• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I change my camera ?

P

Pelagio

I know that Canon is far more widespread than Nikon. But it seems that a lot of guys are getting into the video side of things now too. And to that end I am wondering if I should consider changing my camera now (before prices plummet too much).

I have a Nikon D700 with a couple of lenses.. the f/1.4 D 50mm AF Nikkor and the AF-S VR Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (what a mouthful !) along with the SB900 flash. Its a nice bit of kit but it doesn't have video.

I kind of want to keep to full frame (though not essential).

It seems my options are the Canon 5D mkII or the 7D (which I realise is not full frame). It seems that to go to a video model in Nikon I either have to cough up a LOT of money for a D800 (not in the picture) or end up with a smaller sensor model .

I would be greatful for all your comments on what I need to look at and if I have missed anything that would not be a step back from the camera I already have.

Thanks.

Hi,
If you want video then get the D600 which is actually a better camera than the overpriced D800. But you've also got to want video. I see no reason the change your camera just because other people are doing this or that. If your camera does what you want it to do then why spend more money?

Cheers,

Hi,
If you want video then get the D600 which is actually a better camera than the overpriced D800. But you've also got to want video. I see no reason the change your camera just because other people are doing this or that. If your camera does what you want it to do then why spend more money?

Cheers,

Hi thanks for that I was not even aware of the D600 I will check it out :) I see what you mean about not changing unnecessarily, but yes, I do want video :)

I've looked into the D600 and spoken to Ken Rockwell who does many reviews on DLSRs etc. He agrees that with the exception of the video issue, the D600 would still be considered a step backwards from the D700 I already own. Whilst there are some improvements on the camera, there are other areas (such as AF for example) that are not as good. Low light performance also. Its frustrating because on the face if it, the D600 is a good camera. I think I will have to spend a bit more time looking at the 5d mk ii and iii and the D800 :( Its annoying because if I was just buying new it would be a much easier decision.

Back