• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Possible relapse (formely called "Urgent help please")

On of the Gouramis is at the top. Not gasping but super super still. I don't know what else to do
The rest of them seem to be ok

Yes thank you. But not sure I full understand the meaning. Specially in number 16
Hi @confusedman

Let's say your nitrate (NO3-) reading was 10 ppm (from the test kit). Then you would need to multiply this figure by the factor shown (i.e. 4.43) in order to get the figure that would normally be recognized and used throughout the UK. For some obscure reason, NTL are adopting the USA system - not the European/UK system. So, your UK-adjusted figure for nitrate would be 10 x 4.43 = 44.3 ppm. The multiplication factors are different for each of ammonia (NH3-N) and nitrite (NO2-N).

Hope that helps.

JPC

Hi @confusedman

Let's say your nitrate (NO3-) reading was 10 ppm (from the test kit). Then you would need to multiply this figure by the factor shown (i.e. 4.43) in order to get the figure that would normally be recognized and used throughout the UK. For some obscure reason, NTL are adopting the USA system - not the European/UK system. So, your UK-adjusted figure for nitrate would be 10 x 4.43 = 44.3 ppm. The multiplication factors are different for each of ammonia (NH3-N) and nitrite (NO2-N).

Hope that helps.

JPC
Thank you for your help.

Does that mean that my Nitrates are super high? What shall I do? i changed around 50`% of the water last evening and this morning I did a 20% one.
The fish seem to be ok apart from one of the Gouramis.
Seriously, this is soooo stressful (and I swear to god Im trying to do it right, not worrying about expenses or time or effort, but obviously is not working)

I know this isn’t in the vein of where this discussion is leading at the minute, but have you considered CO2?

I have observed the same symptoms of fish being lethargic and shrimps disappearing into hiding, when my CO2 has been set too high as it causes stress. Just a thought and worth a check.

Hi Folks,

Even if the adjusted figure for nitrate was, say, 50ppm, I don't think this is the problem here. I would obviously be more interested in knowing the ammonia and nitrite readings/adjusted figures.

JPC

Noted jpc, I was suspicious of the nitrate reading in the original "Test kit thread" considering London tends to have high nitrate levels.

@confusedman the gourami are labyrinth fish and can effectively get air out of the atmosphere (at the surface) if oxygen levels are low they'll tend to hang around gulping air at the top.
Not sure what else to suggest if you're regularly changing water then it would probably rule out low oxygen levels.

I know this isn’t in the vein of where this discussion is leading at the minute, but have you considered CO2?

I have observed the same symptoms of fish being lethargic and shrimps disappearing into hiding, when my CO2 has been set too high as it causes stress. Just a thought and worth a check.
I dont do anything in my tank related to C02

Hi Confusedman,

I think you need to do 50% waterchanges every day/every other day again, or maybe every 3 days. I saw you did one today, that's good. I know it can be hard to judge but use your hand to try to judge the water tempurature - fish get stressed if the water is different by a more than 3 degrees or so I've noticed, and will get more stressed if you're changing a big amount of water with a different temp. This can make them stressed for quite a few hours, which could be why they're acting strangely.

I saw you just cleaned your filter yesterday, I bet that was stopping the filter more than you would think, the sponges can get really clogged, and now its clean you will get much better flow. Ideally you should clean the filter like you did yesterday every month, to keep the water flowing well which is really important so the fish and bacteria in your tank get enough oxygen. It would also be good to make sure your filter is quite high up so the flow coming out of it disturbs the water surface, giving you extra oxygen.

Was it a dead amano in the filter? Once I had a dead amano in my 60L which I didn't realise in time to take it out and it caused a massive bacterial bloom from the extra ammonia/chemicals the body gave off. Your shrimp could've given off these chemicals, and your filter as it was clogged hasn't been able to process the extra chemicals in the water. Now you've cleaned the filter and changed the water that will have helped a lot, but the fish may still feel a bit bad from whatever was going wrong before.

Don't worry about the plants doing anything bad, plants don't do bad stuff to fish when the plants are alive. Keep them in they will only help absorb stuff.

Keep calm it will be ok! I know it's so hard when the fish seem stressed, it's really easy to get stressed too, but remember you are doing all you can, and we will do what we cna to advise. It seems like a good idea to look into potential illnesses - this is why we quarantine fish, to protect your current fish stock from getting any diseases from the new fish, it gives you a chance to see how the new fish are doing and to more easily treat the new fish so they can go and live in your main tnak without any worries. TBH though most people don't quarantine until something bad happens to them and they realise how important it is, and if they have the space.

Until sunday we did 50% water changes every other day.
This week we thought we could go to the weekly 50% changes.
The filter was cleaned on sunday (always in "dirty" water)
I normally get the temperature as similar to the tank one before I put the water in. I add the Seachem to the new water in the indicated doses.

@confusedman can you post any pictures of the fish close up, it might help rule in/out any potential diseases or give other clues.
Picture 1 is the poorly Gourami. That pic could be a video because he is just there. Not moving
The rest of the fish seem to be acting normal now. One platy is missing form the pics.
In total there are
2 Gouramis
2 Platys (one missing form the pic)
2 Mollys (one black one Dalmatian)

Attachments

• tempImagegcBBOo.png
    tempImagegcBBOo.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 144
  • tempImagehRytmK.png
    tempImagehRytmK.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 139
  • tempImageyiIkbD.png
    tempImageyiIkbD.png
    19.5 MB · Views: 147
  • tempImage4K5OhR.png
    tempImage4K5OhR.png
    18.4 MB · Views: 151
  • tempImageMTPhgM.png
    tempImageMTPhgM.png
    19 MB · Views: 136
  • tempImageYSdFqr.png
    tempImageYSdFqr.png
    17.7 MB · Views: 142
  • tempImageWUF5Wo.png
    tempImageWUF5Wo.png
    18.2 MB · Views: 153
I could put the Gourami in the quarantine tank with the swordtail but I am worried that the change of temperature and conditions might be more negative than beneficial

I can't see the pictures very well (could be my phone) but I can make out clamped fins and possibly stringy white poo? Do any of the fishes bellys look sunken and is any of the poo clear/stringy.

Tough call on the gourami, I'd be tempted to leave it were it is for now to avoid further stress.

Yeah @confusedman sent me a video, and I noticed that orange molly does have long white poo in it that's staying there while it swims around, I don't keep Mollies so don't know if that's unusual, but to me that suggests a parasite? The male gourami at the top is definitely in distress, it isn't moving and has clamped fins as you see in the photo.

If it was my tank and I'd ruled out oxygen shortage, high ammonia/nitrite levels, cleaned the filter and so on then I'd possibly move on to treat disease. Just be sure the above ones are ruled out.

The string of poo has beenn there (not in the Gouramis though but in Platy and Molly) since the beginning and I assumed that was "normal"

I dont mind running to the shop, but what should I get?

Back