• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Potamogeton gayi

zozo

What about this plant in a small aquarium? It says its a fast grower for mid / background in medium size or large aquarium. I would like to try it as mid ground in a small tank. Can it be done or is it going to be a dissaster? Any experiences someone? :)

Potamogeton gayi is different from most Potamogetons, in that it has (relatively) short internodes and branch very willingly. This makes it possible to actually trim a group of stems quite low and achieve a quite bushy appearance. It still spread by runners, though, so you will have to remove those very often too, to keep up appearance. The orange tips of new growth add very positively to appearance in this way of use.
- so in short; yes it's absolutely possible (I've done it myself), but takes constant gardening !!!

Ok i'll get them tomorow, anyway.. But then i did read somewhere they go to 3 feet + and grow fast, so i got scared with my 45 litres.. :) Thanks for the info..

It depends on your light and other conditions. In good high power tank it will grow fast and big, in low light with limited nutrients you can expect smaller stems. You can get some idea on this plant from my journal about pet shop tank (beginning of journal, layout no 1).

Ok!? Thanks Alex!ander. To much for this little piggy.

Did put a few strings in there anyway, it's a nice plant it feathers and softens the corner.. Gave it a shady spot in the back, behind the rotala and see where it goes from there.
jx4y8ms.jpg

7wfvrvZ.jpg

BTW Alexander, where can i find your journal? Can't seem to find it.

Hi all,
Unfortunatelly this is still not available for order from Tropica
It is a favourite of mine as well.

I think the problem is that it is an obligate aquatic, which means it doesn't fit in very well with Tropica's emersed production techniques. Mick.Dk may be able to add some more detail.

cheers Darrel

Darrel is right (as usual !!!). True aquatic plants are "problematic" to produce - making them expensive.
- but this may change............;)

I created a bottleneck in the pond, with a pile of rocks and put a pump in front of it to create a swift stream. The fish love to play in it and chase eachother against the current.
I got a whole bunch of this Potamogeton, didn't want to put them all in the tank, to much. But i can imagine this plant growing in streams and wave in the current with her slender long leaves, so i did put the rest in the pond, in the stream, see what it will do in there this summer. Looks cool like that, its a very nice plant.. :)
UToY9Rh.jpg

Back