• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Preparing RO for black water

Fran

Hi all, I am about to set up a black water tank for tetras and Corys. My tap water is rock hard however. So, I'm going to use RO and remineralise with seachem replenish to get a nice low GH and seachem trace. Will my water then be ok for fish after cycling or would I need anything else? Thanks.

Hi all,
So, I'm going to use RO and remineralise
If you really want <"true blackwater"> you don't need to remineralise the water at all, just add some tannic and humic compounds.

If you just want to add a bit of dGH (and dKH) your tap water <"is ideal for that">. You are going to add magnesium (Mg) with your fertiliser addition.

I know Co. Offaly isn't the wettest place in Ireland, but is rainwater an option for you? It cuts out a lot of mucking about.
remineralise with seachem replenish to get a nice low GH and seachem trace
I'm not keen on Seachem as a company <"Seachem method of potassium dosing">, but "Equilibrium" would be more suitable than <"Replenish"> which <"contains sodium (Na) salts">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I will be adding katappa leaves for tannins and may use some red bush tea for colour also. I will have little or know plants at the beginning. Perhaps some Brazilian pennywort or eleocharis later on. My priority is the fish and I want to give them soft acidic water. I don't mind making the RO water either. I have a pump for my RO unit and find the whole process enjoyable. My tap water really is very hard and I've had to change multiple taps in my house over the years. So I think I have a mental block on adding it to the tank. But as long as my plan is safe for the fish, I will go with it for now.

Hi all,
I will have little or know plants at the beginning.
A floater? I've talked with <"Tom Christoffersen"> and he says you find <"Pistia stratiotes"> all over the Peruvian Amazon basin.

This <"sort of thing">.

inin-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

What species are you planning on keeping? Not all corydoras and tetras will require black water conditions.

What species are you planning on keeping? Not all corydoras and tetras will require black water conditions.
I am thinking green neons, rummynose, Cory Adolfoi, Beckford pencil fish. But tbh, I just like the aesthetic of a black water tank.

Some of the Beckford's out there can be incredibly aggressive with tank mates, exhaustingly so as they are very fast. Just saying, choose Taxi not Taxi Driver.

Some of the Beckford's out there can be incredibly aggressive with tank mates, exhaustingly so as they are very fast. Just saying, choose Taxi not Taxi Driver.
I've kept a group before with rummys and the beckfords kept to themselves. Always sparring. Great fish.

I am thinking green neons, rummynose, Cory Adolfoi, Beckford pencil fish. But tbh, I just like the aesthetic of a black water tank.
Fairenough, they’re all species that will appreciate black water. As @dw1305 i would just add a small amount of tap to your RO to get your desired tds.

If it’s the aesthetic you’re after you won’t have to go so extreme on a low tds and Ph like you would for what would be considered a ‘true blackwater setup’.

Cheers

I run a blackwater tank on pure RO water. I don't add any minerals to the tank. The TDS creeps up every week, so I conduct weekly water changes. Other than that, blackwater tanks are a walk in the park. I have some Ceratopteris thalictroides floating at the water surface. They're alive but not really kicking; which is fine by me.

Last edited:
Back