• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plastic plants are starting to look real good :-(

Uslanja

Having a very difficult time trying to grow easy aquarium plants.

Hi! Thank you for allowing me to attend here tonight......... my name is Dave. It is said that the first step is admitting your problem......... well.......... I am a Plant Killer. I cannot pinpoint the time or place where my problem began but I have come to the realization, as painful as it may be; I cannot grow easy plants. "Listen to your plants" is the mantra that I have been repeating in my head over and over.......... but all I hear is the agonizing screams of the dying. Where have I gone wrong? Is there any help for a wretched lost soul such as myself? Below are two photos of the last two remaining Java Ferns' that I have. But rest assured, I should have these two dead by the weekend!

This one has now started to go.

IMG_2467.JPG

This one is done.

IMG_2471.JPG

On a serious note; any ideas? I will gladly entertain any suggestions or answer any questions.

Hi Dave, firstly how long have you had these plants in the tank? What sort of lights are you using and are you using any sort of fertiliser either root tabs or liquid? Java ferns are pretty robust as long as the Rhizomes aren't under the gravel/soil/ sand whichever you are using, I had a problem with a plant for months but I have finally got it to grow! Just hang in there!

Hi Luke! I am using the Seachem line for frets; Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium, Iron, Flourish Comprehensive and Excel. The dosage is as per the bottle instruction with macro's every 3 days, comprehensive every three days (but not the same day as the macro's), excel daily and the iron once per week. I have not used any root tabs. The substrate is Flourite. Lighting is two 20 Watt (90 Watt equivalent) Par 30 5000k bulbs on swing arm fixtures. (Each light has 1 layer of black fiberglass window screening covering the lens to reduce intensity)

Lighting is the thing I am wondering about. Could it be too bright? (I have started researching ready made lighting fixtures just incase)

I am still trying to establish a fertilization amount and schedule but most of my plants have died.......(except the Cristmass Moss and Duckweed, which are both doing well) so in that regard nothing has actually been established. I have been hoping to switch over to using dry frets but until I can keep a plant alive the premixed is what I have.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

The tank has been up and running for 1 year, 16 days as of this date. Except for the moss, the plants have died and been replaced over time with these two Java Fern being about 2 months old. They started to grow and I thought they were looking good and then this happens.

So that would be 90 watt over what sized tank? The fertiliser seems to be right. It could be a combination of high lights all the nutrients but no co2? Although it doesn't look like co2 deficiency
Maybe another user will be able to advise if this problem can be co2 related. Another question how long are the lights left on for?
We will get the bottom sooner or later :)!

Hi Uslanja, I think your feelings about the lights are correct. I would take one bulb out first and reduce your ferts. Without a full tank shot we can't see how much plant mass you have but I'm assuming it's low, possibly not enough to warrant the recommended dosage - I say this because I've had problems with going overboard with the micro before and it just causes plants to fall apart and die like in your pics. I would keep dosing the glut if you think it's working - but personally I don't think it's that valuable.

If you still struggle after that, well the only other thing I can think of is that your tank is fairly mature - so perhaps an imbalance in microfauna has been allowed to develop. You can help them out by including some mineral stone like montmorillonite or mironekuton in the filter and dosing a bacter product into the water during the water change, this should improve the mineral content of the water and get some new bacteria into the tank and onto the biofilm on your plants. With this, I've been able to keep plants happy in shrimp tanks with barely any fert dosing so I definitely think it's worth a crack.

Best of luck.

Don't get disheartened Uslanja, lot's of experts on here are helping you. They are also more experienced than me, regarding aquatic plants. Over my years of keeping live plants, I have found so called easy ones, that will not grow for some people, yet other plants will.
I have also had planted aquariums, in every room of my house, and, because one plant thrives in one tank, putting the same plant, in another tank, even in the same room may not thrive.
Your first picture, does look like it has been eaten, like Kadoxu asked, especially when we can see what looks like a snail lol.
Try what the experts on here have suggested, if this fails, try a different plant species.

I may not be an expert with aquatic plants, but am very good with house plants (cactus's) and veggies. Over the years, there are cactus's and succulents I can't keep alive, and some veggies that will not grow for me.

On a big bragging note, my oldest cactus, who was planted by my grandmother, is now over 40 yrs old. Yet I can't keep a living stone alive, for longer than 6 months.......

Hi
A full tank shot plus some water parameters would be useful.....filter information!
I do see some new green growth on the Java Fern.
Remove any dying/discoloured.....leaves!
Although Java Ferns are the easier type of plant to keep, they need certain conditions to thrive!
Tie the Java to wood or rock and place where there is decent flow rates from your filter!
Flourite takes time to establish a plant growing environment....purchase some root tabs/sticks add to the gravel!
Purchase some Vallisneria Torta these produce fast root growth which will help mature the substrate!
I've had good success with Sagittarius Subulata & Cryptocorynes planted in Flourite substrate...once planted do not disturb the plants!
Get some stem plants that can be used as a floating plant...Hygrophila difformis/Hygrophila polysperma/Ceratopteris thalictroides..plant some stems and use the rest as floaters!
The floaters are a good indication that you may or may not be adding enough Fertilizers....slow/medium/fast growth!
Your lighting may need adjusting....to suit the changes!
Good luck...;)
hoggie

Hi all,
Yet I can't keep a living stone alive, for longer than 6 months.......
They need high light in the winter, and very careful watering. If you have a room that is cool in the winter that is really useful, it can get down to ~5oC without any problem.

For the watering they need two dry periods, one from late September through to ~ March, and then another from June to ~end of August.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,They need high light in the winter, and very careful watering. If you have a room that is cool in the winter that is really useful, it can get down to ~5oC without any problem.

For the watering they need two dry periods, one from late September through to ~ March, and then another from June to ~end of August.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for that Darrel, but, after killing them previously, I don't think I'll try/kill anymore lol. Visions of cute Living Stones leaping out of small pots at check out squeaking "we ain't going with her....."

Back