• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Resurrection (EA900)

Looks like a great concept! 😊 I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

When ur done, can you nip round and re-do my pond for me. 😂
😂 All part of the UKAPS service! Redoing a pond sounds really fun, make a journal for it and go for it!!

I think you're idea of going British biotope stylie with Sticklebacks would be brilliant. They are such characterful looking fish!
TBH I think I will go with the sticklebacks, this morning I realised if I can't catch them, then I can buy them from CarpCo (which is basically TropCo) for £1.65 each, and it's easy to get to. These faces simply can't be resisted, they really look like ugly British apistos lmao AND I WANT THEM. I'm not sure how many to keep yet, I was thinking maybe 6 juveniles?

IMG-20220420-WA0000.jpg

<At the bottom of this page on them> there is an amazing video of their breeding behaviour and it looks awesome, I think they are the fish to beat.

The only thing I'm not sure about is putting them with minnows, which apparently can get quite big???? I'd want at least 20 as they like to live in groups, but I don't want them to feel cramped. I guess will see how it goes. All the ones I see in streams are tiny.

There are also Spined and Stone Loaches available, although reading about their behaviour it might be another kuhli loach scenario on my hands...

Last edited:
Nice idea on the stickleback's @shangman, I love British native fish - I ran a cold water British native tank 20 years ago with some wild caught sticklebacks, minnows, gudgeon and baby roach.

The biggest problem I found was maintaining the appropriate temperatures with an indoor tank - you typically want to keep them 20 degrees or below which can be difficult indoors, particularly in the summer (I know last summer my tanks hit 26-27 degrees even with fans blasting across the surface). When I had that tank 20 years ago I looked into a chiller, but it was cost prohibitive at the time.

They have nothing on the blue eyes of a porcupine pufferfish
I'm not going marine for a little while yet, no temptations please! 😂 Saying that I don't know that I'll ever get such a large fish! Maybe if I win the lottery...
Yes, but those blue eyes 😍
They definitely make up for it all in character as well!! That video you posted is fascinating, will definitely make sure I have lots of crap in the tank for them to make squishy nests from.

Nice idea on the stickleback's @shangman, I love British native fish - I ran a cold water British native tank 20 years ago with some wild caught sticklebacks, minnows, gudgeon and baby roach.

The biggest problem I found was maintaining the appropriate temperatures with an indoor tank - you typically want to keep them 20 degrees or below which can be difficult indoors, particularly in the summer (I know last summer my tanks hit 26-27 degrees even with fans blasting across the surface). When I had that tank 20 years ago I looked into a chiller, but it was cost prohibitive at the time.
Hmmm yes I can see this being a problem, mine did that 2 years ago, though last year wasn't so bad. That tank was 1/3 the size of my tank though, does that help?

I am too cheap for a cooler I think, I'm surprised that a pond would be much cooler than an aquarium though, would the fish really not be used to that temp sometimes? Or does climate change strike again?

Your tank sounds fabulous, what were the gudgeon like? Did your minnows get large?

I'm not going marine for a little while yet, no temptations please! 😂 Saying that I don't know that I'll ever get such a large fish! Maybe if I win the lottery...
Trust me, it’s an itch best left un-scratched, the prices are just getting crazier and crazier.

That said, a simple soft coral tank can be incredibly beautiful and compete with any high tech SPS tank if done right.

There’s certainly some cross over happening too with aquascaping and reef keeping

Trust me, it’s an itch best left un-scratched, the prices are just getting crazier and crazier.

That said, a simple soft coral tank can be incredibly beautiful and compete with any high tech SPS tank if done right.

There’s certainly some cross over happening too with aquascaping and reef keeping
Yeah if/when I go salty, I would do majority macroalgae, with a few interesting inverts, a few weird small fish and maybe some soft corals or "easy/cheap" things like xenia, but only once I'd got the gist of things.

I really like tanks like those from <Inland Reef>, <Buen's Aquariums>, <TigahBoy>, all that stuff. I love that macroalgae gives it more of a garden vibe, and the colours are so incredible. When I was a kid the true highlight of holidays for me was going rockpooling, so I guess that would be the vibe. Or mangrove lagoon. As always, so many beautiful options!

Oh Wow, they are seriously cute ugly faces…..almost as cute as Hufsa’s Guinea Pig Khuli faces……and you might actually get to see them. 👍

They would be tough to beat! 😍
Seriously!! :D I think for now they are my top choice, unless I fall in love with the blue killis when I see them IRL, I think these sticklebacks are too funny not to try.

I dont know what you guys are talking about, I see mine all the time, they never skip a meal 😘
Maybe I have secret noodle charming powers 🐍
I'm always and forever jealous, the khulis were so beautiful but I NEVER saw them. Maybe for 2 seconds once a week. Idk why, I had a lot of them and did all the things they apparently like, but they weren't interested, alas. Clearly you have witchy noodle powers!!

Hmmm yes I can see this being a problem, mine did that 2 years ago, though last year wasn't so bad. That tank was 1/3 the size of my tank though, does that help?

I don't think so - its the lights and the pump that end up injecting extra heat and pushing the water above ambient.

I am too cheap for a cooler I think, I'm surprised that a pond would be much cooler than an aquarium though, would the fish really not be used to that temp sometimes? Or does climate change strike again?

I doubt British lakes and rivers get much above low twenties in the height of summer, but it could be wrong - they certainly feel cold to me when I go fishing in summer!

Your tank sounds fabulous, what were the gudgeon like? Did your minnows get large?

It was a nice tank, lots of long Vallisneria to try and simulate streamer weed and the like if I remember rightly, and plenty of wood to simulate fallen branches - plant availability back then wasn't anything like it is now, neither was hardscape wood - Mopani only!

The gudgeon were great - I specifically caught smaller juvenile ones - they are a bottom feeder with barbels on the mouth much like Cory's.

The minnows weren't particularly large, maybe 50mm max including tails - they can get quite fat though as they are very greedy.

The Roach really struggled, as they are/were a very nervous fish. Despite my best attempts I couldn't keep the temps down low enough, and struggled with two bouts of white spot, lost 3-4 fish and called it a day and returned them to the Oxford Windrush where I caught them. Then I moved to full fat tropical and began experimenting with DIY yeast CO2, and that was the end of my cold water experiment.

We had some stones loaches as a child and only saw them again when stripping the tank down.

Bigger tanks can get just as warm if the ambient temperature remains constant. They take longer to reach the highs but also cool down slower. It means you have more time to reduce the temperature before they reach the peak but they can get just as hot. If you have a pond outside already then at least you can move them out if they don't look happy and lots of coldwater changes might help.

I've always been tempted by sticklebacks because they are distant relatives of the seahorses and I see quite a few similarities with them, I've just never got round to keeping them. I do plan to build two large brick walled ponds where my garage is but not got round to it yet.

Main issue is tank size, males can be a bit of a nightmare and will hound other males down (when breeding). I think 90cm is a really good size for a group though.

We lost them when I was at school as the water got too hot, I repeated this process again in my early 20s with much disappointment. Fascinating to see the nests built, but I wouldn't go crazy with males, as they're quite territorial at breeding stage, and they do breed often and easy. In summer I was adding a frozen bottle of water to the tank every day, but it just wasn't enough. I raised hundreds of them, and can't wait to keep them again when I have the space.

@mort You'll never see them in a pond though :(

The idea I settled on was that I'd keep a small group in my unheated lean to over the winter and pop them back outside in the summer. It would be nice to do something in winter and enjoy other things in summer for a change. I may get round to it but lately I'm happy leaving nature to fill the void. In my pond, as the fish are now gone, I've got the mother of all daphnia blooms but not many fish left to feed them to. On the plus side the tadpoles that won't get eaten by the fish this year, should be the size of bullfrogs in no time😊

Shhhh!🤫 @Hufsa's a noodle whisperer, uses special words & magic to make them come out for a photo shoot!🌟
Like the piped piper, but for noodles ~doodly doodly toodly dooooo~ :p

Honestly her fish pics are sooooooo funny! I lvoe them and the captions. Fish love drama lmao

I don't think so - its the lights and the pump that end up injecting extra heat and pushing the water above ambient.

I doubt British lakes and rivers get much above low twenties in the height of summer, but it could be wrong - they certainly feel cold to me when I go fishing in summer!

It was a nice tank, lots of long Vallisneria to try and simulate streamer weed and the like if I remember rightly, and plenty of wood to simulate fallen branches - plant availability back then wasn't anything like it is now, neither was hardscape wood - Mopani only!

The gudgeon were great - I specifically caught smaller juvenile ones - they are a bottom feeder with barbels on the mouth much like Cory's.

The minnows weren't particularly large, maybe 50mm max including tails - they can get quite fat though as they are very greedy.

The Roach really struggled, as they are/were a very nervous fish. Despite my best attempts I couldn't keep the temps down low enough, and struggled with two bouts of white spot, lost 3-4 fish and called it a day and returned them to the Oxford Windrush where I caught them. Then I moved to full fat tropical and began experimenting with DIY yeast CO2, and that was the end of my cold water experiment.
Ahh of course, make sense. Well I'll give it a go and see what happens... got a few contingency plans if it gets too warm.

Baby gudgeons sound completely adorable!! I did see them and think ... ooooh, but then saw the size they get to. Good to know the minnows aren't too big, they sound a bit like pencils with their greediness which is great. Will say away from roach.

Is it ok to return wild fish back afterwards then? This is another option if I catch them myself, just wasn't sure about potentially spreading nasties about into the wild population.

Fab! Gotta love the ricefish. How have you found breeding them, do they eat the fry? Mine have lots of eggs over the past month but I haven't seen any hatch yet. I want to be lazy and keep them all in one tank for a bit longer, but worried the fry will get eaten.

We had some stones loaches as a child and only saw them again when stripping the tank down.

Bigger tanks can get just as warm if the ambient temperature remains constant. They take longer to reach the highs but also cool down slower. It means you have more time to reduce the temperature before they reach the peak but they can get just as hot. If you have a pond outside already then at least you can move them out if they don't look happy and lots of coldwater changes might help.

I've always been tempted by sticklebacks because they are distant relatives of the seahorses and I see quite a few similarities with them, I've just never got round to keeping them. I do plan to build two large brick walled ponds where my garage is but not got round to it yet.
Yes this is totally true, if the fish aren't looking happy I can always pop them in the pond outside that will be their eventual home anyway. It will already have pond plants in, and loads of live food for them. And I do have a large freezer, so could easily pop some plastic bottles full of rainwater in my tank every day and help to cool things down before trying the pond.

They definitely have a bit of that cute seahorse face!! I'm looking forward to keeping them :)

Main issue is tank size, males can be a bit of a nightmare and will hound other males down (when breeding). I think 90cm is a really good size for a group though.

We lost them when I was at school as the water got too hot, I repeated this process again in my early 20s with much disappointment. Fascinating to see the nests built, but I wouldn't go crazy with males, as they're quite territorial at breeding stage, and they do breed often and easy. In summer I was adding a frozen bottle of water to the tank every day, but it just wasn't enough. I raised hundreds of them, and can't wait to keep them again when I have the space.

I'm used to just a male and female apisto in my tank, so a small group still sounds great. I'm thinking (hopefully), 3 males and 5-6 females? What do you think of that? The tank should have lots of cover so I think that'll be ok. Got a contingency plan with my outdoor pond so hopefully can avoid another mass fish destruction event so soon!

The idea I settled on was that I'd keep a small group in my unheated lean to over the winter and pop them back outside in the summer. It would be nice to do something in winter and enjoy other things in summer for a change. I may get round to it but lately I'm happy leaving nature to fill the void. In my pond, as the fish are now gone, I've got the mother of all daphnia blooms but not many fish left to feed them to. On the plus side the tadpoles that won't get eaten by the fish this year, should be the size of bullfrogs in no time😊
I'm hoping that eventually, if plans come together over the next year or so we will have a bigger back garden and be able to have a nature pond. As much as I love the fish, a natural pond with newts and frogs is hard to beat, and I like to try to support our native wildlife as much as possible!! These are the creatures that inspired me so much as a kid, at our allotment I demanded my dad build a pond when I was about 10, it's still going and is FULL of newts. Love it when the daphnia blooms and the newts ar really fat and lazy at the surface from gorging.

If anyone close to me wants Sticklebacks I have a lot I need to shift out of my tubs,it was a good year for them last year and they're breeding again already lol
Alas, it's a bit far for me but I hope some people take you up on it!! Would love to hear more about your tubs, it seems like a really interesting side of the hobby that's not often talked about.

Back