• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Optimising algae growth

Andy Pierce

Thinking more about whether EI is still relevant and related considerations around algae, the idea occurs around limiting algae growth to look at what people are doing who are really trying to grow algae, and then don't do what they are doing.

In OPTIMIZATION OF GROWTH CONDITIONS OF DIFFERENT ALGAL STRAINS AND DETERMINATION OF THEIR LIPID CONTENTS algae likes temperatures between 24-28C, pH that is neither low nor high, so ideally 7.5, and prefers fluorescent light to sunlight - there is some data that intense light can be damaging to algae (multiple sources say this). Mixing and aeration are both beneficial to algae.

In Growth parameters and responses of green algae across a gradient of phototrophic, mixotrophic and heterotrophic conditions authors mention there is good data that algae does well with organic carbon - they used sodium acetate and commented this is commonly used to make 'synthetic wastewater'. To be fair, I have suspected that high levels of organic waste (organic carbon) promote algae growth and have tried reasonably vigorously to remove these.

In Algae Growth and Reaction Conditions algae growth is listed as being enhanced by temperature between 20-30C, by light that is neither too strong nor too weak, aeration/mixing, pH that is neutral to slightly alkaline.

Lots of good data in The Growth Factors Involved in Microalgae Cultivation for Biofuel Production: A Review as well, with similar conclusions.

Of course, some of the factors that optimise algae growth will also optimise the growth of the plants we want. I now more strongly suspect the contribution of organic carbon (rotting materials) to be part of the problem. I had thought good water flow would help prevent algae, but apparently algae likes that too. The light intensity thing is interesting as well. I have mitigated algae I believe successfully be reducing the lighting, but there is also the idea now that you could increase the lighting to have a similar effect. Whether algae would be more photosensitive that other plants is obviously a question. I have wondered how @Aquarium Gardens keeps their tanks looking so great - they have very intense (from my perspective) lighting, but maybe that is part of the secret.

Like your angle here.
I wonder if tanks with driftwood are more prone to algae as there must be some kind of rotting/ degrading going on which could lead to its growth?
My tank is over 3 years running now and i know that theres a lot of crap in the soil, that is slightly tipping the scales at the moment.
Since i watched the 2 hr aquarist way of cleaning the substrate with a turkey baster and siphoning at the same time, i am convinced my tank is pretty bad and a leading factor to algae. How can it not be?
And i'm about to set up my first proper light! Exciting stuff.

Just got to remember to enjoy it, what ever!

Si

Like your angle here.
I wonder if tanks with driftwood are more prone to algae as there must be some kind of rotting/ degrading going on which could lead to its growth?
My tank is over 3 years running now and i know that theres a lot of crap in the soil, that is slightly tipping the scales at the moment.
Since i watched the 2 hr aquarist way of cleaning the substrate with a turkey baster and siphoning at the same time, i am convinced my tank is pretty bad and a leading factor to algae. How can it not be?
And i'm about to set up my first proper light! Exciting stuff.

Just got to remember to enjoy it, what ever!

Si
You might be on to something about the wood thing.

Masterline's owner Marian posted on his FB that he uproots everything at some point and deep vacuum the substrate.

That sounds too much work for me(I'd never do that) but I guess if you want to do something do it right

Last edited:
Hi all,
You might be on to something about the wood thing.
I don't think that wood is the sort of organic carbon source that would enhance algal growth.

Heart wood is comprised of lignin, and lignin is very resistant to decay, and right on the edge of biodegradability in energy terms. You can release that energy by oxidation (wood burns), but only a limited range of organisms can exploit it.
Masterline's owner Marian posted on his FB that he uproots everything at some point and deep vacuum the substrate.
I can't see why you would do that. I want the substrate to mature and for natural processes to occur. I can't see any point in re-setting that process.

You don't go around the garden and pull up all the roses, before re-planting them, and I don't really see this as any different.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all,
..... In OPTIMIZATION OF GROWTH CONDITIONS OF DIFFERENT ALGAL STRAINS AND DETERMINATION OF THEIR LIPID CONTENTS algae likes temperatures between 24-28C, pH that is neither low nor high, so ideally 7.5, and prefers fluorescent light to sunlight - there is some data that intense light can be damaging to algae (multiple sources say this). Mixing and aeration are both beneficial to algae.
The green algae have the same photosystems and basic physiology as all the other plants, they are "plants". There are definitely algae that are "turned up to eleven" plants, but there are also algae that grow in oligotrophic conditions as well.
- they used sodium acetate and commented this is commonly used to make 'synthetic wastewater'. To be fair, I have suspected that high levels of organic waste (organic carbon) promote algae growth
You do, and I think it does.
In Algae Growth and Reaction Conditions algae growth is listed as being enhanced by temperature between 20-30C, by light that is neither too strong nor too weak, aeration/mixing, pH that is neutral to slightly alkaline.

Lots of good data in The Growth Factors Involved in Microalgae Cultivation for Biofuel Production: A Review as well, with similar conclusions.

Of course, some of the factors that optimise algae growth will also optimise the growth of the plants we want.
It is back to the all plants argument.

Cheers Darrel

The light intensity thing is interesting as well. I have mitigated algae I believe successfully be reducing the lighting, but there is also the idea now that you could increase the lighting to have a similar effect. Whether algae would be more photosensitive that other plants is obviously a question. I have wondered how @Aquarium Gardens keeps their tanks looking so great - they have very intense (from my perspective) lighting, but maybe that is part of the secret.

Dave at AG, generally tends to use high light from the get go. He did explain why a while ago and I may have forgotten something crucial. But I think the gist is, it’s sort of a race between rapid plant growth and algae control. Basically, he concentrates on growing healthy plants rapidly to inhibit algae. It’s definitely an advanced technique and not for the faint hearted.

Obviously getting a tank up and running in the shortest possible time has a commercial advantage, and it keeps the showroom looking good. That said AG can draw upon a lot of knowledge, skill and resources to grow and keep those tanks looking good. But it doesn’t always go to plan and some scapes need a lot more attention.

Hi all,

I don't think that wood is the sort of organic carbon source that would enhance algal growth.

Heart wood is comprised of lignin, and lignin is very resistant to decay, and right on the edge of biodegradability in energy terms. You can release that energy by oxidation (wood burns), but only a limited range of organisms can exploit it.

I can't see why you would do that. I want the substrate to mature and for natural processes to occur. I can't see any point in re-setting that process.

You don't go around the garden and pull up all the roses, before re-planting them, and I don't really see this as any different.

Cheers Darrel
What Marian told me was that organics buildup and he only does that if he starts getting BBA , also stems need replanting with healthy tops after a while anyway , he mostly keeps dutch style which have mostly stem plants so maybe for him it's not an issue.

Dave at AG, generally tends to use high light from the get go. He did explain why a while ago and I may have forgotten something crucial. But I think the gist is, it’s sort of a race between rapid plant growth and algae control. Basically, he concentrates on growing healthy plants rapidly to inhibit algae. It’s definitely an advanced technique and not for the faint hearted.

Obviously getting a tank up and running in the shortest possible time has a commercial advantage, and it keeps the showroom looking good. That said AG can draw upon a lot of knowledge, skill and resources to grow and keep those tanks looking good. But it doesn’t always go to plan and some scapes need a lot more attention.
I have a lot of time for Dave and his views hope to drive up there one day and meet him , You are right I watched that video , it was GF kind of interviewing him and he basically was saying when people get a bit of alge they reduce the light. He goes the otherway and increase the light and also he spoke about one day a week light and co2 off like a break day which I couldn't understand so I have not tried it.

algae likes temperatures between 24-28C

Green Aqua have their whole premises air conditioned at a constant 22 degrees Celsius. That with the use of remineralize RO water for their tanks was the two main things I took away from my visit from them which on top of regular WC ferts light and Flow/tank turnover to help the plants outcompete/grow better than algae. If anything their tanks was a little low on tank turnover IMO

he spoke about one day a week light and co2 off like a break day which I couldn't understand so I have not tried it.
I'm guessing that'll probably be Sunday, when the showroom is closed.

one day a week light and co2 off like a break day which I couldn't understand
again that sounds like a very controlled environment in which that can be done and goes against what most are trying to do.
Its like a Big Tank Siesta which also saves energy and Co2.
Fluctuations are obviously okay if the lights are off I guess.

Si

If the tanks are stable shutting them down for one day won't do any harm. But there is no need for the likes of us to do the same. I think it's just convenient from a business point of view.

Hi all,
What Marian told me was that organics buildup and he only does that if he starts getting BBA ,
That is certainly plausible.
also stems need replanting with healthy tops after a while anyway , he mostly keeps dutch style which have mostly stem plants so maybe for him it's not an issue.
I'm guessing that is the real difference, the only rooted plants I have tend to be Cryptocoryne spp. which are "perennials". If I had stems, that I continually trimmed and uprooted, there would be much more in the way of detached roots etc,.

It would be more like growing a field of Corn, and ploughing it after harvest.

Cheers Darrel

Neocaridina shrimp and snails are OK at 22C but many tropical fish won't be. Forgetting to plug the heater back in makes them very lethargic and "bottom dwelly".
My focus was on the planted tank/scape first and the livestock was secondary to enhance the plants and scape so I selected livestock to suit, so having a constant running temp of 22 C wouldn't of been an issue for me. If the main focus is the specific livestock that needed higher temps then thats a different Ball Game. My house wasn't air conditioned so temps varied over the seasons, however after my visit to Green Aqua I set the temp in tank to 22 degrees Celsius all my livestock was fine, although summer water temps was above this.

Back