• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PO4 / NO3 High Consumption

Paulo Soares

Good afternoon,
I´m not going to be very extensive cause i assume most of us know the "EI" assumptions and guideness.
For those who doens´t take a look here:

http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts

So if we have a maximum plant Uptake of:

Nitrate (NO3) 20ppm per week
Phosphate (PO4) 3ppm per week

Please can anyone be kind to explain how a tank can consume at list 3 PPM of PO4 and more than 10 PPM of Nitrate a day?
Quite astonishing isn´t it?

(Be advised is not a testing issue)

Take this Ei receipe for an example.

Slide1_zpsl7astpr0.jpg

Could be any salt precipitation?
Would like to ear some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Ed
I have Tropica Plant Growth and the soil.

What is NO4?
How can a four month old tank be in a process of denitrification? Quite impossible i believe.

I do have a friend that is going through the same as i concerning consumption. Is tank is almost 6 months.

Many thanks dear friend

Downloading and reading.

let´s see if we can get an answer on this.

Big hug

Hi all,
Could be any salt precipitation?
Then PO4 could be absorbed by AS Amazonia,
Either precipitation or anion exchange would do for the phosphorus (P).

If you had alkaline water you could keep adding large amounts of PO4---, the total reservoir of soluble phosphorus would rise, but the amount of soluble (plant available) PO4--- would remain fairly low. This is the situation in a lot of rivers etc in the UK, where measurable available phosphorus is fairly low, but the additional phosphorus reserve would take thousands of years to deplete back to the pre-industrial level.

Pretty much all nitrate compounds are soluble, and mono-valent anions are lightly bound, so neither ion exchange, or precipitation as an insoluble compound, helps with nitrate.

The NO3 may have been out-gassed, via anaerobic denitrification, but it is much more likely to have been incorporated into plant tissue.

It would depend upon the plants, and their access to other nutrients (including CO2), but my suspicion would be that the 20ppm NO3 limit is too small by an order of magnitude (it is only ~5ppm N).

cheers Darrel

Ok guys many many thanks.
Yesterday i did a full water change (hope it was not a mistake) .. i´ll be measuring the days ahead and let´s see if it gets established.

Big HUg

The NO3 may have been out-gassed, via anaerobic denitrification, but it is much more likely to have been incorporated into plant tissue.

You´re right :)
After several readings i agree with you.

Let´s see in the future whemn this phenomenon stops what to do.

Big hug

Back