• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RO membrane and pre-filters - service life in 345mg/L very hard water

Hi all,
Strange you should say that
Tropheus (T. moorii?), very nice and you obviously know what you are doing.

ed-from-southern-Lake-Tanganyika-Along-the-studied.png

Even if I could keep them alive, without bloating etc., I'd be terrified that <"I'd wake up one morning"> and they would have ripped each other to shreds.

I was thinking more Shellies (Neolamprologus signatus) for starters.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
So going by the figures, is there an ideal water hardness that one should aim for when keeping planted tanks and most tropical fish? Should we be aiming to remineralise water to slightly hard or moderately soft?
Moderately soft, very low alkalinity. I'm a <"fairly shoddy aquarist">, but @Roland uses <"Soft water tank"> and I'm going to say that he probably knows what he is doing.

46874505_446193656523199_8319192838821455637_n-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Strange you should say that
Tropheus (T. moorii?), very nice and you obviously know what you are doing.

Even if I could keep them alive, without bloating etc., I'd be terrified that <"I'd wake up one morning"> and they would have ripped each other to shreds.

I was thinking more Shellies (Neolamprologus signatus) for starters.

cheers Darrel
Tropheus ilangi (not got then now, just a tank of moliro left)
It’s nowhere near as problematic as some people make out
I am more than happy to share anything that I know about keeping them
Absolute minimum tank length 4ft
10-15 fish, masses of filtration, correct food, job done
I did get bloat when I started,I think due to due to poor/weak fish, I only ever purchased tropheus in this country once, when I started keeping them (30 odd years ago) not sure what the uk ones are like now, they used to be awful (imho)
Imho “bloat” can be a result of many and varied issues, which results in intestinal problems and swelling

Hi all,
Tropheus ilangi
Damn, close but no cigar.
It’s nowhere near as problematic as some people make out
That is because you are a <"good fish-keeper">, I'm just not <"very good at it">.
, I only ever purchased tropheus in this country once, when I started keeping them (30 odd years ago) not sure what the uk ones are like now, they used to be awful (imho)
I'm never going down the hard water route, but hypothetically if I did? I would probably drive to the Netherland and buy them from <"Utaka"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
How hard is your water?
Liquid chalk 😂
My sister grows plants and keeps nice fish in it
In the past I decided that I wanted to keep discus, so went the ro route for a few years, then discovered tropheus, and found that the tapwater was almost perfect (nitrates are crazy 30-40ppm), I used an ion exchange column for zero nitrate water change water I did find that occasionally during the summer months, the pH was much lower than expected, so started testing at every water change
Back to ro now as I am keeping South American fish

Last edited:
Hi all,

Damn, close but no cigar.

That is because you are a <"good fish-keeper">, I'm just not <"very good at it">.

I'm never going down the hard water route, but hypothetically if I did? I would probably drive to the Netherland and buy them from <"Utaka"> etc.

cheers Darrel
I just follow the rules, if we want to keep fish, I think that we need to keep them properly 👍👍, when I started keeping tropheus I knew nothing, I spoke with Helmut at chilidenstadl and never looked back
I used to purchase fish from Bert at Holland cichlids (he shut down due to the mass availability of cheap, poor quality, inbred rubbish which was flooding the market), I also bought from Frank Arneson(sp) in Belgium, mostly I went to chilidenstadl (where the ilangi and moliro came from), which has now changed hands
Not been there since covid, perhaps next summer holidays 🤞🤞🤞😂
I love that part of Germany

Back