• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Possible BBA and a host of questions

I can see that the plants I do have are growing so that's a good sign however, so is the green hair algae on the new leaves and the brown algae is still a go. I need to keep taking photos to confirm but I think I'm seeing more tufts of BBA on the wood than before.

Hi @Marcus_F

In order to get an update, I have a few questions - if that's OK:

1 Did you decide to test the nitrate in your tank? If so, what was the result and which test kit did you use?

2 Did you decide to try the JBL SiO2 Test Kit? If so, what was the result?

3 Did you decide to email your water company about silicate?

4 Are you using a source of carbon for your plants? If so, which product are you using?

5 Do you have any thoughts as to how you'd like to move forward from here?

JPC

Hi,

I'll answer these below.

1) I used the API liquid test on Nitrate, it came out at either 10ppm or 20ppm the difference between the two colours is minimal so I can never tell. It's not yellow so it's not 5ppm and not red so not yet 40ppm.

2) The JBL SiO2 kit is on order, waiting for delivery

3) I've not yet, but I will do so shortly.

4) No source of carbon now, I was using Seachem Excel but I don't know. That's been stopped for about 2 weeks.

5) My thoughts are I like all the plants I have, they seem to be growing ok. The stem plants have never worked so I'll avoid them in favour of bushes (java fern etc.) Happy with what I have if it grows healthy and can combat the algae.

I've potentially been slack with the filter media changes, as my concentration has always been on the fish I've only ever rinsed the sponges every two months and not replaced. As Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate were all good levels I thought the filter was on top form. I've order a lot of new media to start doing gradual swaps to get cleaner sponges in there. I have swapped out some of the polishing pads, but not the sponges that came with the Fluval filter.

Could poor media cleaning be the cause of all this algae?

I thought I was dosing phosphate in phosphorus?

Going to keep up with media cleaning and changes, got Amazon all setup for auto delivery now too.

I thought I was dosing phosphate in phosphorus?

I haven't been watching this thread closely. You will recall I said that I would take a back seat. So, what is the current phosphate level in your tank? In what form are you dosing phosphorus?

JPC

My phosphate is low, I think 0.25 rings a bell but would need to test again to be sure.

I’m dosing NPK as per basic instructions on Seachem bottles

Phosphate reading of tank is either 0, 0.25 or 0.5ppm based on what shade of green my eyes can pick up :rolleyes: I do hate colour cards. I reckon it's between 0.25 and 0.5 and 6ml of phosphate was dosed this morning (just AFTER the test).

Hi @Marcus_F
Phosphate reading of tank is either 0, 0.25 or 0.5ppm based on what shade of green my eyes can pick up :rolleyes: I do hate colour cards. I reckon it's between 0.25 and 0.5 and 6ml of phosphate was dosed this morning (just AFTER the test).

Your phosphate reading looks good. Just remind me which test kit you are using. I think the next thing to do is to remove any organic waste (technically known as 'crud'!) from your filter media.

Please keep us posted.

JPC

I used the API liquid kit for Phosphate test, always turn to them except the JBL kit for SiO2 I'm still waiting on.

Update time.... So the green hair algae stuff seems to have left the tank. Not sure if it's because i'm getting the right balance of the dwarf catfish I added have had a good feast. Plants all seem to be growing, don't have any that I'm concerned about other than the standard non bushy sessiliflora . It's still got way too much space between each set of leaves. Still getting new growth from the base though so not all lost.

The brown slime algae still persists, I did the SiO2 test on my tank water only and it was off the chart. Haven't done my tap water but can't imagine it's going to be less. Will do that today to at least eradicate it something in my tank causing a high reading.

The brown algae is a bother in that my plants don't look green and bright but it's not doing too much harm and the snails, shrimp and catfish like to feast on it. What to me looks like BBA on my wood is more pronounced now, I'm ok with it at the moment, it's quite natural looking but do have to make sure it doesn't take hold.

Lights are at 40% each on whites, red 25% and blue 3% and have recently increased to 7hrs a day without any noticeable difference.

Have some photos on my phone which I'll upload on next post shortly to show the progress. Couple of colours on plants I'd like an opinion on...

4E7AA3AC-FC56-4969-9B6D-AB30787D28D0.jpeg This Congo fern has some dark patches? Been in the tank on a rock for about 2 weeks now.

Wood showing what I think is BBA....
9027504F-45FA-494B-BE1E-0D12BBE46DE3.jpeg 73AFFF5D-2499-44E2-9C86-86B2039EE608.jpeg

This is front view of current status.
2FF5B92C-A44D-4891-93CC-D0C242D6FFE5.jpeg

I'd say that's definitely a mild case of BBA on your wood.

You'd better get on top of it before it starts effecting the plants.

People say that dosing Excel every day is good at combating BBA, they also say spot dosing Excel works.

I do daily Excel dosing, but don't get BBA - so can't say much more on that.

Would it harm some plants though like the Java Fern or water wysteria I have?

The BBA or Excel?

Yes BBA can spread to plants and it would do then harm. It's much harder to clear a tank of BBA once it spreads to plants.

I've never heard of Java Fern or Wysteria being sensitive to Excel, but I also don't keep them.

Yeah I was referring to the Excel.

I've got some but have stopped. Will wait out for more responses and then start to use. I'd use the direct application approach and water changes. Cant get all wood out the water but can get to a fair bit.

Hi @Marcus_F
The brown slime algae still persists, I did the SiO2 test on my tank water only and it was off the chart. Haven't done my tap water but can't imagine it's going to be less. Will do that today to at least eradicate it something in my tank causing a high reading.

What's the latest on the brown slime algae and SiO2?

JPC

Hi @Marcus_F

What's the latest on the brown slime algae and SiO2?

JPC

All still there, non sign of any let up. New leaves form, stay green for a day or two and then slowly their edges get covered. Can visually see plants growing now too. BBA is under control, it's a nice look on the wood and isn't spreading or gaining a strong hold.

Hi @Marcus_F
...I did the SiO2 test on my tank water only and it was off the chart. Haven't done my tap water but can't imagine it's going to be less. Will do that today to at least eradicate it something in my tank causing a high reading.

Did you test your tap water for SiO2? What was your tank water reading?

JPC

Hi @Marcus_F

Please remind me what substrate material you are using. There is a possibility that silicate is leaching from your substrate. If your tap water silicate reading is less than the tank water silicate reading, then something in your tank is causing this. And, your substrate would be the obvious culprit. If the readings are t'other way around, then it's time to think again.

Personally, I don't test for SiO2 as I don't normally use tap water.

JPC

Back