• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seneye Water Monitoring System

The fact that it can measure down to a pH of 6.4 isn't it restricting for us planted tank owners that might want to measure pH to a lower level?

Does it come with a par meter on it? I mean if I drop it to the bottom of the tank at substrate level will it measure the PARs correctly?

The PAR meter was tested on UR and came up really well. I'd like them to bring out just a par meter using the same tech for reasonable money, they can keep the rest of the gumpf! :)

Hi Folks,

I could write a book on the seneye system having owned and used the 'reef' system for almost six months. On the whole, I am pleased to own one but I have reservations. I would score it 5 out of 10 some of the time and as much as 7.5 out of 10 at other times. I need to think about the best way of summarising my findings but, if anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask.

I need to explain that I am using the 'reef' system in a tropical freshwater planted tank setup.

JPC

Hi Folks,

I could write a book on the seneye system having owned and used the 'reef' system for almost six months. On the whole, I am pleased to own one but I have reservations. I would score it 5 out of 10 some of the time and as much as 7.5 out of 10 at other times. I need to think about the best way of summarising my findings but, if anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask.

I need to explain that I am using the 'reef' system in a tropical freshwater planted tank setup.

JPC
Would you use it to measure ph reliably?

Would you use it to measure pars?

Would you use it to measure ph reliably?

Would you use it to measure pars?
Hi Jaap,

OK, taking each of your questions, in turn:

pH - no, I am not convinced that the seneye device can reliably or accurately measure pH in a freshwater setup. If your carbonate hardness is less than 10°KH, seneye will not commit themselves to an accuracy figure. And, even then, it is like getting blood out of the proverbial stone! That is why I have invested in a separate pH meter.

PAR - one of the reasons I bought the 'reef' model was its ability to measure PAR, °Kelvin and photosynthetic spectrum. But, I have nothing to compare the seneye with. However, I am working on that. Unfortunately, seneye (the company) gives very little away. There is no published specification of accuracy on any of the measured parameters, to the best of my knowledge. I would like to compare the seneye reef with an Apogee quantum meter. Only then will I have an idea if the seneye is accurate. I should also mention that, when fixed in place on a glass panel, the seneye is unable to give meaningful light readings.

I now need to get to bed!

JPC

Hi Jaap,

OK, taking each of your questions, in turn:

pH - no, I am not convinced that the seneye device can reliably or accurately measure pH in a freshwater setup. If your carbonate hardness is less than 10°KH, seneye will not commit themselves to an accuracy figure. And, even then, it is like getting blood out of the proverbial stone! That is why I have invested in a separate pH meter.

Which pH meter did you get?

Which pH meter did you get?
Hi TallDragon,

I bought an HM Digital PH-200 but I need to bring something to your attention about this meter. In order to ensure that the sensing electrode does not dry out, there is a cap attached over it. Inside this cap is a liquid but, in my case, there were only a few droplets remaining when I received it yesterday. I have just emailed HM Digital asking them to comment.

JPC

Last edited:
Thanks... I see that you need to buy a special solution to store it in, and calibration kits . is there a pH meter on the market that does not need to be "maintained" with additional stuff that needs to be purchased? - on of my concerns with the Seneye too... you need to keep buying the kits.
Hi TD,

All pH electrodes need to be stored in a solution. If the electrode is allowed to dry out, it will be damaged. And again, pH meters need calibration from time to time. But neither of these are showstoppers. Nowadays, calibration is achieved at the touch of a button once the probe has been immersed in the appropriate buffer solution.

Regarding the seneye, yes, you are correct. Seneye recommend changing the slides every month.

JPC

Hi all,
I bought an HM Digital PH-200 but I need to bring something to your attention about this meter. In order to ensure that the sensing electrode does not dry out, there is a cap attached over it. Inside this cap is a liquid but, in my case, there were only a few droplets remaining when I received it yesterday.
John is right, pH meters are quite high maintenance bits of kit.

I'd recommend that any-one who is thinking about buying a pH meter reads this thread (on <Apistogramma forums>), written by "Regani", a chemist: <"A note on pH meters">.

Seneye doesn't use a probe, if you have a look in the other thread <"Seneye">
Seneye unit using colorimetry to read the colour change of a universal pH indicator fixed to a slide..........Probably the easiest way to think of the Seneye data is as a "Universal pH paper" reading presented using computer graphics.
cheers Darrel

Back