• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant I.D pls

jon32

Saw this growing in south west uk in a drainage channel in quite fast moving water, it was growing out of decaying leaf matter etc. It also grows emersed and forms a fair old carpet especially in the summer. It is single stem with 2 leaves.

P1050054_zps7bd470d5.jpg

Looks like cress , mustard :)

I'd be VERY surprised (and highly sceptic), if anyone claim to be able to ID a seedling-plant, at this stage. Wild guesses, at its best!! Sorry:oops:.
Water-cress (Nasturtium) is a very likely guess, all things considered. Should grow into something WAY bigger in summer, though. Try crush it between fingers - if it's realy Water-cress, you can tell by the smell.
Mick.

Difficult to tell as these leaves look like cotyledons, the first leaves plants have when they emerge from seeds that don't have the morphology of future leaves... it would be easier if you take a picture of plants with more and older leaves.

Cheers,
Jordi

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll take some pics of it where it's growing next time I take the dog for a walk. It stays this size all year round but more of it grows emersed than underwater. It does look a bit like mustard cress actually.

Hi all,
They are definitely cotyledons, if the plant always looks like that it is a whole series of seeds germinating and then dying, to be replaced by new seedlings etc.

I don't think it is an aquatic at all, because of the notch at the distal end of the cotyledon I think it is Galium aparine ("Cleavers"). This has a big germination flush in the autumn.

cheers Darrel

Back