• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants that are good with Angels

MikeG747

Hi,

I am thinking of a planted tank with Angels and a few other select fish (as yet undecided) and was wondering if there are any particular planting requirements for angels like there are with Discus?

I have a number of plants already and was just after confirmation about whether most plants would be suitable for them?

Thanks

Mike

As far as I'm aware there are no real worries about plants to go with Angels. Are you concerned about Angels eating them in particular or whether they can tolerate the conditions? In the case of Discus the tank is usually held at a slightly higher temp between 28 and 30 deg's and acidic so some people may opt for plants that are more accustomed to this like Amazonian species. In the case of Angels they are usually just kept in 26 deg water and most if not all the plants we keep are in low ph due to the addition of co2.

As far as I'm aware there are no real worries about plants to go with Angels. Are you concerned about Angels eating them in particular or whether they can tolerate the conditions? In the case of Discus the tank is usually held at a slightly higher temp between 28 and 30 deg's and acidic so some people may opt for plants that are more accustomed to this like Amazonian species. In the case of Angels they are usually just kept in 26 deg water and most if not all the plants we keep are in low ph due to the addition of co2.

Thanks for this, just the confirmation I was after. I was thinking of keeping the angels at around 25-26 degrees. Already inject CO2 into the tank as well so that all fits nicely. Do angels eat plants, I thought they were strictly carnivorous?

Do angels eat plants, I thought they were strictly carnivorous?
No mate AFAIK they don't, I just wondered if you did. If your keeping plants at those temps the worlds your oyster plant wise. I know Angels like a bit of open space to swim in so don't get too jungly other than that you're good.

Hi all,
They like an Amazon Sword leaf (Echinodorus) to spawn on. Echinodorus bleheri used to always be the suggested species, possibly because it was the only one that used to be commonly available, but any broad leaved one will do.

cheers Darrel

:)Try telling the Angels that Darrel, when I kept these fish they would always spawn on the glass or intake pipe of the filter even though swords were in abundance. Same with the Discus, bought a clay cone for them as well and they wouldn't spawn on that.

Try telling teh Angels that Darrel, when I kept these fish they would always spawn on the glass or intake pipe of the filter even though swords were in abundance
Heater normally, even after I put a slate in for them. I never got any fry and eventually killed them off with poor water management. Upset me so much it was one of the reasons I stopped keeping fish.

cheers Darrel

Mine spawned on Anubias leaves.
I didn't give them much choice right enough :)

hi, I have 3 angels In my 175 ltr tank. I have had numerous plants, the angels have never eaten any of them, my angels always lay their eggs on the magnetic algae scraper.i keep the the temp at 26 degrees. all the best roy.

And Darrel, don't beat yourself up about that mate. I think Angels are very good at killing eachother off!! For me they're the crazy Bimbo of the cichlid world. You can look at them all day, but you're glad ya ain't living with them!
Gavin

LoL yeah that's about right.
I think Angels are at their best when they're growing and competing for food. Once they're sexually mature they turn psycho!

And they have dirty faces :) I had some decent size ones which were partial to a neon tetra now and again.

Back