• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster Pro 2 - Comming Soon

The Biomaster seems well made to me, and being able to include a heater is an obvious omission made by the likes of Eheim and Fluval etc. Apart from that I’m not overly impressed. The flow path seems overly complex which surely can’t help the flow? The interior pre-filter sounds like a good idea but like many other external filters the Biomaster suffers from bypass. That is to say that a certain amount of dirty water ends up in the main body of the filter. This is obvious when I clean it out, the bottom of the casing contains dark dirty water. I believe this is by design though, and a technique used by other manufacturers as well to maintain the flow. The upside though for many is that whilst the pre-filter isn’t entirely effective, it is easy to remove and clean. External pre-filters are a much better idea but perhaps a bit of a faff to clean and adds additional “plumbing”.
If I had the funds I’d go for an ADA Superjet with a sponge on the inlet pipe. It’s a shame ADA don’t make one with a heater.

If I had the funds I’d go for an ADA Superjet with a sponge on the inlet pipe. It’s a shame ADA don’t make one with a heater.
I think (if I had the space!!) I would go for a sump in the end with a mix of foam and a moving bed of plastic media. Not only does it take away some of the risks of a closed system (BB DO starvation in a power outage, for one), I could really keep everything outside and massively aerate the water with very little inside the actual aquarium.

One day, Brad. One day........ [Fade in dream sequence]

I think (if I had the space!!) I would go for a sump in the end with a mix of foam and a moving bed of plastic media. Not only does it take away some of the risks of a closed system (BB DO starvation in a power outage, for one), I could really keep everything outside and massively aerate the water with very little inside the actual aquarium.

One day, Brad. One day........ [Fade in dream sequence]
Back in the day (early 1980’s) Trickle filters were the thing. I seriously considered it but apart from the cost, there were a couple of issues that put me off. Space, noise, evaporation and convenience. Sumps have similar issues so unless something different comes along I’m hooked on the convenience of canister filters, at least for the size of tanks I’m ever likely to own. I’ve never actually wanted a huge tank so the range of canister filters on the market is more than big enough for my needs.
I’m still considering a 200L plus tank but I still can’t work out what decor I’d like.

The pipe work looks cheaper than on the older model.
Yes, but probably that accounts for half of the improvement in flow. Now is one smooth curve instead of two sharp 90 degrees corners.
Did they done anything else to the prefilter than the tube and sponge? I'm looking for small holes in head? For air drainage?

Back