• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Resurrection (EA900)

shangman

Well it's Easter Sunday, so I think it's quite appropriate to resurrect my tank with a new journal, and soon a new scape. Welcome to the Nymph's Pond!

IMG_9179.jpg

My last scape, <The Nymph's Spring> has sadly ended in tragedy with a nasty rare case of fishTB/mycobacterium, and I don't have the heart to set up a similar long term scape yet. I want to do something short and exciting where I can learn a lot. It was a big low for this to happen to my last scape, and I sort of need to start this one soon and do something great with it to cheer me up. Starting a journal now to record working it out and gathering inspo from the start.

The dimensions of the tank are 90cm w x 50cm d x 45cm h, it's approx 200L. I could go high-tech or lowtech, rainwater or tap. I could go high flow, or lower. Lots of optional variables.

So, this scape needs to be:
  • Different from what I've done before
  • Cheap
  • Short term (until Septemberish)
  • Have fast growing plants
  • Contain creatures that can go and live in my pond after
I had been planning to visit some garden centres to buy pond plants anyway, and then @Courtneybst suggested maybe this new scape could be a pond scape, so I can start quickly and cheaply! It's a fabulous idea - I can experiment with completely different plants from usual (who still follow similar rules) that will grow above and below the water (I LOVE emergents). They'll grow fast, they'll fade in the Autumn, fabulous.

Fish

This selection is quite short, I don't want the hassle of giving away the fish at the end of this scape, thus I've decided to go with fish that will live happily in my above-ground pond in the garden for the rest of their lives including winters. It is quite a protected spot, and they will go out before the temp drops so they can get used to it. Please let me know if any of these won't be suitable, as always the fish have to be happy, and definitely let me know if you have any more good suggestions! I will only keep one, maybe two of these species in the tank.

Roundtail paradise fish (Macropodus ocellatus) - very beautiful and remind me of apistos, apparently hard to find and are bastards so probably would just keep a pair. I do like that they're the OG aquarium fish too. This is the only paradisefish species that can is ok in british weather 365.

ddd2ad_f13577bb2d2c491f821a60b46b17ecf0~mv2.jpg

Medaka Ricefish (Oryzias latipes) - lovely fish, some of which I already have, maybe too expensive to get a big load more though annoyingly.

Medaka-Rice-Fish-unsexed-juvenile.jpg

White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Tanichthys albonubes) - These are lovely colourful fish and would give the pond scape a classic scape vibe with a proper schooling fish and great colours. I'm surprised they can be kept outside tbh!

TanichAlbonubesRobertFenner.jpg

Iridescent toothcarp (Aphanius mento )- Very beautiful unusual killifish fish, and I have a good source to get some juveniles from. You can't go wrong with a blue fish.

tumblr_nmd4znrmbV1th8jn4o1_1280.jpg

Rainbow Shiners (Notropis chrosomus) - Stunning fish, I LOVE PINK, though I'm not sure if they will get too big/active for this tank. Any thoughts?

s-l400.jpg

3-spined Sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) - possible to collect, these guys have funny faces and interesting behaviour. They have the face of a smart fish like apistos which I like, with fascinating breeding behaviour.

190530_jumping_full-1440x946.jpg

Common Minnows (Phoxinus phoxinus) - courtesy of my local stream, they can definitely survive and thrive. Not colourful, but still definitely pretty, and I find it quite fascinating to see what my native fish are like.

Phoxinus.jpg

Scape Style Options

Here are some solid options, in all of them I'm planning to lower the waterline a bit so I can have more emergent plants. Ideally in all I'm using London tap to fill the tank rather than rainwater as I used to. Honestly a break from that would be good for a while.

British Biotope - sticklebacks & minnows with British native water plants. Could submit it to a biotope competition, though tbh I don’t really care for following other people's arbitrary aesthetic rules, so would still do what I want with these ingredients once I got them and make some weird stream/pond/garden/wild hybrid.

Classic scape mimic - a pair of paradise fish with a group of WCMM or ricefish and using cold/pond plants similar to those we use in our tanks already, I think this could end up looking interestingly similar to a classic tropical fish scape, but all cold. The paradise fish aren’t entirely unlike apistos which is quite nice, and they are probably the prettiest fish on my list.

Tropical plant wilderness - a group of blue aphanius mento, and growing plants which looks distinctly tropical and wild with big leaves, colourful flowers and a great bog vibe.

Ornamental pond - take inspiration from a classic pond, and recreate that with the same materials and plants inside, and keep a group of white and orange ricefish in there. A fun play on a slice of nature.

Stream tank - Lots of flow, lots of pebbles, probably lots of BBA. Long wavy plants, with a stream edge at the back for emergents. WCMM, shiners, minnows, all sorts of fish would work here. A big shame there don't seem to be any appropriate gobies for this.

Would happily do any of these or mix them up. It’s now time for THE GREAT RESEARCHING where I scour the internet for lovely pictures to work out my idea better. Part of what I find interesting about this tank is that I don’t really know what it will look like, but I’d like a solid direction. Please do post interesting pics and links in this thread, if you guys have any ideas I’d love to hear them! I know lot sof you have lovely ponds and I'd love to see them too for inspo.

__________________________________​

Tomorrow I'll add in a list of plants I'm looking at, though it really is what's in the garden centers that will make the difference, I'm hoping to go to Wildwoods World of Water next week and see what lovely things they have!

Last edited:
Looking forward to it Rosie.
I think the rainbow shiners will be ok in a 90cm tank providing lots of space is available. I imagine with what you’re looking to achieve, that won’t be the case.
Rice fish provide a lot of variety if you find a few different colours. I think a proper hardy fish will be a breath of fresh air after you latest ordeal.

All that said, maybe set the tank up how you want it, then choose the fish to compliment it.

Not a source of inspiration, just my chill out space!
View attachment 186904
Love it!! Particularly the bush on the left, I love this thick emergent vibes. And love the legs of course 😂

Kinda tempted by a waterlily for the tank, but I think this time I'll miss it cos I have 2 lilies outside now and a little inside lily bowl lmao. And just last week a lotus in a bowl called "Drunk on a Jade Tower"!!! Lotus seem like very interesting particular plants, I'm looking forward to seeing how that one grows. Maybe will update it's progress in this journal too as a side project.

Looking forward to it Rosie.
I think the rainbow shiners will be ok in a 90cm tank providing lots of space is available. I imagine with what you’re looking to achieve, that won’t be the case.
Rice fish provide a lot of variety if you find a few different colours. I think a proper hardy fish will be a breath of fresh air after you latest ordeal.

All that said, maybe set the tank up how you want it, then choose the fish to compliment it.
👀👀👀 I may or may not be planning a thicket.... So I think you are probably right!!

The hardiness of the ricefish is fantastic, I have bought 10 and I still have 10!!! And they have eggs often, although I've not seen any fry yet. Another thing to work out how to do. They are quite good in smaller tanks though, so I am tempted by other fish I wouldn't be able to keep in a nano or waterlily bowl.

I think you are right too, the scape and the fish doesn't have too much relationship and I think they'll be happy with whatever I make, other than flow which is easy to modify. As usually all the fish appeal to me too, maybe I will just have to go Eeny, meeny, miny, moe to pick! I am thinking of going to my lcoal stream and seeing what I can catch, to see if it is viable to cath them, and just keeping my eye out to see what's available - apparently the paradisefish ocellatus are hard to find.

It's like starting a new sketchbook, there's something alluring about a pristine white page that makes you want to start drawing immediately!
All the ideas you've thought of sound really interesting especially with the idea of transferring livestock & plants outside later in the year.
It is literally EXACTLY like that. Very soon I'll do a tiny doodle and it'll all be ruined :D Actually I think later this week I will do some composition sketches to work out the options.

That artist/designer approach is how I do all my tanks really, I didn't notice I was doing it for ages (kinda considered aquariums my antidote to fashion and design burnout at first), but I guess the training comes out subconciously ! I am starting to think that this scape and the next few I do are more like purposeful artists experiments where I play about with the medium than before. I want to develop more of a style across aquarium genres, nabbing bits and pieces from all over. None of the official styles (contest/diorama, Dutch, Amano nature), blackwater, etc) have ever quite interested me as they all have at least one rule or two I have no interest in following. I think that's why UKAPS is great, because it's full of people just doing their own thing and pilfering from here and there to create something just right for them. Really just do more experiments, learn lots, have loads of fun.

The pond thing is a nice way to get around having a temporary scape and getting to keep the fish, I would feel too guilty if I just gave fish away and causing them too much stress. I will have to take the fish out before it gets cold outside so they get acclimated properly to the temps, but otherwise should be ok!

Off to Maidenhead with a garden center to see what's about now, I heard they have some orangey ricefish, though things won't kick off until the visit to World of Water sometime soon. Later today will post the plants list with nice options, and start with some more inspiration piccies.

Please keep your pond pics coming, they are super inspirational!! @dw1305 I feel like you had/have a beautiful pond??? 🧐 Can I see?

Hi Rosie, the bush on the left is actually water mint which is rampant. Even the very large basket it's in is not enough to contain it however my puppies have eaten it all so I have to find something else to go in that area.

If you keep medaka already then I’d say maybe rule those out,
If you plan on changing things so much perhaps consider going fishless?
That way if the Paradise Ocellatus does ever pop up, you can jump at the chance of owning a pair.

Hi Rosie, the bush on the left is actually water mint which is rampant. Even the very large basket it's in is not enough to contain it however my puppies have eaten it all so I have to find something else to go in that area.
Aha! I think water mint could be a really nice plant to have, lovely smell and tbh I like the idea of rampant!! Apparently it would also work in my "biotope", looks like it grows p much everywhere. It'll go on the list :) What are you planning on replacing it with?

If you keep medaka already then I’d say maybe rule those out,
Yeah I think so too, medaka is off.

If you plan on changing things so much perhaps consider going fishless?
That way if the Paradise Ocellatus does ever pop up, you can jump at the chance of owning a pair.
I'm too weak to go fishless lmao!! Will cycle it for around 6 weeks to make sure everything is growing well and then gotta stock. I love fish too much, and this tank isn't running for that long so I've gotta get them in quite fast to have a few months of enjoyment.

I think it's these 3 options - paradisefish & WCMM (will look around to see if any shops I go to stock the paradisefish), sticklebacks/minnows (need to go to my local stream and see if I can catch some or not), or the Iridescent toothcarp (which are very beautiful and come highly recommended). I am hoping to set the tank up within the next 2 weeks!! Honestly all 3 options sound completely awesome so I'm not sure which to go with. Anyone with experiences of any of these fish please do tell me your experiences of them are and what you would try.

Love it!! Particularly the bush on the left, I love this thick emergent vibes. And love the legs of course 😂

Kinda tempted by a waterlily for the tank, but I think this time I'll miss it cos I have 2 lilies outside now and a little inside lily bowl lmao. And just last week a lotus in a bowl called "Drunk on a Jade Tower"!!! Lotus seem like very interesting particular plants, I'm looking forward to seeing how that one grows. Maybe will update it's progress in this journal too as a side project.

👀👀👀 I may or may not be planning a thicket.... So I think you are probably right!!

The hardiness of the ricefish is fantastic, I have bought 10 and I still have 10!!! And they have eggs often, although I've not seen any fry yet. Another thing to work out how to do. They are quite good in smaller tanks though, so I am tempted by other fish I wouldn't be able to keep in a nano or waterlily bowl.

I think you are right too, the scape and the fish doesn't have too much relationship and I think they'll be happy with whatever I make, other than flow which is easy to modify. As usually all the fish appeal to me too, maybe I will just have to go Eeny, meeny, miny, moe to pick! I am thinking of going to my lcoal stream and seeing what I can catch, to see if it is viable to cath them, and just keeping my eye out to see what's available - apparently the paradisefish ocellatus are hard to find.

It is literally EXACTLY like that. Very soon I'll do a tiny doodle and it'll all be ruined :D Actually I think later this week I will do some composition sketches to work out the options.

That artist/designer approach is how I do all my tanks really, I didn't notice I was doing it for ages (kinda considered aquariums my antidote to fashion and design burnout at first), but I guess the training comes out subconciously ! I am starting to think that this scape and the next few I do are more like purposeful artists experiments where I play about with the medium than before. I want to develop more of a style across aquarium genres, nabbing bits and pieces from all over. None of the official styles (contest/diorama, Dutch, Amano nature), blackwater, etc) have ever quite interested me as they all have at least one rule or two I have no interest in following. I think that's why UKAPS is great, because it's full of people just doing their own thing and pilfering from here and there to create something just right for them. Really just do more experiments, learn lots, have loads of fun.

The pond thing is a nice way to get around having a temporary scape and getting to keep the fish, I would feel too guilty if I just gave fish away and causing them too much stress. I will have to take the fish out before it gets cold outside so they get acclimated properly to the temps, but otherwise should be ok!

Hi all,@dw1305 I feel like you had/have a beautiful pond??? 🧐 Can I see?
I'll get a photo when I'm home again.

Cheers Darrel

@shangman Sure you will have great new scape/s you had back luck that happens. A while back l was suffering losses and decided to restart. A British native set up ,we don't see enough of these

I haven't completely made up my mind but I'm thinking along the lines of lobelia cardinalis, it is a lovely shot of colour and good for the bees!
That's a great choice, beautiful colour! It's lovely to have plants with flowers too for you and the bees, I'm going to see if I can get some flowering plants for this tank too, though perhaps ones that aren't so tall.

I'll get a photo when I'm home again.

Cheers Darrel
Fabulous! I saw you posted the photo I was thinking of in <@Courtneybst 's Pico Pond journal>. It's such a lovely pond, I love all the textures. Great inspiration for this tank honestly, I love the mix of everything together.

I will have to put Ranunculus lingua on my plant list too! Don't really mind if plants grow like mad, since the project is short they kinda have to.

pond_view_june2012b-jpg-jpg.jpg

@shangman Sure you will have great new scape/s you had back luck that happens. A while back l was suffering losses and decided to restart. A British native set up ,we don't see enough of these
It seems like big bad luck happens to almost everyone eventually, from one type of another. It is interesting to restart and allow myself to dream again.

I am leaning closer and closer to the British native setup, yesterday I went to a local "Country park" which is like a beautiful bit of countryside in South London, and it's full of streams and ponds, I spied a few small fish easily. There are some interesting plants too, including water starwort and iris. Even though my aquarium would be faithful with British plants & fish, I would like to try to make it a bit more aesthetic/garden-y than some biotopes. A lot of the native British plants are actually quite fabulous so I think it's definitely possible.

Last edited:
Ok BIG PLANT POST NUMBER 1

I'm still not completely sure whether to go for native or just with whatever I want. There are a lot of nice native plants, but there are is a lot of very interesting foliage outside the UK to explore. So here's a list of native plants, and later on I'll add a list of non-natives that I also like. Also start to post some aquarium inspirations too. Then I guess some stuff working out composition and how I'm going to structure the tank!

I hope others will use this as reference for your own native tanks/ponds, it's really interesting to try plants that aren't usually used, hopefully I discover great growers from it.

Native Plants with nice flowers & leaves

Sagittaria-sagittifolia-3.jpg
Thumbnail
me-1693-marsh-marigold-marsh-spring-5285632.jpg
product_h_o_hottonia_palustris_saint-michel-en-brenne_36_10052008_6.jpg

Left to right:
Common arrowhead / Sagittaria sagittifolia
Water buttercup / Ranunculus lingua
Marsh marigold / Caltha palustris
Water violet / Hottonia palustris

Bogbean,-Brundall-Primary-School-pond,-Elizabeth-Dack,-15-May-2010.jpg.aspx
82931-00-BAKI_1946x.jpg
Baldellia-ranunculoides.jpg

Bogbean / Menyanthes trifoliata
Greater water plantain / Alisma plantago aquatica
Lesser Water Plantain / Baldellia Ranunculoides

Native Floating:

villarsia-nymphoides-1.jpg
water-soldier.jpg
ranunculus-aquatilis2.jpg
1200px-HydrocharisMorsus-ranae2.jpg

Floating Heart / Nymphoides peltata
Water Soldier / Stratiotes Aloides
Water crowfoot / Ranunculus aquatilis

European Frogbit / Hydrocharis morsus-ranae

Native Stem & underwater plants:

Hippurus_vulgaris_marginal_oxygenator_Merebrook_pondplants2.jpg
mentha-aquatica-e4fd4cd2-c1d1-439e-b548-3719207bcc4-resize-750.jpeg
callitriche-stagnalis-2.jpg

Mares Tail / Hippuris Vulgaris
Water mint / Mentha hirsuta
Water Starwort / Callitriche stagnalis (I've seen this in the wild, it looks like rotala under water, and emergent like giant duckweed)

mini-Fontinalis-antipyretica-3.jpg
veronica_beccabunga_brooklime_marginal_Merebrook_pondplants-1.jpg
Willow moss / Fontinalis antipyretica
Brooklime / Veronica beccabunga

Myriophyllum-crispatum-Upright-Water-milfoil-IMG_5185.jpg
1200px-PotamogetonCrispus.jpg
EleocharisPalustrisAspekt.jpg

Spiked water-milfoil / Myriophyllum spicatum
Curly pondweed / Potamogeton crispus
Common spike-rush / Eleocharis palustris (it amuses me to use eleocharis again tbh)

Last edited:
And how big is your tank....😳 😂
How about Mimulus guttatus, not strictly a native but been here since around 1812? Nice yellow flowers with spots, likes it's feet wet.
lmaooooo, I know!! I don't think I will use ALL the plants, but it's nice to write down all the options so it's easier to pick, and hopefully useful for others too :)

Some of the plants will get too big, but what's an aquarium without a bit of trimming? :D

6016.jpg

Mimulus guttatus very nice, and I'm not against using plants that have decided they like to live here. I mean it is accurate to a modern landscape to including some invasive species technically!!

Also it looks fabulous in this stream with these lovely lovely rocks.

Loving this idea. I bodged a patio pond using some left over decking at the weekend so I will be following this intently and might steal a few of your plant choices!
Love it!! And please do! :) At the same time that I'm setting up this tank I'm also adding plants to our own basic patio pond that we built last Autumn, so anything I can't squeeze in the tank but really like will be going in there.

Back