• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Remanso . . .

This happened to me in my big tank with emersed hydrocotyle too, one day greenfly came in and sucked everything dry, little vampire b*stards. There was no way to get rid of them, they are too many and too small and if you miss any they just breed again. The plants grow back and look great for a month or two, and then the cycle happens again. I only keep tough plants like ferns and aroids emersed now.

I think I've pretty much lost the battle too - only the Maidenhair Fern, the Fiscus and the grasses seem to have survived, so it's time to re-do them with some aphid resistant alternatives.

I've finally managed to get my hand on some Marsh Fern, but any specific aroids you can suggest Rosie, that don't get too large?

Spatiphyllum wallisii can grow fully submerged, only flowering above the surface.

Spatiphyllum wallisii can grow fully submerged, only flowering above the surface.

Thanks @_Maq_ - Peace Lillies are on the list but just concerned about my ability to keep it fairly small. In case you didn't see the post on these earlier in this thread, this is the size of the pots I'm planting in:

img_4048-jpeg.jpg

Do you think it would be alright in that size pot?

I also have some succulents (no idea the species) in pots around the house, and they appear to grow well in a glass of plain tap water, so I may add some of those also.

this is the size of the pots I'm planting in:
Nice pot. Handy. I think you can put a Spatiphyllum in it but the roots will grow through the holes and may become enormous.
You could also try some of my favourite - Maranthaceae. Calatheas are particularly thirsty. Or some ferns... so many possibilities...

Photo bomb . . .

Right, finally managed to get my camera up and running - long story short - the battery charger refused to work, and it's taken me this ling to get a suitable branded replacement.

So I had a quick go with it a few nights ago. You'll have to excuse the lack of sharpness and detail in some of the images - I was hand holding with a macro lens, lower lighting in the evening, and the fish are FAST for getting pictures of (except the Pencils which seem to love to pose) - I hope to get the tripod set-up and the lighting turned up to catch some sharper images later on. For now I just wanted to show how beautifully the Threadfin Rainbows had coloured up with some of the males starting to get their tiger stripes too:

IMG_0661.jpg

Posing Pencils . . .

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

The little Aspidoras refused to stay still, and scarper as soon as they catch a glimsp of the camera - I tried about 20 times!! - so a chilled out Habrosus will have to suffice . . .

IMG_0679.jpg

Now the blurry ones . . . I want to catch a pic of the Reed tetra males flaring at one another, but that's going to need a fast shutter . . .

IMG_0693.jpg

A Threadfin about to chomp on a daphia . . .

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Accidental shot that would normally have been immediately deleted, but just loved finnage and colour on show . . .

IMG_0701.jpg

Brilliant photos mate.

Have you got a full tank shot? It looks like it’s starting to develop nicely.

You have a lot more restraint than me haha.
Thanks Conor - I don't really have much restraint, I just tend to start from a place of idealism and then watch it slowly crumble around me 😂

Well the restraint has crumbled - 6x more Threadfins and 20x Axelrodia riesei (Ruby Tetra) incoming from Wildwods tomorrow! :facepalm:

Happy fish in there! Where did you get that Spathiphyllum pot?

I’ve linked to it earlier in the thread - it’s a bathroom container/accessory on Amazon, and I just drilled the holes in it. The hanging clip on the back would fit over the glass on most smaller tanks, but not the 15mm on this tank, so I added a stainless bracket.

Against the black background of my tank, they are almost completely invisible too.

So a bit of a sad little tale for a Monday morning folks. 😔

Over the past 2-3 weeks I have noticed my Chili Rasbora population dwindling, down from around 50 odd fish, to now around only 8.

I haven't been able to figure out what was going on - they were all healthy and showed no sign of any disease, they've been wormed, and are feeding well on a big diet of mainly live foods - in fact they were all colouring up beautifully. What is strange is that I've found no corpses, seen no sick or ailing fish, nothing visually to suggest a problem. Water is in tip top condition with a rock solid 93ppm TDS.

Then last night whilst we were out, my Mum (who was baby sitting for us) and son literally sat and watched one of the monster Amano's stalk and catch one of the smaller Pencil fish. Again none of the pencils look anything other than in the best of health - they tapped on the glass and the Amano let it go, and the fish dived into the undergrowth, with the Amano in hot pursuit. After watching it go crazy in amongst the leaves, it climbed out onto a branch with the fish firmly held by the tail - still struggling to get away - and proceeded to start eating the poor thing.

Now there is always food in the tank for the Amano's - always a whole quarter (4 inch section) of cucumber or courgette, and regular algae wafers and home made rapashy.

I know there is always the possibility of some invisible fish disease and I'm not completely ruling that out, and folks always say Amano's will only go for sick or dying fish, but to not see a single corpse or ill looking fish at all, I'm strongly suspecting that the long and short of it appears to be that some of the larger Amano's have got blood lust and discovered they can catch a more protein rich meal rather than graze on veggies. There is also a big size difference here - the Amanos are 3 inches long, vs sub-1 inch fish.

I'm gutted to be honest, even forgetting the cost of the fish, to have a whole shoal decimated like that. So now it's Amano hunting time, I know there were 6 large females in there, so I need to get them out ASAP, and they can live out their lives in the sump or another thank 😞

Last edited:
Sad to hear that.. I have amanos with borraras. But as agrassive on the food as they are, they leave the fish alone. I think it's just tough luck with one exceptional aggressive amano.. You could watch them closely and pick that one out and see if the others have the same behavior before ditching all of them..

I think I suspect which one it is, it is the largest, and has a much larger and darker stomach and intestinal track that the others, which I guess might also be a give away.

I've removed them all now anyway (with the exception of one wily one that keeps eluding me), and they're temporarily housed in the sump. It looks like I've lost about 8 of the smallest pencil fish too - it can't be a coincidence that the smallest ones have gone, but the largest ones remain.

I'll leave it a few weeks before considering any restocking, to be double sure there are no more losses that might suggest a different cause.

Last edited:
Amanos are tricky, the will take anything they can when they can. seen it many times over the years.
The threadfins are looking great aswell. If i ever see any of the other colours I'll let you know.

Back