• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Purigen Alternative

Hi all,
I've just finished <"How does Prime detoxify ammonia and nitrite?">I really enjoyed it and have stolen various bits to use in later posts, it is absolute comic gold, and the posters on it <"obviously don't fear litigation">.
Ah yes that's the one I was thinking of, albeit it was a while back now - Seachem prime ????
I'm guessing that is where we are still: <"Seachem prime ????">.
...... the disinfectant is still chlorine (as hypochlorous acid HClO), and it this trickles out as the chloramine breaks down to Cl- and NH3(NH4+). Because it is trickling out over time, a planted tank will mop up the NH3.

Seachem won't tell you how "Prime" works, but Kordon's "Amquel" has a patent <http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/water-conditioner/amquel#compatabilities!> and I would be very surprised if the mode of action of Prime is much different.

I would suspect that all the newer, "better" conditioners (have a look at the blurb for "Amquel+") use EDTA and sodium hydroxymethanesulphonate (or similar). The EDTA chelates any heavy metals (as long as Fe ions aren't present in large amounts) and the hydroxymethane - end of the molecule reacts with ammonia to form a non-toxic, stable water-soluble compound "aminomethanesulphonate". The sulphonate end of the molecule reacts with both free-available chlorine, and combined-available chlorine in chloramines. Any ammonia (from the break down of the chloramine) is then mopped up by the sodium hydroxymethanesulphonate.

cheers Darrel

I found a couple of purigen knock offs on amazon and decided to get some. It was 715ml for $20 USD. 1L of purigen is $57 USD. It looks a lot like purigen and it smells like it too. I wonder if it's the exact same stuff, or is purigen actually something special 🤔.
20231127_212257.jpg

Purigen advertised capacity is 100ml per 100 galon. Yours is 715 ml per 100 galon. I would expect a true knock off to advertise the same numbers.

Then again, I always imagine a magician taking a random number out of a top hat when reading these instructions, or with ceramic media...

Purigen advertised capacity is 100ml per 100 galon. Yours is 715 ml per 100 galon. I would expect a true knock off to advertise the same numbers.

Then again, I always imagine a magician taking a random number out of a top hat when reading these instructions, or with ceramic media...
If the numbers they both advertise are true then the Purigen would be a lot cheaper. I find it hard to believe that I need such a small amount of Purigen to filter my big tank but I guess Seachem doesn't have anything to gain in saying you need less of their product.
Think there's a clue in the packaging make you think it's Purigen. I would just get Purigen and know what you have
Yeah I think I am going to do this and drop both of them in my sump. I am curious to see how they will both look like after a few weeks.

Back