• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie - Fluval Plant 3.0 / Fluval Shaker 168

martins8585

Hi - I'm a newbie so apologies in advance if this is a stupid question but after a Google I'm struggling to find an answer.

I've recently set up a Fluval Shaker 168 which I'm happy with and has been running for around 5 weeks. As I'm keen to ensure my plants thrive I decided to upgrade the lighting but due to the location of the tank and children in the house I wanted keep the lids in place. After some research I found this limited my options and went with the Plant 3.0 36W.

After installing the light I noticed it sits higher than the light that came in the tank and under the lower lid (there's two in place that slide under / over each other) although it's not touching, the gap between the lower lid and the top of the light is only around 1mm.

Having had the light running it doesn't seem to get especially warm but does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is likely to cause any issues?

Comments from anyone that's done a similar thing and fitted this light to their Shaker aquarium would be particularly welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Martin

Thank you for your question it was around 5mm with the old light and the picture should give a better idea.
Fluval Plant .jpg

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.
Having had the light running it doesn't seem to get especially warm
I'm going to guess that is the important bit.
..... and has been running for around 5 weeks. As I'm keen to ensure my plants thrive I decided to upgrade the lighting
How do your plants look at the moment? Can we have a full tank shot of the plants? It will really help us.

cheers Darrel

Thank you for your question it was around 5mm with the old light and the picture should give a better idea.
Looks to be quite a difference, but as you say it doesn't seem to get especially warm, and the manual doesn't mention a minimum distance between the light and any lid, so I think you'll be ok.

I have a Fluval Plant 3.0 and it's not struck me as something that gets too warn. Mine is mounted to the top of my hood using Fluval Light brackets, and it really only gives a few millimetres of space between the top of the light and the hood. If there were heat problems, then the brackets would have provided more space. I therefore think that it's OK.

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.

I'm going to guess that is the important bit.

How do your plants look at the moment? Can we have a full tank shot of the plants? It will really help us.

cheers Darrel
Thank you for all your replies and here’s a picture of my tank. (I’m sure there’s lots to be improved!!)

IMG_9879.jpeg

Having had the light running it doesn't seem to get especially warm but does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is likely to cause any issues?
The plant 3 light won't get much hotter than the original aquasky, I've just touched mine now and it's about the same temperature as my mug feels with a freshly made cup of tea in it. The lights been on 7hrs.

I have various incarnations of aquasky, aquasky 2 and plant 3 in lided romas, granted its not a shaker but the lights sit close to the underside of the lid in the same manner and the lids themselves are fine even with 2 or 3 lights beneath them.

Soooo, breathe easy, it shouldn't cause any issues.

Lids removed for photo.
20221022_131004.jpg

20240306_192152.jpg

Yeah, classic mistake @John q. Simply not enough lighting in that aquarium. ;)

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to share their experiences - much appreciated!

Back