• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PURE Aquarium

Mike Singh

Anyone tried this? It won Practical Fishkeeper product of the year.

Yes, I tried them years ago. They’re meant to introduce bacteria to inoculate the filter. Not sure they made any difference and they left tiny, nearly impossible to see spheres in the tank which took ages to get rid of. I don’t recommend them.

I put one in my tank at start up but could not tell as to whether it made any difference or not, and similar to what @hypnogogia experienced above, I think it took 3 or 4 months to disappear from view.

Hi all,
It doesn't make the product <"any more useful">, it just reduces any remaining respect you may have had for <"Practical Fishkeeping"> as an unbiased source of information . The best thing you can say is that they probably aren't going to do any harm.
.... PURE Aquarium is a combination of the correct strains of bacteria and enzymes delivered in biodegradable balls containing a food source which will achieve the following benefits in a freshwater aquarium:
I've got a very jaundiced view, but they are <"just a gimmick">, there is no mention of which bacteria or what the food source might be.
PURE AQUARIUM is a natural product containing a high concentration of bacteria and enzymes. The bacteria and enzymes work to break down ammonia and nitrite and clean up organic waste in your water, to address water clarity issues.
Have a look at <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements"> and <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">. I'm guessing the problem with having <"science on your side"> is that it doesn't sell any magazines or magic bullets.

That is an issue for <"plants and time">, you <"can't easily monetize it">.

I'm going to guess that probability means that they "work" for some people, it is nothing to do with the product, it is just <"the passage of time"> that will mean the tanks will become more stable.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

How convenient that it's a consumable product that you have to keep purchasing. To be fair I've never tried it, I've also never struggled with having water that isn't clear, it seems half the YouTubers I watch love to pimp all the chemicals they endlessly put into their tank to give them clear water (no doubt from a sponsor). Do people really struggle with murky water? Am I just lucky? :playful:

Hi all,

It doesn't make the product <"any more useful">, it just reduces any remaining respect you may have had for <"Practical Fishkeeping"> as an unbiased source of information . The best thing you can say is that they probably aren't going to do any harm.

I've got a very jaundiced view, but they are <"just a gimmick">, there is no mention of which bacteria or what the food source might be.

Have a look at <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements"> and <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">. I'm guessing the problem with having <"science on your side"> is that it doesn't sell any magazines or magic bullets.

That is an issue for <"plants and time">, you <"can't easily monetize it">.

I'm going to guess that probability means that they "work" for some people, it is nothing to do with the product, it is just <"the passage of time"> that will mean the tanks will become more stable.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel
I was waiting for your response! So it’s like supplements in health food shops! No clear scientific evidence but cleaver loop hole marketing, “it worked in lab rats so it must be good for humans”.

Do people really struggle with murky water?
Try something like Seachem Clarity and putting a sheet of fine floss in the filter for a day or two. I have used this many times after a major plant re-arrange and water went cloudy, the floss after a day or two was covered in a fine slime !!!!

like most of these products its probably a mixture of beneficial bacteria and an algaecide. this combination does work, but sometimes causes problems. something like the link below. i have used similar in a marine tank to lessen the effects of the ugly phase and it did work. The product i uesd was called vibrant. there was a lot of negative press around it, but worked for me

Hi all,
So it’s like supplements in health food shops! No clear scientific evidence but cleaver loop hole marketing, “it worked in lab rats so it must be good for humans”.
Yes, like a cross between a health supplement business and an <"unborn child sex prediction service"> - "you get your money back if we predict the wrong sex for your baby".
........ Wondering whether you're having a boy or girl? Our Chinese gender predictor calculator forecasts your baby's sex based on an ancient Chinese gender chart and the Chinese lunar calendar......
The commercial issue with solutions like <"live food">, <"rain water">, using your <"tap water as a remineraliser">, lots of <"dissolved oxygen">, <"Secret Ingredient Soup"> and <"Frogbit Audrey 2"> etc. is that they are "free to the user" or, at best, single time sales.
The "problems" (purely in commercial terms) with the <"Duckweed / Frogbit Index"> are that:
That is the issue with all these solutions, it isn't that they don't work, the problem is that they work much too well, meaning you <"don't get any repeat sales">.

Ideally commercially you want a product <"that is neutral in effect"> and <"offers a huge profit margin">.

Once you've <"hooked your punter"> (with <"clever advertising">) you just need to keep them believing that your product <"is a magic bullet"> and that biblical plagues of frogs etc. will <"descend if they stop using it">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
It doesn't make the product <"any more useful">, it just reduces any remaining respect you may have had for <"Practical Fishkeeping"> as an unbiased source of information .
That one. You'd expect snake oil from any commercial concern whose sole reason for being is to invent new and interesting ways to try and part us from our hard earned cash. But I find that sort of maneuver form Practical Fishkeeping disappointing. Either way, we all know there is absolutely no shortcut to maintaining a healthy planted tank or fish tank.

Hi all,
like most of these products its probably a mixture of beneficial bacteria and an algaecide. this combination does work, but sometimes causes problems. something like the link below.
FritzZyme Monster 360 Freshwater: <"FritzZyme Monster 360 Freshwater - Shirley Aquatics">
..... If left untouched, this sludge can lead to algae growth.
It wants you to think it is an algaecide, but it doesn't actually say that, and it will have absolutely no effect on plants, <"wanted or unwanted">.
SKU: N/ACategories: Aquarium, Water Conditioners, Water Treatments, Water Treatments & Testing Brand: Fritz Aquatics
£27.99 – £41.99
<"Similar idea"> to <"Pure Aquarium | Evolution Aqua"> and also aspirationally priced. I'm going to guess you could buy the same product, much more cheaply, as a <"Sludge Buster"> for <"Ponds"> or Septic tanks.
......... FritzZyme Monster 360 Biological Aquarium Cleaner is a concentrated easy dosing aquarium conditioner that works in every type of system. It's safe for all species, including plants and invertebrates and it works easily and efficiently to reduce organics in your system naturally.
<"Heterotrophic"> is the important term here, they aren't claiming any nitrification capacity, just that it is a mix of bacteria that will decompose organic carbon and protein etc. It <"isn't a lie">, but it isn't really relevant either, if you have sufficient dissolved oxygen then the microbial assemblage will change dependent upon the substrate available to it.
The powerfully probiotic blends of heterophobic bacteria quickly digests organic sludge commonly found in aquariums. This sludge is made up of fish waste, leftover food and other decaying organic matter. If left untouched, this sludge can lead to algae growth......
If you have a <"high bioload">, you don't need this product, but you do <"need more dissolved oxygen">.

With efficient mechanical and biological filtration you can keep fish at <"insane stocking rates">, <"even without plants"> and <"we have plants">.

cheers Darrel

Try something like Seachem Clarity and putting a sheet of fine floss in the filter for a day or two. I have used this many times after a major plant re-arrange and water went cloudy, the floss after a day or two was covered in a fine slime !!!!
That's different though as you're using a flocculator to clump really fine stuff after working in the tank to then filter it out.

Hi all,
I know for PFK "LFS retailers" it is a readers poll, is it the same for "products of the year"? If it was? It would be a little more understandable.
But I find that sort of maneuver form Practical Fishkeeping particularly cynical
If it isn't a reader's poll? It is disappointing. I know times are tough, but I can only really see two options, which are:
  • They think it is a good product.
  • They know it is snake oil, but were financially rewarded by "Pure Aqua".
and neither of those options paints them in a good light.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
They think it is a good product.
I've just found the review: <"Evolution Aqua Pure Aquarium review">. I'll stick with <"interesting">, although I have to be honest and say that that wasn't the first term that came to mind**.

The author (Nathan Hill) writes:
.... I felt satisfied that this product can back up its claims. Understandably, Evolution Aqua wants to keep some product technicalities close to its chest, so I had a few gaps to fill with speculative research. My best theory is that the process is similar to the immobilisation techniques using polyethylene glycol (or PEG) prepolymers, as used in water sewage treatments. If I’m right then the research behind this method is watertight and the results — at least where treatment of waste water is involved — are well documented and very impressive with captured bacteria that get to work quickly.........
....... I’m very impressed. I never thought I’d be saying that about a bacterial product, but the science is sound*, the product makes realistic claims, and in the flesh it has positive effects. Good effort, Evolution Aqua!

*I'm not entirely sure how he came to this conclusion, as there is absolutely <"no sound science in the review">.
** This is about the fourth re-write, and is about <"as diplomatic"> as I can manage.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
“I’m very impressed. I never thought I’d be saying that about a bacterial product, but the science is sound, the product makes realistic claims, and in the flesh it has positive effects. Good effort, Evolution Aqua!“

Hi all,

I've just found the review: <"Evolution Aqua Pure Aquarium review">. I'll stick with <"interesting">, although I have to be honest and say that that wasn't the first term that came to mind**.

The author (Nathan Hill) writes:

*I'm not entirely sure how he came to this conclusion, as there is absolutely <"no sound science in the review">.
** This is about the fourth re-write, and is about <"as diplomatic"> as I can manage.

cheers Darrel

Probably has nothing to do with the fact that the previous PFK editor, was also Marketing and Business Development Manager at Evolution Aqua.

Hi all,
Probably has nothing to do with the fact that his old mate and mucker, Jeremy Gay previous PFK editor, was also Marketing and Business Development Manager at Evolution Aqua.
I honestly don't know, he starts by saying that they (as a product class) are something that he is sceptical about, and then that he had a disagreement with the man he interviewed, who failed to give him any technical details, but dependent upon the way he thinks they are produced they are backed by "sound science".

Then we have a bit of eulogy, but interspersed with some veiled warnings.

I really don't know what to make of it. I still think it is a product with no practical value whatsoever, but it is a bizarre bit of journalism.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back