• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reflections on time as the first option

Little

I believe the most sage advice given on UKAPS is to “give it time”.

Plant growth, filter maturity, algae control, the list goes on.

Many issues can remedy themselves if the aquarist resists panicking and making chaotic interventions.

Putting trust in nature is sound advice as nature has so often earned our trust.

One of the great tools seems to be keeping your hands off perceived problems, while everything settles down. Then only taking action when you have a firm understanding of why, what, how and when something should be done.

Jumping to action (or reaction) without pausing to reflect can ultimately create more instability.

I believe that time is a great resource and the ability to trust in nature is a huge asset.

I'm a big believer in consistency and that time works wonders, but the trick is that you have to have sound fundamentals or things are only going to get worse. It takes a lot of experience to know the difference. I know for some people it takes some amount of bravery to resist the urge to "fix" things, but I'm lazy and love non-intervention. There's nothing better than seeing a problem and just decide that, no, everything is fine actually. I spend a lot of time upfront trying to get that sound foundation in place though. You gotta set yourself up to succeed.

Many years ago I kept a reef tank. I spent A LOT on that tank. After my home flooded, I decided to close the tank down. For some time, the corals and my clown fish lived in a plastic tub with an airstone and a heater.

The happiest I’ve ever seen those corals was when they lived in the bucket. I did nothing except a small water change each week and they were really happy.

Simple is sometimes better. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I realise this is about time, not simplicity but just leaving it be and not interfering worked.

Last edited:
I agree with @Little - give it time and don't rush (put far less eloquently than Little did!) . I like the 'seasoned tank time' video that @dw1305 links to.

As a beginner I also found the help from ukaps members invaluable to make the necessary adjustments to dosing and lighting early on, so I could then a bit more confidently leave things be, longer than I would have otherwise. I think that speaks to @ElleDee 's point on fundamentals.

To me, time and patience seems to be something a lot of modern society lacks in general, the consumer age we have created appears to me to be based around a desire for instant gratification. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking anyone (I'm just as responsible as the next man/woman) just observing the two ends of the spectrum where I think having a planted tank is at the opposite end where there is no universal panacea for success.
Time, patience, stability, maintenance etc etc are all elements just as important (if not more so) as a full repertoire of ADA fertilizers, conditioners and additives.
My current tank has now been established for over three years and it has never looked better, good things come to those who wait so the saying goes.
Cheers!

Hi all,
but the trick is that you have to have sound fundamentals or things are only going to get worse
I'd agree with that, I think that we have quite a few threads where things haven't started well and it hasn't been easy to resurrect those tanks: <"I made a substrate from hell, i want to change it">.

@ElleDee's thread is a <"perfect example"> that neglect doesn't have to be terminal, if sound foundations are in place.
I believe the most sage advice given on UKAPS is to “give it time”.
Plant growth, filter maturity, algae control, the list goes on.
Many issues can remedy themselves if the aquarist resists panicking and making chaotic interventions.
We have a lot of threads: <"Nightmare Algae/Incubo alghe!">, some with a happy ending <"Nightmare Algae/Incubo alghe!">.
the consumer age we have created appears to me to be based around a desire for instant gratification.
I honestly think that the major "problem" with <"plants and time"> is that nobody <"makes any money out of it">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back