• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting the Dead Zone

Von Bronze

Hello! I'm about to refresh my aquarium/planting and I'm seeking some advice on plant selection for a tricky bit of hardscape.

In the top left of the tank there is effectively a bowl of soil surrounded by rocks. The 'bowl' contains large lava rocks at the base and around 3 inches of soil. Originally this contained monte carlo, but it's been a year and the clumps have failed to spread. Anything planted there seemed to just sit in stasis. (CO2 is injected daily and I've previously had success with that carpeting plant on a prior scape). I'm guessing the issue in that spot is lack of circulation/flow.

I was thinking to remove the soil, and repopulate the area with the existing coral/phoenix moss on large rocks if it's likely they would grow better?

But I could replace the soil with new and try alterative small/carpet plant(s) if anyone has had success in similar situations?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Images attached.

Attachments

• aquarium 2.jpg
    aquarium 2.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 84
  • aquarium1b.jpg
    aquarium1b.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
Hi all,
I was thinking to remove the soil, and repopulate the area with the existing coral/phoenix moss on large rocks if it's likely they would grow better?

But I could replace the soil with new and try alterative small/carpet plant(s) if anyone has had success in similar situations?
I might try something that is tolerant of lower light. It isn't exactly a carpeting plant, but <"Cryptocoryne x willisii"> is fairly small and <"shade tolerant">.

cheers Darrel

"...hydrocotyle tripartita sp. japan, it grows like carpet or a bush, different texture from what you have already"
That's really nice - I could try it in conjunction with the low light plants to see if it'll take hold.

Just to update -

I reworked the tank - refreshed the sand, soil and improved some of the hardscape. In order to get better water flow to the rear corner on the left I redistributed the existing mosses so they taper in height along the cascade: flame>phoenix>coral. I culled a small countries worth of snails.

On planting. I took the advice of DW1305 and Halo2something. Added Cryptocoryne x willisii under the wood, and my local store also had Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis so picked some up to try. However after planting I felt the grassy texture wasn't right. So took Halos advice and ordered the hydrocotyle tripartita sp. japan, which is starting to propegate well. That rear corner is a bit of a jumble of different plants now so it'll be a survival of the fittest.

Thanks for the advice.

Aquarium April24 (2 of 5).jpg

Attachments

• Aquarium April24 (5 of 5).jpg
    Aquarium April24 (5 of 5).jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Aquarium April24 (4 of 5).jpg
    Aquarium April24 (4 of 5).jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Aquarium April24 (3 of 5).jpg
    Aquarium April24 (3 of 5).jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 19