• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Peace lily

G H Nelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi gang.
We have a lily that's not been doing to good.
Its some of the leaves turned yellow with brown tips, its very limp and sad....I was going to send it to the big compost heap in the sky but i will give it one last chance of pulling through.
Ive trimmed the yellow leaves off.
Whats the requirements for this plant?
What fertilizers do you feed?
How do you keep it flowering?
How do you keep it healthy?
Cheers
hoggie

Hi all,
Have to be a quicky, as I'm in Germany until next week and don't have regular WWW access. I don't think it is a fertiliser issue, it sounds like the compost has gone anoxic. I'll assume it is a Spathiphyllum.

Knock it out of the pot, what you will probably find is that the root has rooted, and probably part of the rhizome as well. Cut off all the dead roots, and all the dead bits of rhizome. You will hopefully be left with a stub of rhizome (and possibly some leaves at the top), and you should be able to make out the root primordia in the grooves on the rhizome.

If re-pot the rhizome in some much more free-draining compost it should recover. I usually give mine an occasional feed with tomato fertilizer if the leaves are smaller than normal or yellowing, and once it has a reasonable crop of leaves it should flower.

cheers Darrel

Back