• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

ph/c02 discovery that dont quite understand

Hi all,
Interesting is this Root effect, I didn't know about that...
I don't know anything <"about fish physiology">, but about 15 years ago I met <"some Bristol based L number keepers">, they were "proper" fish keepers, but still struggled with the unexpected (and often symptomless) deaths of large rheophilic Plecs. I was pretty sure that these deaths were oxygen related and that led me to look at the possible causes and from <"there to the Root effect">.

Loricariids are really interesting in dissolved oxygen terms, they have been part of <"an adaptive radiation"> from a common ancestor with the ability to gulp air and extract the oxygen from it. Some species <"retain this ability">, this but many genera are adapted to fast flowing, relatively cool streams and are very sensitive to low oxygen levels <"PlanetCatfish.com - Chaetostoma sp. (L277) (Loricariidae) Cat-eLog">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back