• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Remineralizing RO Water

That recipe sounds unnecessarily complicated, fiddly and expensive. I am sure it would work but it just seems to be making things more difficult for no practical benefit. Also, if you are already using a plant fertiliser with potassium, I wouldn't like to be introducing another 16ppm on top.

According to the map above Dorset has hard to very hard water on tap. Use 10-15% tap (depending on water report from water company) to 85-90% rain water.
I’ve been doing that already and the shrimps still died out. I could add some Epsom salts I suppose but exactly how much and how often? I’d like to get some more shrimps as they’re great at helping to keep the tank clean, but I don’t want to risk harming the Corydoras. I’m not one for using test kits if I can avoid it.

Edit: According to ProShrimp, TDS should be around 120-250 and my tanks are well within that range.

Alternatively, just use magnesium sulphate and calcium sulphate. The fabulous IFC Fert calculator can help you calculate based on the ratios and GH you wish to achieve.
You would still need a little KH though, so would suggest reducing the calcium sulphate and adding a small percentage of tap water. (to add carbonate and calcium while reducing sulphates)

I’ve been doing that already and the shrimps still died out. I could add some Epsom salts I suppose but exactly how much and how often? I’d like to get some more shrimps as they’re great at helping to keep the tank clean, but I don’t want to risk harming the Corydoras. I’m not one for using test kits if I can avoid it.

Edit: According to ProShrimp, TDS should be around 120-250 and my tanks are well within that range.
Assuming James the planted tank guy got his calculations correct, add the 2g per 25L that he suggests, at every water change. (Based on volume of water change water, not based on tank volume.) That actually sounds like quite a lot but a large percentage of the Epsom salts is just water so it is not as much mg as it might seem.

I apologise for not knowing your history of shrimps passing away. Without knowing the details it may or may not have been related to the water chemistry

Hi all,
I’ve been doing that already and the shrimps still died out. I could add some Epsom salts I suppose but exactly how much and how often?
You are probably adding some magnesium (Mg) with your fertiliser? I'd aim to add about 5 ppm, it isn't really for the shrimps, it is much more the plants.
I’ve been doing that already and the shrimps still died out.
Sorry to hear that. In my experience Cherry shrimps are absolutely fine in hard, alkaline water, it is soft water that kills them off.
I’m not one for using test kits if I can avoid it.
Using the precise and accurate <"Snail Shell Index">, for Cherry Shrimp you need to keep the water hard enough so that you have some Ramshorn snails (Planorbella duryi) that survive to <"somewhere near full-size">.

cheers Darrel

I’m not bothered about the Shrimps, as I made the mistake of having a couple of colours they all eventually reverted to their natural boring colour. I can now buy a single colour and start again, provided I get the water parameters correct. I should add that it’s taken a couple of years for them all to die out. There are still some in my 37L which gets similar water treatment?!

Hi all,
I can now buy a single colour and start again, provided I get the water parameters correct. I should add that it’s taken a couple of years for them all to die out. There are still some in my 37L which gets similar water treatment?!
Not sure at all, I'd probably just harden the water up a little bit and make sure they have a good diet? I sometimes wonder about having a harder water tank for <"Theodoxus fluviatilis">, and if I did? I'd definitely keep them with Cherry Shrimps.

cheers Darrel

Back