• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

Some feedback from me after approx 6 weeks of using the 600 thermo:

When I initially set the filter up, I used all the included media, with the exception of a tray of matrix. My initial impression was very impressed with the flow, I would guess double of my old ehiem 2217.

Sure enough this flow did not last! I swapped the pre filters to the least fine ones. This helped and I would now say I have a decent flow (all CO2 bubbles are forced down from the diffusor), albeit I need to clean these out every week.

I also get some air bubbles, I would guess once or twice and hour. Cant say this is much of an issue though, if anything provides more O2 to the system.

One caveat is I use 2 canisters (on a 240l). certainly wouldn't get away with just the one Oase.

Any updates on this?
I'm curious if the current models available direct from Oase are problem free now.

Thanks, I ended up ordering two 600 Thermos direct from Oase. :)
Does anyone know how much one weighs when filled up and running? Guesstimate? Thinking of putting them on a platform with heavy duty drawer slides.
Would make it a breeze to remove the prefilter.

From their website net weight is 6.7kg. Filter and pre-filter volume combined is 7.4litres. At 1kg per litre that gives:
14.1kg

If you also assume a bit of weight in the hoses etc and he fact that the package weight is 7.9kg according to Amazon, If I were working on a draw design, I'd work with:
16kg

From their website net weight is 6.7kg. Filter and pre-filter volume combined is 7.4litres. At 1kg per litre that gives:
14.1kg

If you also assume a bit of weight in the hoses etc and he fact that the package weight is 7.9kg according to Amazon, If I were working on a draw design, I'd work with:
16kg
Awesome. Thank you, sir! :thumbup:

How good is the prefilter at keeping the rest of the filter clean? I saw in my LFS how quick it was to clean but Im reluctant to swap an Eheim 2080 for one.

How good is the prefilter at keeping the rest of the filter clean? I saw in my LFS how quick it was to clean but Im reluctant to swap an Eheim 2080 for one.

About 30 seconds taking the pre filter out and putting it back in. Then however long it takes to rinse a few sponges. I can’t see how any system would be quicker than this.

You can leave the rest of the filter for 2-3 months.

If anyone is looking for the 350 with no heater, I found it for £155, which is around £30 cheaper than usual. I’ll get the link if anyone wants it.
There’s also a 2nd hand one on eBay at the moment.

On my Thermo 600, I'm cleaning the prefilter (foam 30ppi) every 2 weeks and the canister media (2 racks with foam & 4 racks with Aquario Neo Media Soft) every 3 months.
Even after 3 months they're not super dirty.

I'm still working on my build so haven't actually used them yet, but to make it even easier I built this pull out platform.

i-GFwsdjS-L.jpg

i-QvsWssf-L.jpg

Hopefully these prove to be reliable as the set up of the pre filter is a game changer over most designs like eheim

I have the Biomaster 600 with heater and am having constant air bubbles.

The problem subsides if I keep the filter tilted so that the heater is lower than the out/intake. This makes me suspicious that air is coming in through the heater on the top.

I'm going to grease or replace the O-ring and give it a try.

I have the Biomaster 600 with heater and am having constant air bubbles.

The problem subsides if I keep the filter tilted so that the heater is lower than the out/intake. This makes me suspicious that air is coming in through the heater on the top.

I'm going to grease or replace the O-ring and give it a try.

I’ve seen an oase filter used in a marine set up and there was a lot of salt creep around either the primer button or prefilter...I can’t remember which, but the video was on YouTube. If there’s salt creep there will be air entering too.

About 30 seconds taking the pre filter out and putting it back in. Then however long it takes to rinse a few sponges. I can’t see how any system would be quicker than this.

You can leave the rest of the filter for 2-3 months.

If anyone is looking for the 350 with no heater, I found it for £155, which is around £30 cheaper than usual. I’ll get the link if anyone wants it.
There’s also a 2nd hand one on eBay at the moment.

Do you know if that deal is still available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggestions for filling the trays? What are you guys using and in what order?

Back