• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
A little bit of maintenance tonight again, finishing off cleaning the second set of glassware. I use a ‘jbl cleany’ pipe cleaner to get into the tubes and finish off with a ‘dennerle cleanator’ in the lily and outer glass which is also excellent for the salt lines.

5656C2F2-C73F-489A-879D-FE06E93ADC4A.jpeg

37B345CF-9F9F-4E0D-BE67-02D852A9ECFF.jpeg

42ADA3C2-DD05-4CF0-BE14-C6794229C88E.jpeg

Quick sand vacuum to remove detrius and a rub over with the soft pad algae scrubber to the glass panes to remove a small amount of biofilm and the jobs a good un’ ready for an early morning water change.
I’m finding a little and often approach is working best, with the general cleaning that you need to be able to see being carried out when lights are on and the large water change done early before the photoperiod.
I really don’t look forward to glassware and pipework cleaning but once it’s done its a great feeling as the tank looks so much nicer.....

F2CC84D4-ED5C-4B27-A69E-A4CAEB437D8A.jpeg

Moved the drop checker again tonight to the very bottom front corner (least obvious co2 area) of the tank to monitor co2. Ive always thought that even a dc is just a guide much like a bubble counter as they can be influenced by injection type, location etc etc. Misting from an atomiser could throw the result as microbubbles diffuse directly into the dc rather than dissolved co2 from a reactor having to diffuse back out of the water giving a ‘truer’ reading of co2 levels? However that said, it is a good tool to give an idea, I guess the misting offers co2 in a different way to the plants than that of a reactor so at least you can use it to see where the co2 is getting to. Perhaps an ideal scenario would be to use both a reactor and atomiser to maximise co2 availability.

EE0685B0-77E3-4FBC-8E16-29A09395D55C.jpeg

Cheerio,

Attachments

• 208D6F78-9B56-4E90-B0CF-7A78B2A38C41.jpeg
    208D6F78-9B56-4E90-B0CF-7A78B2A38C41.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 136
  • E6C214AE-76DF-4347-8397-296C8172193E.jpeg
    E6C214AE-76DF-4347-8397-296C8172193E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
  • 61ECC1AE-1E74-4BC9-B32D-99E7E0407E09.jpeg
    61ECC1AE-1E74-4BC9-B32D-99E7E0407E09.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
i absolutely hate cleaning my pipes.
Reason i only do it once it starts decreasing flow significantly lmao
It’s surprising the difference that dirty pies make to flow, but yep it’s a nasty job :bawling:.......
Just on with that water change before work.....:D

Its weird but i actually enjoy the cleaning and little and often is by far the best approach would hate to leave it till it was a complete mess with loads to do that drop checker looks a nice colour

that drop checker looks a nice colour
Yeah, I wouldn’t be able to run this level in my tank without the fish showing co2 distress without the chihiros. Everything is very comfortable but I’m still moving the drop checker around to make sure levels are good all around.

How much water are you changing now Ady
Changing about 60% this morning now I’m down to one water change a week. I did do about a 30% wc earlier in the week however when I did a proper sand siphon.

Cheerio,

Do you think the chihiros is allowing a higher co2 concentration in the tank then cause that is not to far from a yellow colour even with the twin star in my 45p if it got to that colour the Dannios where at the top of the tank maybe it's the difference In tank size as well

Do you think the chihiros is allowing a higher co2 concentration in the tank then cause that is not to far from a yellow colour even with the twin star in my 45p if it got to that colour the Dannios where at the top of the tank maybe it's the difference In tank size as well

I believe it does as it increases the [O2], if my chihiros/twimstar reactors get clogged with scale as it does with having hard water the snails in my 50l fishless tank and RCS hang out near the surface, I have lossed some RCS for this in the pass for this reason, so always try to descale the reactors weekly.

Do you think the chihiros is allowing a higher co2 concentration
I think every tank is different, and that what might work in one may not necessarily work well in another. But generally speaking yes, Chihiros and Twinstar algae busters are really just very efficient, and when you think about it, cheap O2 generators. The jury may be out on whether they reduce green algae etc (I think they do), but they definitely help with O2 saturation, and allow for more wriggle room when it comes to injecting CO2.

so always try to descale the reactors weekly.
Just out of interest Zeus, what do you use to descale and for how long?

Sorry for the highjack Ady :angelic: Nice maintenance tips btw... :thumbup:

i absolutely hate cleaning my pipes.
Reason i only do it once it starts decreasing flow significantly lmao

I agree, however, started using VWP Cleaner Sterilise (it's sold for cleaning home brew equipment) rather than dunking them in domestic bleach to clean. Using the VWP I can just dunk them in it - leave them in it for 30 mins or so and they either come out clean or it makes it really easy to clean them. Even thought of just getting a spare set of pipes and leaving them in this overnight - which is how I used to clean demijohns. Ady's, however look like they aren't ever dirty enough to need anything more than a gentle rinse! Sparkling tank- something to emulate.

Oh what's the eheim vacuum gadget....

I love a gadget and could use something quick and easy for midweek cleaning of shrimp s***

Yes, as others have said it definitely helps livestock in high co2 injected tanks as it increases o2 levels. I’m unsure as to the accuracy of the dc due to the reasons mentioned above with micro co2 bubbles diffusing directly in. That dc colour is at the very end of my photoperiod however it is near that colour for the majority of it.

I agree, however, started using VWP Cleaner Sterilise (it's sold for cleaning home brew equipment) rather than dunking them in domestic bleach to clean. Using the VWP I can just dunk them in it - leave them in it for 30 mins or so and they either come out clean or it makes it really easy to clean them. Even thought of just getting a spare set of pipes and leaving them in this overnight - which is how I used to clean demijohns. Ady's, however look like they aren't ever dirty enough to need anything more than a gentle rinse! Sparkling tank- something to emulate.
Ha, they were definitely dirty looking back at some earlier images :lurking: I’d already ran the cleany pipe through the lily pipe in the image above. I don’t use any bleach generally, the only benefit is the little closed end which the brush doesn’t reach. When that gets particularly bad I will soak in a bleach solution overnight and use a donor outlet to keep the filter running.

I think every tank is different, and that what might work in one may not necessarily work well in another.

Sorry for the highjack Ady :angelic: Nice maintenance tips btw... :thumbup:
No problems at all Tim, and I agree, every tank is different. I also use a lot of surface agitation and I guess the tank has a relitively large surface area, combined with the skimmer it all adds extra o2 and gas exchange.
Oh what's the eheim vacuum gadget....

I love a gadget and could use something quick and easy for midweek cleaning of shrimp s***
Eheim quick vac pro, I think it’s decent for a quick once over when you don’t want to start siphoning and removing water. I wouldn’t use it for a thorough clean.
https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/accessories/cleaning/quick_vac_pro

Cheerio,

I usually soak mine in a cup of white vinegar for about half hour to descale. Then a good rinse and put back on.
Sorry Tim I copied that from your post instead using quote:):crazy:.

Citric acid, teaspoon full with boiling water for some time!!!! well till it goes cool but normally doing a WC so take it out at start back in at the end or easier if I put it back before the tank is full so I can get the Reactor in without getting the end of cable wet as closed top tank
upload_2019-2-2_14-0-49.png

normally do both reactors for both tanks at the same time.

When the reactors are done I empty the kettle stick the Citric acid water in there leave top off kettle so it keeps boiling switch it on for 5 mins and descale the kettle at the same time :D wife made a cup of tea with it a few weeks back :what: lemon tea I think :lol:

When the reactors are done I empty the kettle stick the Citric acid water in there leave top off kettle so it keeps boiling switch it on for 5 mins and descale the kettle at the same time :D wife made a cup of tea with it a few weeks back :what: lemon tea I think :lol:
:eek::lol:
Quite fortunate where I live, the water is soft so we get very little limescale.

With all that goes with creating and maintaining an aquascape it’s important to remember to enjoy it :D

I’ve managed to sit in front of the tank tonight with a cuppa, the dog and catch up with some of my favourite @George Farmer you tube aquascaping content all in one sitting.......:cool::)

(Videos best viewed in higher definition where available as they are just phone video)

Really appreciating the livestock in the tank too. Popped in to my local Maidenhead today and they have more gold tetra. I held off buying more for two reasons. Firstly, as my current fish had suffered a recent outbreak of white spot I wanted longer to ensure no reoccurrence and secondly the fish in the store must be recent arrivals so an extra week will ensure I can see that they are in good health.

A lovely cherry shrimp enjoying cleaning the fissidens which is now starting to grow in well and some of the gold tetra showing lovely colour and behaviour......

Happy Sunday evening :couchpotato:

Last edited:
Pretty much exactly 1 month old and I’ve swapped the 2kg co2 bottle last night. Don’t think that 2kg in 1 month is bad on a tank of this size. I am going to invest in a 6kg bottle in the future so swaps will be less frequent.

Picture just for interest, don’t think I’ve posted a full tank and cabinet shot in daylight planted up:

D4B301F9-1C45-44B9-B1AE-B06956B89C39.jpeg

Cheerio,

Back