• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

safe and easy way to catch plecos?

Madhav

Any easy and safe way to catch bristlenose Plecos?
I have 3 in my 5 ft tank, about 6" long, grown from 2" to this size in an year, hard to give them away but they are making the tank water dirty and uprooting my plants. my tank is planted with lot of hiding spots.
Any idea how to deal with ada soil and plecos?

If netting isn't an option, try to build a trap large enough to fit one and catch them one by one.. Those large PET bottle might do.

this is the idea
plasticbottleinstructions.jpg

Obviously a 6" fish doesn't fit in a 0.5 litre bottle.. So you need to size it accordingly.. But the trap principle stays the same.. Maybe a 2 litre Coke bottle?
Only thing is you need to cut off the screw cap and make that hole bigger. Make sure there are no sharp edges inside the trap.. If the fish freaks out in there and cuts itself it will be fatal..

Bristle nose did NOT grow from two inches to six inches in a year as has been stated. (been feeding/ raising/trading them for a few year's).
Are you certain it is not common pleco(s)?
In any event,the Bottle trap is how I catch the long finned albino bristle nose pleco's,shrimp.cory's,loaches.
Just need a bottle with opening large enough for the fishes head to enter.
Would advise poking some holes half way up from the bottom of the bottle if left in the tank overnight which is what I do.
The holes will help keep oxygen level's inside the trap from dropping to level's that could kill the fishes before trap is removed ,and poking the holes half way up from the bottom will allow the fishes to remain in water when you remove the trap.
I then pour the fish from the trap into Tupperware tub and net out those I plant to sell/trade, and return the other's.
I bait the bottle trap with Hikari sinking wafer's,or New like spectrum pellet's for larger fish which hold their shape longer, and do not dissolve as fast as some other food's.

Many species of pleco's but best guess from photo would be Pterygoplichthys pardalis.
Could easily grow at the rate mentioned .

Back