• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ripe for Picking: a Guide to Collecting your own Bountiful Botanicals

I'm just bumping this because the leaves are starting to turn and there will soon be lots on the ground for collecting!

What have you got your eye on this year?
I've got my eye on the oak trees across the lane that surround the village cricket pitch and I'm hoping we get a nice wind that brings me some into the garden so I don't have to forage too far! And I've also got a Japanese maple, a magnolia, an apple tree and lots of currant bushes to try. Oh, and bay leaves, I guess?

What about honeysuckle and clematis? I have a vague idea honeysuckle is poisonous?

Hi all,
I've got my eye on the oak trees across the lane that surround the village cricket pitch and I'm hoping we get a nice wind that brings me some into the garden so I don't have to forage too far! And I've also got a Japanese maple, a magnolia, an apple tree
All fine.
and lots of currant bushes to try. Oh, and bay leaves, I guess?
I've never tried Bay (Laurus nobilis), but I'd be a bit wary, just because they are so aromatic
What about honeysuckle and clematis? I have a vague idea honeysuckle is poisonous?
Clematis armandii might be all right, but I think all the deciduous leaves would be too soft.

Honeysuckle berries are definitely poisonous, I'd be a bit wary because of that.

Cheers Darrel

Hi All

I've only just come across this thread so apologies if this has been asked already, but is there anything that is a definite no no to use? I've recently set up a shallow tank with some wood which is partially submerged that I have put a couple of house plants on top, tannins from the wood are colouring the water massively and I'm loving it. No fish yet but want to introduce some leaves and stuff from our local common as it is now Autumn.

Hi All

I've only just come across this thread so apologies if this has been asked already, but is there anything that is a definite no no to use? I've recently set up a shallow tank with some wood which is partially submerged that I have put a couple of house plants on top, tannins from the wood are colouring the water massively and I'm loving it. No fish yet but want to introduce some leaves and stuff from our local common as it is now Autumn.
Hello!

Yes the big no-nos are in this post (Poisonous Plants to Avoid section). There's not that many, I think in local parks the main one to avoid would be Rhododendron.

I don't find that btoanical leaves stain the water that much when I add them, even in big handfuls. Seedpods are a better bet, and alder cones will stain your water very well once the wood stops releasing tannins. They're very plentiful in local parks so hopefully you can find some!

Back