• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pre filter foam for intakes

Alastair

Hi, as the title states does anyone have any links to either blocks or a sheet of a finer filter foam that I can cut into blocks and slide over my intake grills as I have done already on my new journal.

They need to be minimum of 2 inch by 2 inch by 4 inch tall.

The blocks ive got on at present are a little too coarse despite me thinking they werent and my cherries managed to get through the foam and make home in the pre filter tray inside my filter.
I need finer as if the juveniles can get in then shrimplets would easily get through.
I prefer to have a block cut and slotted over the grill and not just a fluval pre filter stuck on the end of the pipe instead or foam wrapped around.

Thanks 🙂

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I've tried all manner of foam solutions (because they're cheap), and I've now got stainless mesh fitted to all my tanks. Nothing else comes close for keeping the shrimp out and being easy to clean, as well as looking ok.

Hurts to buy them, but worth the investment.

Hi Alastair, personally I've found the gush type filter guards fine enough to stop shrimplets, they do need weekly cleaning though.

Hiya tim thanks mate. Im not a real lover of the metal mesh intakes and no when I had my 2078 pro3e that flow reduced whilst using them. Plus they clog super quick.

I've tried all manner of foam solutions (because they're cheap), and I've now got stainless mesh fitted to all my tanks. Nothing else comes close for keeping the shrimp out and being easy to clean, as well as looking ok.

Hurts to buy them, but worth the investment.

Cheers rick. I know your point is very valid I just dont like the mesh inlets for some reason

Hi all,
Try "TA Aquaculture" <TA-Aquaculture>. If they haven't got anything suitable on site Tim Addis may be able to point you in the right direction. Possibly this one otherwise <Other Filter Media Brands at zooplus: Filter Media blue fine>?
I've tried all manner of foam solutions (because they're cheap), and I've now got stainless mesh fitted to all my tanks. Nothing else comes close for keeping the shrimp out and being easy to clean
That is interesting, the fine PPI30 sponge is really fine pored, and I'd assumed that it would keep even the smallest fry/shrimp out.

cheers Darrel

Awesome thanks darrel. Just found the ideal ones. Tubular in shape too but I see the green sponge appears finer than the blue in this link....im going for the 4th one down.
Would the green be a littlw too restrictive darrel
TA-Aquaculture

Edit: have just emailed tim but think ill go for the medium density blue. This should be ok shouldnt it??

I have a similar green foam tube over my eheim 2213 intake on my smaller tank.

Well I did until I took that tank down recently.

It did gather mulm and fur up eventually, but it was easy enough to pull off and give a squeeze to to clear it out.

That is interesting, the fine PPI30 sponge is really fine pored, and I'd assumed that it would keep even the smallest fry/shrimp out.

cheers Darrel

They keep things out, but they're then a pain to keep clean. The mesh is a nice compromise in my book 🙂.

Back