• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Satisfying and Effective - share some random tips

I have heard this tip many times and have ignored it just as much. It’s not that I don’t think it would be beneficial, I just don’t want to do it.
I understand that. The mess, gunk and complete saturation of gunk is pretty bad when doing it!

Hi all,
malaysian trumpet snails. they dig through the substrate and come out at night
I think we have a <"Mineralised Top Soil"> (MTS) thread that <"caused some confusion">. The there is also "Multiple Tank Syndrome" (MTS) <"help with translation 'MTS'">.

I'm thinking of a new post something along the lines of.......
I have MTS, and MTS has a problem with MTS ............
As clear as mud (or non-mineralised top soil).

Also you can't search for three letter words (or acronyms) on UKAPS, so no-one will ever be able find this post again.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I use a syringe with a 10cm blunt needle for dosing liquids into the tank. Being a blunt needle I have not managed to stab myself yet but early days 😀

Also found some plastic clamps to be invaluable for holding water change hose / drip acclimatisation pipe. Enough force to stay still without being excessive - Means you dont have to call the other half to switch off the tap during a water change when you realise you cant leave without risk of flooding the floor 😀

IKEA do a bedside cabinet available in two sizes that is a nice cheap and cheerful storage system for inside the cabinet. Name is KNARREVIK I have attached a photo 😊

Finally if you take some airline tubing and two L connectors you can make a floating plant barrier 🙂

Attachments

• WC.jpg
    WC.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 19
  • B15DACFE-1C29-454B-A712-82D1D7BEA31D.jpeg
    B15DACFE-1C29-454B-A712-82D1D7BEA31D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Remembering to scrub the caked on rich dirt on rocks you source from bypass/runoff canals before putting them in the aquarium is a great way to prevent algae issues. (speaking from recent experience)

Dirt, is dirt which is dirt.

Try your best, water change the rest.

When you’re painting something, the tricky part is naturally the edges. You either load up the brush and end up with paint where you don’t want it or you keep the brush fairly dry and it takes forever. The trick is to load up the brush and draw a thick even smear parallel to the edge about 1-2 inches away from it. Then use that as your paint supply. Push the paint from the smear to the edge. It gives you a nice steady supply to work with but not as too much.
This video shows how:
It makes painting stands and such so much easier.

IKEA do a bedside cabinet available in two sizes that is a nice cheap and cheerful storage system for inside the cabinet. Name is KNARREVIK I have attached a photo 😊

Oh I like that storage system, yours look very organised. Is there a thread about “show us inside your cabinet” or something like that? I know there is one for maintenance trolleys 👍

Last edited:
Back