• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant suggestions

Killamanjaro

I currently have some java fern in the tank attached to some bogwood, but I don't like the look it has developed since it has produced roots and new growth on its tips. Is there an alternative plant that looks similar to java fern but without the same method of reproduction?

In case I haven't explained it properly, this is what I don't like.

01-java-fern-022.jpg

You can pull off the plantlets.

Do you still want something that attaches to wood or is it the leaf shape/colour you like?

You can pull off the plantlets.

Do you still want something that attaches to wood or is it the leaf shape/colour you like?

I'm not too fussy about it being able to attach to wood, it is mainly the leaf shape and colour I like.

Hi all,
but I don't like the look it has developed since it has produced roots and new growth on its tips.
You may well find this will stop once the plant is settled in. Stress cause the plant to produce new plantlets on the leaves, but if they are settled they often just produce more new leaves.
I'm not too fussy about it being able to attach to wood, it is mainly the leaf shape and colour I like.
You could try a medium sized Cryptocotyne, one with lighter green leaves. <"Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia"> might do.

cheers Darrel

@dw1305 That would make sense then considering I'd only planted it about 2-3 weeks ago and did a couple of massive water changes in that time. I'll give it time and see if it stops as I do like the look of java fern.

@dw1305 That would make sense then considering I'd only planted it about 2-3 weeks ago and did a couple of massive water changes in that time. I'll give it time and see if it stops as I do like the look of java fern.
Like Darrel mentioned, it won't happen once the plant settles... I found out that Java Fern starts replicating like crazy when it gets a bit stressed when I started this hobby. The leaves start diying off, which triggers new plants to grow from it.

I would cut that big leave and plant the new one somewhere in the tank.

Back