• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted sump

Zante

My peace lilies were suffering a bit under the tank lights, so I set up an external sump and moved them there

41259135_10216672445746331_936422605626277888_n.jpg

I later also added a small Chamaedorea elegans

41395086_10216680043616273_5809388853517090816_n.jpg

And some pothos is waiting in the living room to be added. I'm waiting to get a trellis to put behind the tank for it.

It is pretty much another small scale test for the future 800 litre discus tank.

Hi all,
My peace lilies were suffering a bit under the tank lights
They don't enjoy intense light. In your photo you can see the new large dark green leaves it has grown in lower light levels

I've got a plant of Spathiphyllum wallisii on one of the bedroom window sills, facing NW., and even there it goes fairly yellow and unhappy in the summer. By spring it will be back to green and healthy.

I think really dark green leaves are usually a good indication that a plant will be damaged by high light and tolerant of low light levels, both submerged and emersed.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,They don't enjoy intense light. In your photo you can see the new large dark green leaves it has grown in lower light levels

Not exactly. Those plants have been in the sump just for a couple of days. The darker leaves were growing above the aquarium lights.
But, yeah that was the main issue. Once I noticed that the new lights were annoying the plants I ordered the overflow, but it took quite longer than expected to be delivered.

I've got a plant of Spathiphyllum wallisii on one of the bedroom window sills, facing NW., and even there it goes fairly yellow and unhappy in the summer. By spring it will be back to green and healthy.

I think really dark green leaves are usually a good indication that a plant will be damaged by high light and tolerant of low light levels, both submerged and emersed.

From the pot where I got the ones you see there I also got four more plants that I "parked" in a pot in my living room, and they seem quite happy there. They're not growing very quickly, but that's probably because I forget about them and don't water them as much as I should :D

They are otherwise healthy and with nice strong leaves. If all goes well they will go on the discus tank at the end of next year (why do aquariums always end up at the bottom of priority lists? :( )

You can get interesting root growth with the Swiss cheese plant, Monstera delicios. Grow the plant on the wall above the fish tank and let the aerial roots enter the water. They typically divide and look to my eyes like a Mangrove swamp set of roots. The plant did really well, I used it in a South American cichlid tank. Had to butcher the tank cover.

Hi all,
You can get interesting root growth with the Swiss cheese plant, Monstera delicios.
This idea has come up a couple of times (and I think it is a good one) <"Monstera">, including <"this one"> from @Zante.

@Mick.Dk is the man who's advice we need, I pretty sure he said that he used to design the plantings for a zoo.

He did, it is in <"another Spathiphyllum"> thread.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
You can get interesting root growth with the Swiss cheese plant, Monstera delicios. Grow the plant on the wall above the fish tank and let the aerial roots enter the water. They typically divide and look to my eyes like a Mangrove swamp set of roots. The plant did really well, I used it in a South American cichlid tank. Had to butcher the tank cover.

The Monstera gets a bit big for that. I'd need to feed nitrates to the tank! :D
It is on the cards for the discus tank though. 2 meters of tank should be enough for it to spread its vines.

This idea has come up a couple of times (and I think it is a good one) <"Monstera">, including <"this one"> from @Zante.

@Mick.Dk is the man who's advice we need, I pretty sure he said that he used to design the plantings for a zoo.

He did, it is in <"another Spathiphyllum"> thread.
Nice threats, but always a bit wary of condensation issues, I now live in a very old house. Some monster tanks with waterfalls and fantastic planting crop up on the net. Only need a lottery triple rollover win and Tropical Glass House here we come. As they say Much wants More and the Devil wants All.

Back