• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp safe nitrate removal

SinkorSwim

Hi all,

Apart from water changes, has anyone used or know of a shrimp safe nitrate removal treatment or method? I was going to add a small pothos plant or at least a cutting to the side of the tank using a small cup on suckers (cheers again Colin I'll use it for an aneubia instead) but some reading has proven this plant is poisonous and whilst fine in a hob, if the roots are exposed then shrimp grazing is a no go.

Any info welcomed.

Hi all,
know of a shrimp safe nitrate removal treatment or method?
Any floating, or emergent, plant will do. There has been a lot of scientific work on <"Pistia"> for sewage treatment etc in tropical areas.
a small pothos plant or at least a cutting to the side of the tank ...... but some reading has proven this plant is poisonous and whilst fine in a hob, if the roots are exposed then shrimp grazing is a no go.
I've had them in a variety of tanks, and I've never had any problem with them. All Aroids (like Cryptocoryne spp., Anubias etc) are toxic to some degree when damaged.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for taking the time to talk about devils ivy and the rest, I appreciate it. I bought a small portion of salvinia natans and was given a small bag of frog bit so I hope those will help pull some of the nitrate, if they don't do the trick then I'll buy a pothos and go for it :thumbup:.

Cheers.

Back