• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roma 200 filtration

As I mentioned, we very strongly suggest that if you intend to enrich the tank with carbon, and if you intend to use strong lighting, then you really need to pay very close attention to flow and distribution. When we look at tank sizes of 200L, this is the beginning of problems because that is up to 200 kilograms of water, and that is a lot of water to move.

CO2 diffusion rates in water are 10,000 times slower than in air, and so having poor flow in a tank will mean no ends to your troubles. It is much better to be over the top with flow than to be below the minimum threshold because flow and good distribution will erase many of our mistakes. I think people don't worry enough about setting up their tanks for success. All they can think about is how much sexy light they can pump into the tank, and that's just a train wreck waiting to happen. Flow/distribution and CO2 dissolution is THE most important aspect of a planted tank. That is why we have settled on the 10X rating rule. So if it means some inconvenience in the beginning, then just get over it and press on. The investment will reward you in the end.

Flow energy is especially important as the tank matures and as the plant biomass increases. The result is flow blockage and the attendant problems of severely decreased CO2/nutrient delivery.

It really doesn't matter what brand you get, as long as the filter is rated at 10X the tank volume. We just happen to know that the FX5 has a flow rating somewhere around 2000LPH and it 's a good price for the amount of flow it produces. The Eheim proIII series also have similar ratings. All filters deliver only half of what they are rated from the manufacturer because they are tested under the most favorable conditions such as with no filter media and at shallow depths so that's why we work around that by calculating and playing the 10X rating game.

As nayr88 mentions, if it is impossible to fit that size in the cabinet then use two filters each with a 5X rating. You can even achieve better flow by using powerheads to augment the energy, but it is so much cleaner and easier to have that energy delivered by a single filter.

When manufacturers rate a filter for XYZ size tank, they have no idea about the requirements for a high tech tank, so their ratings are meaningless. People always assume we are over the top when we suggest a filter size that seems absurdly over the top - until they run into trouble...then they regret their choice, and all of a sudden it doesn't seem so absurd.

Do yourself a favor and get as much flow rating you can for that tank, whether it means you have to bust that cabinet wide open or whether you have to stuff it with more filters than you think you need.

Cheers,

Why not 2 fluval 405's
They'll fit and there 1300lph each
Teamed with spray bars your cooking on gas
OR
Have problems with growing plants and start threads on that and then hear the same info repeated in those threads in a months time

Well just to make it clear I was planning on running a seperate pump for the Co2 reactor quite a large one at that was looking around 2000-3000lph the original plan was a filter intake in each corner with spray bars along the back then the Co2 pump intake in the middle and return to the tank by a twin nozzle output aiming to both sides. But if the ex1200 scales the same as my ex600 they'll only push 400lph each.

Ok...... new question do I get the FX5 or the FX6? o_O
Or just get two JBL e1501 and they will fit inside the cabinet with no worries and you will have resilience in case one fails ;)

You'll have to forgive the Ceg, but I gotta back him up the man really knows his shizzle, I tried to cut corners in the past and it resulted in two very frustrating failures.

I'm currently using an All Pond Solutions 1400EF for a 100 ltr tank tank I started, doing everything right this time.

What about the all pond solutions 2000EF? would that not meet the requirements for his tank?

I have a JBL e901 and e1501 on my Co2 pressurized 216l tank.
And an upaqua co2 atomizer on each pump
Ceg is helpfull and iam taking his advice very seriously :)

Have a nice day!
Lexy

I wasn't trying to cut corners just finding a solution that didn't cost a bomb and one that fits without too much trouble, as I said above I planned to use a large recirculation pump for the Co2 reactor along side the two filters but spending £180 on 2 Tetra EX1200 filters that could only move 800lph between them didn't seem appealing. :)

I had looked at the JBL but two of those comes to nearly £300 which is a little ouch! :(

I had looked at APS filters but seen a lot of people complaining about build quality and the flow rate dropping.

I've seen some of the manifold designs people have used on the FX5 and it looks quite handy, also is the small bio filtration media capacity for the FX5 not a problem?

I wasn't trying to cut corners just finding a solution that didn't cost a bomb and one that fits without too much trouble, as I said above I planned to use a large recirculation pump for the Co2 reactor along side the two filters but spending £180 on 2 Tetra EX1200 filters that could only move 800lph between them didn't seem appealing. :)

I had looked at the JBL but two of those comes to nearly £300 which is a little ouch! :(

I had looked at APS filters but seen a lot of people complaining about build quality and the flow rate dropping.

I've seen some of the manifold designs people have used on the FX5 and it looks quite handy, also is the small bio filtration media capacity for the FX5 not a problem?

Sorry mate didn't mean to imply that you were cutting corners, I'm just not very articulate, haha.

I understand wanting to cut costs tho, I want to do the same. Unfortunately my only external filter experience is with the APS filter I have now

I found this image of a manifold setup using an FX5 on another forum....

mLlkybUl.jpg

As much as I love the idea of the massive FX5 there is something I can't stop thinking about...... What if it fails? How long will it take to get spare parts and get it running again? With the massive size of it you can't just go out and get a cheap temporary filter to tide you over! So think I might have to go with the idea of using 2 filters just a shame I can't afford to buy 2 of the FX5 lol :(

1) Wouldn't ever touch again
The rest.... I live in the UK ;)

Thing is say it broke down at 8pm one night if I ordered the part and got lucky it would be here in 2 days time! If I got 2 smaller filters don't worry I'd still be aiming for the 2000LPH mark between them :)

What's
If
Buts

Will not get the baby a new hat

Buy the obvious spares. Or buy a cheap cheap filter as a back up. If the fx5 fails do a media swap and kick the other filter on.

What if the single Fx5 broke I'd have no filter

If I had 2 filters running and one broke I'd still have a filter

Buy the obvious spares? Have you seen how much fluval charge for them? :eek:

Fluval FX5 Impeller Assembly
- £46.49
Fluval FX5 Motor & Impeller - £139.39
Fluval FX5 Lid Fasteners (The things that apparently break a lot) - £6.49 you've got to be kidding? :confused:

For the price of buying an FX5 and a cheap backup I could get 2 x 406 and run a reactor on both for the best Co2 distribution.

- £46.49

Fluval FX5 Lid Fasteners (The things that apparently break a lot) - £6.49 you've got to be kidding? :confused:

For the price of buying an FX5 and a cheap backup I could get 2 x 406 and run a reactor on both for the best Co2 distribution.

Or two APS 2000EF and spares are cheaper...........not a APS rep I promise, haha

If I had 2 filters running and one broke I'd still have a filter

- £46.49

Yeah fair play

Do 2 405's I've never had a fluval filter break. I don't know how people managed to break there's tbh

I went cheap, I'll probably regret it and end up replacing them in the future but for now they'll do to get my tank up and running I got 2x APS 2000EF UV should give enough flow :)

Back