• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Hi,
reduced the lighting a few percent just to make things easier. Bba is mainly focused on the exposed branches, and although it is still present on the edges of the plants, it is not getting worse. The tank overall remains nice to look at but keeping the sand clean is near impossible with the abundance of bristlenose again which I’m sure doesn’t help with the algae.
I’m still undecided 100% where to go next but I think it will be a smaller tank.

E737E690-94C3-4F2A-B633-6996FAA5AB36.jpeg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady.
Interresing that you say a smaller tank is a possibility. Sorry if ive missed a post explaining your reasons. But I would be interested as to why smaller.
Regards.

I was looking at a 1200 but thought the 1500 wouldnt be much different in running costs. Well. That's what I've told the wife. 😂😂👍

I'd just like to say thanks for keeping this journal Ady, in all my time on many different forums, this has been my favourite read. Your tank is an inspiration and your honesty about trying to maintain balance is very reassuring to me. Congratulations on such a stunning setup.

Hi Ady.
Interresing that you say a smaller tank is a possibility. Sorry if ive missed a post explaining your reasons. But I would be interested as to why smaller.
Regards.
Hi, I haven’t really explained so I guess I should. Whilst I’ve loved this tank, and it has had ease of maintenence in mind from the outset, as @Siege suggests the maintenance is still considerable on a tank of this size. It is purely the length of time it takes to carry out the basics of sand siphon, pre filter clean, glass clean and water change. On this tank it’s a couple of hours, but more if trimming and full filter/pipe cleans are needed. Whilst this isn’t a huge amount of time, fitting it in can sometimes be tricky when balancing other commitments and tanks. Both of my sons have tanks which I help maintain and with the inclusion of the ea600 I have realised how much quicker it is to maintain this tank comparatively. I can perform general maintenance in about half and hour, less than an hour with more intensive maintenance. Opting for a couple of smaller tanks will allow more freedom with maintenance, perhaps performing water changes when the family is in bed for example later on an evening. With the big tank trying to perform 2 hrs of cleaning once everyone is in bed isn’t ideal......I don’t fancy it by then tbh :lol: Then if I were to opt for a more intensive scape that time would only increase. Smaller tanks simply take less time and are less expensive to scape. I really do love this tank though and my plan is to keep it so I can swap several smaller tanks out for one big tank if I fancy a change again in the future.
😂

Massive step up in maintenance time though from the 1200 to 1500 though. That plus the hardscape, plants etc.
Exactly.

I changed a 6’ tank to 2X 600 and 1 x 900.

Really good swap, but wish I’d got a 120-p instead of the 900. Looking to change it next year. Not that much extra water in volume but will give me more scope.

Just food for thought!
Yeah, I really don’t want a 4ft, and I like wider tanks tbh......plus ada is a jump in cost :nailbiting:
I'd just like to say thanks for keeping this journal Ady, in all my time on many different forums, this has been my favourite read. Your tank is an inspiration and your honesty about trying to maintain balance is very reassuring to me. Congratulations on such a stunning setup.
Ah, thanks so much for the comment, it means a lot and that’s what these journals are all about. We can all learn from each other’s experiences and they are always good to look back on for reference.

Anyhow, I got a 900e twinstar light for Christmas so that is a strong clue as to the size of tank I’m going for :lol:

I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas and all the best for 2021. I’m grateful to be part of a hobby which seems largely unaffected by the events of this year and I will look forward to enjoying Scaping during the coming year.

cheerio,
20D71E67-734E-47FA-A81B-49E63626DE3A.jpeg

I would also like to say thanks ady such a inspirational tank and must say i am glad your going for a 900 so I can get some tips and hints from following along your next journey ;) cant wait to see what equipment you will be using and what hardscape ideas you have, the 900 is a great size that is not to big but not to small its just right :D and doesn't take up to much time, i did large water change this morning and glass clean etc took around a hour but could be quicker if needed.

Just watched the video with George again on my laptop rather than phone such as stunning scape and just fits so well into living space :clap:
thanks again and be waiting for the new journal.
Dean

Last edited:
I would also like to say thanks ady such a inspirational tank and must say i am glad your going for a 900 so I can get some tips and hints from following along your next journey ;) cant wait to see what equipment you will be using and what hardscape ideas you have, the 900 is a great size that is not to big but not to small its just right :D and doesn't take up to much time, i did large water change this morning and glass clean etc took around a hour but could be quicker if needed.

Just watched the video with George again on my laptop rather than phone such as stunning scape and just fits so well into living space :clap:
thanks again and be waiting for the new journal.
Dean
Thanks Dean, your comments are very much appreciated.
I haven’t got a clear idea of a scape yet but I’m sure once I have the tank I’ll get a feel for something.

Stunning as always and love the Xmas tree also ;) so what are the plans for it in 2021?
thanks Paulo, the 1500 will be put away for another day. The plan is to rotate between several smaller tanks or one big tank at a time.....will see how that goes but I really don’t want to move the 1500 on as it’s a great tank.

Stunning tank mate I follow you on Instagram this is a real inspiration for fellow hobbyists

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Stunning tank mate I follow you on Instagram this is a real inspiration for fellow hobbyists

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the support :):cool:

2 years old today 🥳
This will be staying a little longer due to the current lockdown restrictions. No point in taking it down when I can’t get another tank set up in its place.
In situ Last night......
A262880E-17BA-4921-8DF7-C69B64211B90.jpeg

Cheerio,

Absolutely stunning tank and journal was very informative/ fantastic to follow, carry on the great work 👍

2 years old today
Happy Anniversary :) this one is still my favourite tank of all time, reminds me of the first one I created with plain gravel that I had going for 7 year or more! I might convert my current A900 to something similar to this!

Cracking looking set up, I would be very proud to have a aquascape as stunning as that in my living room.
Thank you.
Absolutely stunning tank and journal was very informative/ fantastic to follow, carry on the great work 👍
Thanks, I enjoy the journal process and it’s always there to refer back to if needed.
Happy Anniversary :) this one is still my favourite tank of all time, reminds me of the first one I created with plain gravel that I had going for 7 year or more! I might convert my current A900 to something similar to this!
Thanks Paulo.
7 years is an incredible length of time and a great achievement.

Working a little harder with this tank again with 2x weekly maintenence sessions of sand siphoning and water changes. I’ve picked the bba from the wood, trimmed the worst effected plants and hopefully it will improve. I need to try and catch some Bristlenose and re-home them again if I’m to be truly successful however with the breakdown of the tank coming it seems almost futile.

72A28F25-002C-4AD1-BD02-ED69AC7B8148.jpeg

A3EB88D2-9D10-45C6-8244-EFEF52DB9C99.jpeg

BF61E51F-64D4-48D4-A4F4-F27B8906B80E.jpeg

47301FBA-32FA-4046-9CD7-4EA148826938.jpeg

Cheerio,

Its a great tank and a great journal read .l thought having a 55gallon downstairs my other smaller tanks 3 of would work out well upstairs bedrooms and landing but the maintenance even though low energy ones never really took into account

Back