• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reminialize with aquasoil

Cor

I'm going to use RO water in my new tank. It will be a high light, CO2 and aquasoil. So I need to mineralize my water. But how do I do that?
I mean. I read so many different stories about different salts to use. All I want is a KH of 1 and a GH of 6

But if, for example, if I use CaCO3 to increase the KH, will these carbonates not be absorbed into the soil?

what to do?

I don't think you'll be able to keep a targeted KH level easily with aquasoil. As you said, the carbonates will be absorbed. Best not to worry about increasing KH and leave it at zero.

If you do want to try and increase the KH, I think an option would be to add a small portion of crushed shells or aragonite and iterate for an equilibrium. The shells should be slowly dissolved by the action of the CO2. This would be an option to try and target a constant KH.

Or you can just remireralize the water with every change, enough for you to have the targeted KH still available by the end of the week (or whenever you change water again). This way you wouldn't keep it constant, in theory, but it shouldn't really matter, I think, since you are aiming for a low value.

If you add carbonates in any way, it should accelerate the saturation of the aquasoil. So it is possible that the doses you come up with will need to be revisited throughout the lifetime of the tank.

My understanding is that MgSO4 and CaSO4 (or CaCl2) are not absorbed. Most people try and dose 3 times as much Ca as Mg. But do take into consideration that the molecular weight of the MgSO4.7H2O molecule is much higher, so you need more of it than you would expect.

My understanding is that MgSO4 and CaSO4 (or CaCl2) are not absorbed. Most people try and dose 3 times as much Ca as Mg. But do take into consideration that the molecular weight of the MgSO4.7H2O molecule is much higher, so you need more of it than you would expect.
Txs.
How much more MgSO4.7H2O would you recommend for a total of 6ppm? Or can I use the calculator at Rotalabutterfly?

I find it difficult to determine what to add when using RO water. There are so many DIY recipes in circulation such as at theplantedtank.co.uk.
But I don't know if this is suitable by the use of an aquasoil. :crazy:

And if I use MgSO4 for increase the GH, will this also be absorbed by the soil?
Aquasoils feature cation exchange capacity (CEC). Aquasoils like Amazonia are distinguished by H+ (proton) prevalence on cation exchange positions. That's why they bind metallic cations - mostly Ca2+ and Mg2+ - and decrease hardness. In their stead they release protons. This decreases pH. Protons then change bicarbonates (HCO3-) into H2O + CO2, therefore they decrease alkalinity (KH) and increase the content of CO2.

Thanks everyone for the information so far, but I still don't know which KH and GH targets I should maintain to remineralize my osmosis water using aquasoil 🤔

Isn't there a clear tutorial somewhere that I can use?
How do other people do this: the combination of RO water and aquasoil. I've been looking for information for days, but I can't find anything about the approach in practice

Hi all,
Thanks everyone for the information so far, but I still don't know which KH and GH targets I should maintain to remineralize my osmosis water using aquasoil
I think the aquasoil is your issue, if you have an inert substrate it is a lot easier to work out, it is just the dGH & dKH that you've added to your RO water. Personally I've created an active substrate that hardens the water (via Ca++ and 2HCO3-), <"but purely accidently">.
I don't think you'll be able to keep a targeted KH level easily with aquasoil. As you said, the carbonates will be absorbed. Best not to worry about increasing KH and leave it at zero.
I'm pretty sure that is what will happen initially, any HCO3- ions will be bound and the alkalinity (dKH) & pH will drop.
Isn't there a clear tutorial somewhere that I can use?
How do other people do this: the combination of RO water and aquasoil. I've been looking for information for days, but I can't find anything about the approach in practice
I'm not sure there is a formula as such, it is back to the <"unknown unknowns">. The best explanation we've got is probably the <"ion exchange guide from Lenntech">. This is from your 2020 thread <"CEC: npk..?">.
Aquasoils feature cation exchange capacity (CEC). Aquasoils like Amazonia are distinguished by H+ (proton) prevalence on cation exchange positions. That's why they bind metallic cations - mostly Ca2+ and Mg2+ - and decrease hardness. In their stead they release protons. This decreases pH. Protons then change bicarbonates (HCO3-) into H2O + CO2, therefore they decrease alkalinity (KH) and increase the content of CO2.
This is your issue, we don't which cations (positively charged (+)) and anions (negatively charged (-)) are occupying the ion exchange sites on the substrate. Also ion exchange isn't entirely dependent <"upon the strength of adsorption">*, but also on the <"abundance of ions in solution">.
*"strength of adsorption is proportional to the valence plus hydrated radius of the ion",

cheers Darrel

I have now gathered some further info.
it's actually not as difficult as I thought; simply add GH/KH+ after changing with RO water till a TDS of 120-150 has been achieved. That's all.:thumbup:

till a TDS of 120-150 has been achieved. That's all.
It's fine that you've found your faith, but be aware there are many different religions. I'd be in trouble to explain why TDS between 120 and 150 is a good way to go to anywhere...

All I want is a KH of 1 and a GH of 6

. I'd be in trouble to explain why TDS between 120 and 150 is a good way to go to anywhere...
Don't always agree with @_Maq_ but something that often makes me think... why do folks go to the trouble of using ro, and then add shite loads of minerals to it, is 1kh & 6gh a magic number, I'm guessing it must be. 🤔

Good little read there is so much that goes into these tanks overwhelming sometimes. I'm just starting up a 40cm cube so mite leave ro an co2 for now lol

why do folks go to the trouble of using ro, and then add shite loads of minerals to it, is 1kh & 6gh a magic number, I'm guessing it must be. 🤔
The reason I want to use osmosis is to preserve the element of pH-lowering of my aquasoil. This for as long as possible.

The reason I want to use osmosis is to preserve the element of pH-lowering of my aquasoil.
I don't claim to know a great deal about aquasoils and how they work, but get the impression that having higher Kh & Gh in the water will exhaust the soil quicker than if said Kh/Gh were lower.

The question I was asking, and really asking out of ignorance is why do people chase a Gh of 6 (shrimp keepers aside), is this more beneficial to the plants than having a Gh of 3.

Anyways apologies for derailing the thread @Cor

Reactions: Cor
Hi all,
The reason I want to use osmosis is to preserve the element of pH-lowering of my aquasoil. This for as long as possible.
OK, that makes sense.
but get the impression that having higher Kh & Gh in the water will exhaust the soil quicker than if said Kh/Gh were lower.
<"It will">
why do people chase a Gh of 6 (shrimp keepers aside), is this more beneficial to the plants than having a Gh of 3.
Almost certainly not. You would need to ask @_Maq_ about <"ratios etc">, but plants don't have a huge requirement for calcium (Ca) or magnesium (Mg).

I've got a bit of a jaundiced view of all this and I think a lot of it is derived from a <"wish to sell you a product">.
I may have a jaundiced view, but look on the companies that sell these products as a bit like payday lenders, people go to them in their hour of need, and then they keep on using the service. There is no money to be made in KISS solutions and telling people that growing plants and time are all you need, add in a soil substrate and rain-water and you have a virtually free recipe for having a successful tank. However if you can keep peoples tanks continually teetering on the brink of disaster you can carry on selling them "pH buffers" etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back