• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rugby world cup

I'm not a massive fan of the game but played a little in high school and played in a carnival in the city, ended up stuffing my back up mind you and that was that.

Couldn't believe RSA lost to Japan, unreal!

Sitting here now watching Aust v Fiji.

Ollie. .....
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::happy::happy::happy::happy:
hoggie
Well done to Scotland. That bonus point will be handy, now lets see if they can roll RSA.

Hi all,
Oh bugger....
What a great game, an incredible victory for the Welsh from 10 points down and with what seemed like a complete team injured. I think I would have taken the 3 points for a draw, but it was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" moment.

At half time I thought England would win fairly easily, but all through the second half I got more and more nervous and I had a creeping feeling Wales would win.

cheers Darrel

Absolutely brilliant game to watch, not so brilliant for English fans but very well played by both teams.

I think the all blacks really need to step their game up to have a chance....

Big call not to take a kick at the posts!
England need to regroup and put that game behind them!
Great game though..I had a feeling Wales would come back as the 10 point margin was quite a fragile lead in this match!
Well done to Wales!
England played very well!
It's a fine line a few wrong decisions and it can affect the whole outcome that's sport!
Being a golfer...some days you can play poorly and hang in there and post a decent score and wonder how that happened next round you play well and cant finish the job on the greens....and post a rubbish score and you wonder why that happened!
That is sport for you!
That's why we watch it and play it!
Scotland against USA :nurse::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nurse:
hoggie ;)

X factor on tonight Whoopi.....
clear.png

Good performance from Scotland but they will need to up their game against SA....if there gonna get something out of it!
Come on Scotland :smug::happy:
:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::inpain:
clear.png

Cheers hoggie

What a weekend.
Went from a high on Friday,whilst being in the middle of a bunch of Argie fans.
(They know how to celebrate.)
To a low ,watching us implode in the last 20 minutes yesterday.
Can England bounce back in a win or bust game next weekend.?
Enjoyed the USA & Canadian performances as well.

I hope the All Blacks are watching japan and taking notes......

They deserved to go out...too much turnover ball, too many loose handling errors, and their set pieces weren't exactly brilliant. Basically the occasion was much bigger than they were and they choked on the ball.
However, that's not taking anything away from the Auzzies, they played a blinder both in attack and defence.
I'm sure the media and pundits will be baying for Lancaster's blood...and they may actually have a point, aside from a handful of inspirational wins his tenure has been somewhat mediocre overall.
We're one of a few nations playing top flight rugby who don't have a southern hemisphere coach...make of that what you will but I think the old farts (Rugby Football Union general committee) missed a trick not hiring Jack White on the back of his resignation after he coached the Springboks to their World Cup win 8 years ago, instead they hired Martin Johnson, and we all know how that ended too...awesome captain and player but not so good a head coach.
We need to do much better on and off the field if we're to compete on the world stage...

And another thing...the rule of sidelining our best talent simply because they're foreign based is ludicrous...Steffon Armitage is a hot topic point in case - he was voted ERC European Player of the Year 2014 - like that's a luxury the old farts can afford...

I went into last night's game more in hope than expectation.
Sadly I lot of what has happened in the last 2 games you could see coming.
The coaching staff has had 4 years to plan for a home world cup,and yet we end up with a midfield that had no game time together,and an openside who's only playing because he's captain.
I've nothing against League,but picking League players with virtually no union experience ( and out of position),and an ex-league player as your attacking coach,has imo proved to be wrong.
Haven't watched back or seen the stats from last night (had mortgaged the house to be there) , but against Wales our centres passed to the wings twice all game.
Hardly a potent attacking threat.
Contrast that to how Japan or Canada try to play the game.
The whole campaign seem to be defensive from the outset,selections based on not losing,rather than trying to win.
Rant over.
Actually,for the long term good of the domestic game,I agree with not picking foreign based players.
They knew the rules before chasing the extra money overseas.

Scotland played well at times but the Springboks where just too powerful on the day!
The Finn Russell and John Hardie injury's didn't help Scotland's cause!
Great try by the Scots though!
Now for the Big One.......... Samoa next Saturday!
hoggie

@Stu I agree, with your rant;)...

...But allowing foreign based players in to the squad probably isn't as bad for the domestic game as being the first home nation in the history of the World Cup to go out in the pool stage:p

Seriously, tho' I tend to view that particular bone of contention with a healthy dose of scepticism, the same I as I do any sort of intervention in to a free market economy. Our domestic game should be allowed to find it's own equilibrium, just as our economy has, and it's now pretty much the strongest in Europe.

It'll force our clubs to compete in the European/World market and I think ultimately the domestic game will benefit - and more to the point our chances of winning would be vastly improved...Australia recently relaxed their rules on this matter, and looked what happened...they built up a cricket score against us and barred us from our own party...

Probably should have posted this to start with before I launched into one.
Well done Oz,thoroughly deserved win.

@Troi.Guess we'll have to disagree about the foreign selection policy.
My simplistic view is that they'll be a player drain to France,with the result that our clubs will simply fill the void with cheap imports.
Difficult to compete in a European market when the salary cap in France is so much higher than here.
Oz foreign policy,only extends to experienced players (60 caps or more ?),basically so that they could pick the excellent Matt Giteau.

Last edited:
And another thing...the rule of sidelining our best talent simply because they're foreign based is ludicrous...Steffon Armitage is a hot topic point in case - he was voted ERC European Player of the Year 2014 - like that's a luxury the old farts can afford...
This is something that I actually agree with doing assuming that your national championship is at a high enough level.

If a player is willing to play nationally for less money for the prospect of being selected for the national team surely that's a good thing. It makes sure that the players pulling on the national jersey want to be there. Imo pride is a far greater motivation to win than money and will keep the quality of the players much higher.

How many kids these days dream of playing football for the honour of pulling on an England jersey? or is it because they see the obscene amounts of money and lavish lifestyle these guys have?

Back