• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Safety concerns!!! Non Standard UK Plugs and Adapters!

Ok, that means you should be fine with a 3 pin plug. As to fuse, I’d use a 3 amp, although I suspect that is too big (If my understanding of VA is correct).

Yeah, I wasn't (and still am not) 100% on volt-amperes??

The actual moulded plug attached to the solenoid says 6A, 250V?, Though I don't believe these types of plugs are fused?

The actual moulded plug attached to the solenoid says 6A, 250V?, Though I don't believe these types of plugs are fused?

If they are fused, then there would be an access port to the fuse, sounds like there isn't one? I suspect the 6A might be the rating of the conductors/plug?

Sorry, I mis read your post, taking the va as amps. If the solenoid says mA then you'd be fine with a 3a fuse. Its a very low power device.

Hi all.

Looking for some advice on a solenoid I have just picked up.

Came with a 2 pin US-style plug, The plug states 6a 250V, solenoid 220V 4.8va

What my best course of action here, should I just cut the plug off and replace or use an adaptor?

20200907-111333.jpg

20200907-111324.jpg
These adapters are are known as death adapters and if used incorrectly can prove fatal....Some of the numerous issues are:
  • Earth pin has plastic collar, thus when inserted in standard 13A socket isolates the earth connection:banghead:.
  • Adapter is not fused, thus if you stick an unfused lead eg shaver, soldenoid etc there is a fire risk. :banghead:.If the connected appliance faults it will be possible to draw up to 32A in UK, which is not good is it is only a 6A rated lead.:banghead:
  • The live and neutral connections are not shuttered, thus possible to insert an object and make connection to the live.
  • It is possible to miss insert a UK plug into these adapters, eg earth pin into the adapter live socket, thus connecting live to the appliances earth.:banghead:
  • The contacts are probably not rated for any significant current, again a fire risk....:banghead:
Personally I would hit it severely with a hammer, which is probably the best use you will find for this type of adapter.

Generally with equipment I get, that has incorrect plugs, in my case usually 240V kit from Germany, I cut the German plug off and replace with a suitably fused UK plug.

For your solenoid a 3A fuse is suitable. 3A is fine for appliances upto about 700 W (ie 240V x 3A -> about 700W).

Your solenoid is only 4.8VA (VA is same a W, for as far as we are concerned), so 3A is fine.

Screwfix do a 3A UK plug for 93p and 10 pack of 3A fuses for £1.90. Sorted. :thumbup:

These adapters are are known as death adapters and if used incorrectly can prove fatal....Some of the numerous issues are:
  • Earth pin has plastic collar, thus when inserted in standard 13A socket isolates the earth connection:banghead:.
  • Adapter is not fused, thus if you stick an unfused lead eg shaver, soldenoid etc there is a fire risk. :banghead:.If the connected appliance faults it will be possible to draw up to 32A in UK, which is not good is it is only a 6A rated lead.:banghead:
  • The live and neutral connections are not shuttered, thus possible to insert an object and make connection to the live.
  • It is possible to miss insert a UK plug into these adapters, eg earth pin into the adapter live socket, thus connecting live to the appliances earth.:banghead:
  • The contacts are probably not rated for any significant current, again a fire risk....:banghead:
Personally I would hit it severely with a hammer, which is probably the best use you will find for this type of adapter.

Generally with equipment I get, that has incorrect plugs, in my case usually 240V kit from Germany, I cut the German plug off and replace with a suitably fused UK plug.

For your solenoid a 3A fuse is suitable. 3A is fine for appliances upto about 700 W (ie 240V x 3A -> about 700W).

Your solenoid is only 4.8VA (VA is same a W, for as far as we are concerned), so 3A is fine.

Screwfix do a 3A UK plug for 93p and 10 pack of 3A fuses for £1.90. Sorted. :thumbup:

Thank you @ian_m

The adapter went in the bin after I took some pictures.

Now I know I can just change the plug that is what i will do today.

It's scary how most people (me included) give no mind to these things, I have happily used these adapters before when they come with pumps, etc :eek:

Just want to say a big thanks to @Andrew Butler also :)

Nick

Of course there are compliant and safe plug adapters, that really don't cost much more that the unsafe Chinese adapters. I have used these as well, no problems. Got mine from Ebay as well as local RS pickup.

These are only £2 and that is from a supplier that is not know to be cheap.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/travel-adapters/7839555/
1599561997781.png

It has a fuse in it, so lead is now fused (watch out supplied fuses are generally 5A, OK to leave, but changing to 3A is better). :angelic:

Only issue is can be a tad wide, so might have issues if your are trying to stuff many 13A sockets into an extension block.

Of course there are compliant and safe plug adapters, that really don't cost much more that the unsafe Chinese adapters. I have used these as well, no problems. Got mine from Ebay as well as local RS pickup.

These are only £2 and that is from a supplier that is not know to be cheap.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/travel-adapters/7839555/
View attachment 153863

It has a fuse in it, so lead is now fused (watch out supplied fuses are generally 5A, OK to leave, but changing to 3A is better). :angelic:

Only issue is can be a tad wide, so might have issues if your are trying to stuff many 13A sockets into an extension block.

Thanks, ian, I have one of these in my amazon basket, but I am just going to pop to toolstation or b&q and pick up a plug and fuse.

Thank you for the help

I got one of these plugs on my twinstar 900s going from plug into the transformer as below, i found a kettle/PC plug and worked fine but noticed lamp was virbating to the touch so switched back to origional cable and cured it however i want english plug.

The origional 2 pin plug says 16a 250v

The one i fitted says 10a 250v dont know why that caused a vibration or small electric current to go through the twinstar as it felt to touch.

Would a smaller amperage cause this as when changed back it stopped but i do need the correct cable aslo.

Dean
f5a99fba1b4ffa723230092e398587da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I got one of these plugs on my twinstar 900s going from plug into the transformer as below, i found a kettle/PC plug and worked fine but noticed lamp was virbating to the touch so switched back to origional cable and cured it however i want english plug.

The one i fitted says 10a 250v dont know why that caused a vibration or small electric current to go through the twinstar as it felt to touch.

Would a smaller amperage cause this as when changed back it stopped but i do need the correct cable aslo.

Dean

The amperage rating on the plugs is what they can withstand, or rated to operate at, they won't affect the current delivered. Unless you try to draw more than they are rated at, of course.

Is there a chance that the vibration of the lamp stopped because it was restarted (as plug was swapped) rather than it being caused by the plug itself? Providing all connections are ok, electrically, can't se how this would cause the vibration.

I would think it’s at the light fitting. Maybe some water got near the plug/socket into the fitting
as Far as the adaptor goes why not remove the 2 pin plug and fit 13amp plugtop with suitable fuse to match transformer load.🍻

Dean

That looks like a Schuko plug which you need a converter like this!
Amazon
1600894123324.png

hoggie

Here's the Poundland shaver adaptor. Fused, 1amp 250v.
At 1A it's probably only suitable for low loads such as solenoid on a regulator. Which incidentally is exactly what this one is for.
IMG_20200924_193329.jpg

IMG_20200924_193324.jpg

Best solution is to fit a UK plug with the correct rating.

I know a lot of even the biggest brands in the UK add an adaptor to use their products, regardless I think it's always best to have a straight UK plug connection.

Simply searching for things such as 'Kettle power cord' or 'Figure of 8' to UK plug should bring up most results for powering things like this, there are numbers that go against these type of fittings.

Choosing the correct UK plug DC converter I also think is a good idea, beware of cheaper imports - I had one myself where the Earth pin came loose recently.
There are things to understand such as connection size, Voltage, Amps and polarity.

Hopefully someone QUALIFIED will jump in with official UK links to the correct information and fill in the information I have missed out.

I have re-fitted the 10amp uk plug as been to horizon aquatics today and there lamps have the same vibration when touch finger tips ontop of the light unit so must be normal.

You would never know if didnt barley touch as can only feel with tips of fingers ontop of unit and then stops once touching.

Dean

Back