• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

re useing water

danmil3s

hi guys ive set up a trickle change water system on mu 750l it seems to be working fine. now the time has come to "hoover" the gravel. i was just going to syphon the water back in to the sump through some filter sponges but i was thinking would the water contain high levels of ammonia and cause me problems. any thoughts please.
thanks guys

Hi,
Yes, the sediment is normally high in ammonia. Not a good idea to try to recycle this, especially if the lighting is high. I would send this to my potted plants or garden.

Cheers,

thanks again Clive (it is Clive isn't it). ill bin that idea maybe just skip the water and re fill from the tap 10% wont mater if its not heated will it. just to check do i add enough tap safe to treat 750l of water or just the %10
thanks dan

Hi Dan,
Yeah, just add enough for your 10% (or whatever volume you've replaced.) If this is a CO2 supplemented tank then the more you clean and do water changes, the better off you'll be. If this is a non-CO2 tank then you might do well to let the replacement water sit overnight to avoid CO2 spikes which can lead to CO2 related algae. I don't think you need to heat the replacement water if it's just a 10% - it just depends on how much the added water drops the temperature of the tank. I do massive changes using cold water so sometimes I do have to add heated water, but 10% ought not to be a big deal. 8)

Cheers,

Oh yeah, I remember this one. :wave: Yes absolutely, you have no business returning old grungy water to this tank mate. That's poison all the way. It's really best to do the gravel vacuuming when you do you large major water changes and just get rid of it. Cleanliness is next to Godliness in tanks like that. 8)

Cheers,

then that's the way ill play it. thanks mate wife wants the tv now but no doubt ill need your help again. cheers

Back