• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Phostrogen DIY

MaterialCrab

Hi All,

How do the ingredients look in this for potential DIY fertz?

Is the Ureic Nitrogen too high for fish?

PXL_20240322_105342317.jpg
PXL_20240322_105355626.jpg

Hi all,
How do the ingredients look in this for potential DIY fertz?

It is a concentrated plant food, it should be fine if used very sparingly in a heavily planted tank.

As well as the 2% ammonia, the problem is that we don't know the rate at which urea (CO(NH2)2) will be converted to TAN ammonia.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all,

It is a concentrated plant food, it should be fine if used very sparingly in a heavily planted tank.

As well as the 2% ammonia, the problem is that we don't know the rate at which urea (CO(NH2)2) will be converted to TAN ammonia.

Cheers Darrel
I tried using the calculator from this forum a little earlier but couldn't figure it out.

I'll need to watch the tutorial video I think.

Would the calculator work with this fertilizer?

Hi all,
I tried using the calculator from this forum a little earlier but couldn't figure it out.
It won't be in the IFC calculator. You would need to use a spreadsheet to <"work out the levels of one of the nutrients">, and that would then give you the level of all the other nutrients. <"Because of the toxicity of ammonia"> (NH3) to aquatic life you would need to make sure that your dose was small enough so that ammonia toxicity wasn't an issue.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

It won't be in the IFC calculator. You would need to use a spreadsheet to <"work out the levels of one of the nutrients">, and that would then give you the level of all the other nutrients. <"Because of the toxicity of ammonia"> (NH3) to aquatic life you would need to make sure that your dose was small enough so that ammonia toxicity wasn't an issue.

cheers Darrel
Thank you Darrel for all of your efforts, I think I might just stick with Tropica and use an iron fertilizer which you had suggested to me previously.

Until I can get my hands on dry salts, eBay might be a solution for me.

Ammonia/ammonium is pH dependant. Above pH 7 you will get the very toxic ammonia and below pH 7 the less toxic ammonium ion.
Do you CO2 inject.
Safer to mix your own dry salts but I have used Phostrogen in the distant past but I think the formulation may have changed. Typically a move from nitrates to urea.

Ammonia/ammonium is pH dependant. Above pH 7 you will get the very toxic ammonia and below pH 7 the less toxic ammonium ion.
Do you CO2 inject.
Safer to mix your own dry salts but I have used Phostrogen in the distant past but I think the formulation may have changed. Typically a move from nitrates to urea.
I do use CO2 but my tap water is quite hard so by lights on pH is still sitting at 7.2.

I think my best bet is to try and get salts, I have a friend who lives in northern Ireland so worst case scenario I'll get them delivered to him :)

@MaterialCrab in case if you were still interested in using that fertilizer, the numbers looks something like this:

29.58 gram phostrogen plant food mixed into 500 ml solution, dosed at 20 ml per 50 gallon (189.27 liter)

N 1 (0.125 ppm NH4-N and 0.875 ppm Urea-N)
P 0.275
K 1.24
Mg 0.094
Fe 0.0025
Mn 0.00125
B (not included in this fertilizer)
Zn 0.000344
Cu 0.000344
Mo 0.0001

@MaterialCrab in case if you were still interested in using that fertilizer, the numbers looks something like this:

29.58 gram phostrogen plant food mixed into 500 ml solution, dosed at 20 ml per 50 gallon (189.27 liter)

N 1 (0.125 ppm NH4-N and 0.875 ppm Urea-N)
P 0.275
K 1.24
Mg 0.094
Fe 0.0025
Mn 0.00125
B (not included in this fertilizer)
Zn 0.000344
Cu 0.000344
Mo 0.0001
Wow thank you for that.
Is that a weekly dose or daily?
I'm a complete beginner with this side of the hobby so the numbers above don't mean a whole lot to me lol.

Wow thank you for that.
Is that a weekly dose or daily?
I'm a complete beginner with this side of the hobby so the numbers above don't mean a whole lot to me lol.
that wasn't based on weekly dose but if I were to dose that, I would have dosed 20ml per 50 gallon 3x a week (high tech setup) which is 60 ml total. but i see some problems with this:
Boron is not included, I assume they are relying on natural water which usually contain some Micros including Boron, but it is unknown how much Boron would be present in the natural water.

These Numbers are quite low, especially for the aquarium
Fe 0.0025
Mn 0.00125
Zn 0.000344
Cu 0.000344
Mo 0.0001

as you can see one of the potential reason why you were recommended what Darrel said in the post #6

that wasn't based on weekly dose but if I were to dose that, I would have dosed 20ml per 50 gallon 3x a week (high tech setup) which is 60 ml total. but i see some problems with this:
Boron is not included, I assume they are relying on natural water which usually contain some Micros including Boron, but it is unknown how much Boron would be present in the natural water.

These Numbers are quite low, especially for the aquarium
Fe 0.0025
Mn 0.00125
Zn 0.000344
Cu 0.000344
Mo 0.0001

as you can see one of the potential reason why you were recommended what Darrel said in the post #6
Much appreciated for your efforts and explanation. This is what I loved about this forum when lurking.

There is so much information to be found and no doubt somebody some day will google search Phostrogen and Aquarium and they will be brought here.

Now how did you do the math for that? 😂

I have an iron fertilizer I'm going to use when the pet store stuff runs out.

PXL_20240323_211946554~2.jpg

Much appreciated for your efforts and explanation. This is what I loved about this forum when lurking.

There is so much information to be found and no doubt somebody some day will google search Phostrogen and Aquarium and they will be brought here.

Now how did you do the math for that? 😂

I have an iron fertilizer I'm going to use when the pet store stuff runs out.

View attachment 217402

23.66 gram of this product mixed into 500 ml solution, dosed at 20 ml per 50 gallon (189.27 liter)

Fe 0.1 (0.06 ppm DTPA Fe, 0.04 ppm EDDHA Fe)
Mg 0.345
Mn 0.015 (bit low for Mn when compared to Fe:Mn ratio)

Now how did you do the math for that?
I use mathematic formulas to get these numbers, I may have posted the formula somewhere on this forum, but I no longer post it due to safety reasons, I believe some user can miscalculate the wrong chemicals or misunderstand the chemical formulas.

23.66 gram of this product mixed into 500 ml solution, dosed at 20 ml per 50 gallon (189.27 liter)

Fe 0.1 (0.06 ppm DTPA Fe, 0.04 ppm EDDHA Fe)
Mg 0.345
Mn 0.015 (bit low for Mn when compared to Fe:Mn ratio)

I use mathematic formulas to get these numbers, I may have posted the formula somewhere on this forum, but I no longer post it due to safety reasons, I believe some user can miscalculate the wrong chemicals or misunderstand the chemical formulas.
We are 2 doses in and I shall report back on the weekend to let you know the progress.

Back