they force you to get up close to the aquarium and this gives a refreshing perspective to the aquascape. It's like a whole new world.

I'm not sure how appropriate they are in a system with minimal water changes if you're planning to keep them in an El Natural set-up.

One of mine once told me to **** right off if I was thinking of putting that shoal of tiger barbs in his tank? Does that qualify him as having a strong personality?

Joking apart, yes IMO they are different.....I have yellows, cherries, CBS, CBS, snow whites, amano and others. They are all slightly different....yellows are a little more shy than cherries, cbs quicker to food than crs. Very subtle differences, but you get to notice them after you've been keeping them for a while. Good question!! :)

Which ones are hardy, breed easily and will be ok with apistogrammas ?

.....with apistogrammas......None!

I'm not sure how appropriate they are in a system with minimal water changes if you're planning to keep them in an El Natural set-up.

Hi I have 5 Caridina japonica in a 90 litre El Natural tank and they seem to be doing fine. However, this tank gets regular ferts dosing and 30% - 50% water changes twice a week, so honestly George I'm not that sure either. I must admit that so far the results are encouraging; I am somewhat of a convert. This hybrid technique works well for me.

Anyway, back to the shrimp, funny little critters, as I write all 5 of them are gorging themselves on the remnants of an algae wafer; I feel an en mass molt coming on. I put it in last night for the ottos, only I don't think the ottos actually got a look in. At least if the little blighters (the shrimp) go in to hiding I know how to bring them out again.

Back