• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nutrient Dosing Calculator

Is that bad, then? Or just out of normal balance for pre-mixed ferts?

Well, not bad per se, but I am surprised potassium (K) is so high compared to N. Phosphorus also is high compared to N. I am talking about APT Complete and APT EI. And it's strange that N is so low, considering it is the main macro element, which should be at least 2-3 times higher than phosphorus. If I had to use one of those fertilizers, I'd add some nitrogen from other sources (either from the substrate or other liquid fertilizer)

Well, not bad per se, but I am surprised potassium (K) is so high compared to N. Phosphorus also is high compared to N. I am talking about APT Complete and APT EI. And it's strange that N is so low, considering it is the main macro element, which should be at least 2-3 times higher than phosphorus. If I had to use one of those fertilizers, I'd add some nitrogen from other sources (either from the substrate or other liquid fertilizer)
It's a proprietary formula, namely the "Capstone formula", whatever that means. Beyond this, it is well known that 2HrsAquarist fertilizers limit N in order to increase plant coloration. This is one of their selling arguments. It is assumed when using APT fertilizers you are also using a rich substrate wich contains enough N. Limiting N also potentially decreases algea development.

Last edited:
@fablau
Looking at the 2hrs Aquarist website guaranteed analysis % values, they are being reported/expressed as oxydes: P2O5, K2O and MgO. This would require a convertion in order to obtain P, K and Mg. This is what we have done for all the fertilizers in the IFC Calculator whenever a manufacturer reported the values as oxydes. The idea being that we are as close as possible to what they say. This does not mean it is more accurate because the manufacturer could very well be intentionnaly misleading people in order to prevent/limit cloning of their products but we wanted to remove our bias from the calculations.

Anyway, this is what we get with no conversion. Same numbers as you:
APT0/1
APT 0:1.jpg

APT3
APT 3.jpg

APT EI
APT EI.jpg

This is what we get with conversion of the oxydes:
APT0/1
APT 0:1_CONVERTED.jpg

APT3
Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 13.44.38.jpg

APT EI
APT EI_CONVERTED.jpg

And these were the values we had from the time 2hrs Aquarist reported the content of its fertilizers in PPM rather than in %:
Screen Shot 2024-07-03 at 09.56.18.jpg

Last edited:
It's a proprietary formula, namely the "Capstone formula", whatever that means. Beyond this, it is well know that 2HrsAquarist fertilizers limit N in order to increase plant coloration. This is one of their selling arguments. It is assumed when using APT fertilizers you are also using a rich substrate wich contains enough N. Limiting N also potentially decreases algea development.

That's a BIG trap. Never limit nutrients. That's hard to handle, and you may easily end up creating the problem you were trying to avoid in the first place.

Better use balanced products like Thrive, which I always recommend to beginners:

And for more advanced hobbyists, I'd recommend making your own fertilizers from raw elements. I have been doing that for years and never had algae issues ever since.

01.jpeg

02.jpeg

03.jpeg

@Hanuman and @fablau - thank you so much for the insights and advice. This is exactly what this forum is all about. Thank you.

I dont use C02, and have easy plants - but even so, it seems I may need to re-think my Fert strategy.

That's a BIG trap. Never limit nutrients. That's hard to handle, and you may easily end up creating the problem you were trying to avoid in the first place.
Not to enter into a fert debate, but there is no one-fit-all fert formula. They all have their pro & cons. Some people like to prioratize coloration over growth speed, and some other growth over coloration. I understand both approaches and have experienced boths. They both work fine and have different outcomes. The important thing with N-limiting ferts in the water column is that one needs to have a rich substrate and make sure you fertilize your substrate after a couple of months in order not to run into N deciciences, which yes can mess things up if you don't.

Last edited:
This has been very, very insightful. Thanks once again.

Not to enter into a fert debate, but there is no one-fit-all fert formula. They all have their pro & cons. Some people like to prioratize coloration over growth speed, and some other growth over coloration. I understand both approaches and have experienced boths. They both work fine and have different outcomes. The important thing with N-limiting ferts in the water column is that one needs to have a rich substrate and make sure you fertilize your substrate after a couple of months in order not to run into N deciciences, which yes can mess things up if you don't.

Yes, of course, if you have a nitrogen-rich substrate, you can get away with that kind of fertilization. But in my experience, the EI system is the easiest one, mostly for beginners. It is cheap because you can use inert substrates such as sand or gravel, and you can make your own fertilizers from raw elements, adopting the EI regime by fertilizing just the water column, which is really a no-brainer and always gives excellent results. And that works for low-tech tanks as well, even cheaper (same proportions but 10x less fertilizer amount).

Hi all,
but I am surprised potassium (K) is so high compared to N. Phosphorus also is high compared to N. I am talking about APT Complete and APT EI. And it's strange that N is so low, considering it is the main macro element, which should be at least 2-3 times higher than phosphorus.
It's a proprietary formula, namely the "Capstone formula", whatever that means.
I think they must have invented it. There is a "capstone course" one that allows students to demonstrate expertise in their subject area, so maybe it is meant to imply expertise in fertiliser formulation?
Beyond this, it is well know that 2HrsAquarist fertilizers limit N in order to increase plant coloration. This is one of their selling arguments.
This gets a mention in <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?"> - <"How to make red root floaters (Phyllanthus fluitans) redder?">
Looking at the 2hrs Aquarist website guaranteed analysis % values, they are being reported/expressed as oxydes: P2O5, K2O and MgO. This would require a convertion in order to obtain P, K and Mg. This is what we have done for all the fertilizers in the IFC Calculator whenever a manufacturer reported the values as oxydes. The idea being that we are as close as possible to what they say. This does not mean it is more accurate because the manufacturer could very well be intentionnaly misleading people in order to prevent/limit cloning of their products
It isn't an <"attempt to mislead">, agricultural fertiliser are legally required quote the values of potassium (K) etc. as their oxides. It is <"an historical artefact"> from when potassium fertilisers were derived from <"potash"> etc.
To convert P2O5 to P you multiply by 0.436.

If you want to know how much PO4--- that is, it is bit more complicated because you need to know the percentage of P in P2O5 (43.7) and the percentage of P in PO4 (32.6), the divide 43.7/32.6 = 1.34, so 10 mg/L P2O5 = 13.4 mg/L PO4, to go the other way around PO4 to P2O5 its 32.6/43.7 to give you multiply by 0.747.

Potassium (K) from potassium oxide (K2O) is fairly straight forward, just multiply by 0.83 to give the value
I dont use C02, and have easy plants - but even so, it seems I may need to re-think my Fert strategy.
I'd just use @Happi 's <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination"> mix. This is what I do, but with the <"Duckweed Index">, rather than adding a set amount weekly.

The difference between <"aquarium"> and commercial horticultural fertilisers is that horticultural fertilisers have to work.

In horticulture no one can get away with selling the <"World's most expensive water"> etc. If fertilisers didn't work, or weren't cost effective? No-one would buy them and the company making them would have gone out business. It is as simple as that.

cheers Darrel

I think they must have invented it. There is a "capstone course" one that allows students to demonstrate expertise in their subject area, so maybe it is meant to imply expertise in fertiliser formulation?
I think so too. It sounds neerdy so people get attracted by it!
It isn't an <"attempt to mislead">, agricultural fertiliser are legally required quote the values of potassium (K) etc. as their oxides.
I am aware of this, but while doing the IFC Calculator we have seen how in some instances some manufacturers sometime either are conveniently unaware of this or turned things in a way that is confusing to the user. In the case of 2hr Aquarist since they are now reporting the oxydes (P2O5, K2O and MgO) it is important to then convert them which is what I did.

Hi all,
..... but while doing the IFC Calculator we have seen how in some instances some manufacturers sometime either are conveniently unaware of this or turned things in a way that is confusing to the user. In the case of 2hr Aquarist since they are now reporting the oxydes (P2O5, K2O and MgO) it is important to then convert them which is what I did.
I fully agree, it would make much more sense to quote everything as the elemental concentration, there is no ambiguity then.

cheers Darrel

Back