• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pond Care

Hcouper

Seedling
Good afternoon!

I’m looking to care for a pond at an allotment that I’ve recently taken over, I’ve never maintained a pond before. It’s very overgrown, matted with roots and quite shallow. However I have seen frogs in the pond, and there was a newt nearby it last year. My main aim is for offering a habitat and wild space, and to attract all different life. I would also like to see the water and be able to sit nearby etc.

How should I care for the pond? Is now an okay time to take out a bunch of vegetation, or are there certain times of year that you shouldn’t (for amphibian life/young)? Can I top it up with a load of water, and should I add any minerals when doing that?

Please see attached photos for how the pond looks. It’s about 1x1 metre and currently only 15cm or so deep. My main concern is not disturbing any current wildlife at all!!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4869.jpeg
    IMG_4869.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4863.jpeg
    IMG_4863.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4867.jpeg
    IMG_4867.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4864.jpeg
    IMG_4864.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4861.jpeg
    IMG_4861.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
Hi all,
Good afternoon!
Welcome to UKAPS.
How should I care for the pond? Is now an okay time to take out a bunch of vegetation, or are there certain times of year that you shouldn’t (for amphibian life/young)?
Have a look at <"Buglife - The Invertebrate Conservation Trust"> advice <"https://cdn.buglife.org.uk/2019/07/Ponds_1.pdf"> & <"https://cdn.buglife.org.uk/2019/07/Bug-friendly-ponds.pdf"> they are a pretty good charity for advice.
It’s very overgrown, matted with roots and quite shallow.
We've <"probably all been there">, all ponds need some maintenance, even <"wildlife ones">.

cheers Darrel

welcome!
keep us updated on what you discover.
if you enjoy the pond then your gonna love an aquarium packed with plants and a couple of snails!

Si

Back